• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
weejp

Do I Have A Serious Problem On My Hands?

weejp

Well, ever since I've owned this 1.6 Gti, I've been aware it was a bit smoky and smelly. Was advised it required stem seals replacing, I bought them but have yet to have them fitted, I'm no mechanic as you can probably tell..!!

Car has done roughly 930 miles in my ownership and on a few occasions I've had to top up the coolant after the warning light has popped on. Are the 2 issues connected by any chance or am I looking at 2 separate problems..??

I'm due to start a mechanics night class in January and was wondering if the stem seals are a job I could attack there? Is it a time consuming task as the class is limited to 2.5 hours, and like I say I'm a novice.

Masekwm

I'm putting off doing the same job.

It's a case of taking the head off, so takes in a cambelt & waterpump change, head gasket, skim, valve clearances, etc.

From searching the forum, the main worry is the head bolts.

The Haynes covers this very well in my opinion. You may find someone willing to do the stem seals without removing the head

shalmaneser

you can get a device that can check whether there's any exhaust gases in the coolant - any local garage should be able to do this for a tenner or whatever, or you can buy one - they're fairly cheap on ebay and can be useful. Generally speaking blue smoke is oil, white smoke is coolant - that's not foolproof though, when the HG went on my 306 TD there was no smoke at all, it was just loosing coolant.

If the head gasket has gone (just pray it's not a cracked liner - but it's probably not!) then you'll have to whip the head off and get it skimmed - while you're at it you can clean up the valves, check the guides and put on new seals. It's actually easy enough to do - it's just a question of remembering what order to take things apart.

while you're at it you may as well change the cambelt, tensioners and water pump, as you'll need to take the cambelt off to get the head off. There are tons of little jobs that you can do a lot easier when the engine is in bits.

It's not a quick job though; you'll need to get the head to a machine shop where they can skim off a layer of metal to give you a perfectly flat surface, then either pay them to clean and rebuild the head (that's what i did, I'm lazy and lapping in valves has a reputation as a crappy job!) or rebuild it yourself.

rebuilding the head is the sort of thing you can do in a class, but be aware you'll be without a car for at least a week if you go fully hell for leather at the job. assume it'll take two weeks at least given it's your first time; I'm sure there are people here that can do it in a weekend, but you've got to allow yourself time for cock ups and getting the wrong part/not having the right spanner/whatever.

It's not a hard job though, just take your time and you'll learn a hell of a lot, and i'm sure the headgasket has been documented here on the forum a good few times! It's a great feeling when you start the car for the first time and it doesn't blow up!

Good luck!

Haynes 205 PDF is HERE so have a good read though that too!

ETA - or, the head gasket might not have gone, and yes, you can replace stem seals 'in situ' but it's a bit of a whore.

Edited by shalmaneser

dcc

For the sake of the hasstle it would cause you, would it not be worth fitting a known good new engine. (£20 to hire a engine crane and £50-100 for a known condition engine?) maybe even 1.9.

weejp

OK, thanks for the replies.

Really gutted if I'm being honest, whilst I'm keen to try certain DIY jobs on the 205 this really sounds way too complicated for me, I truly have no mechanical background. I realize it's a difficult thing to price but how much would the whole shebang cost to get done at a garage?

I'm quite keen to keep the original engine as it's only got just over 70k on the clock.

GLPoomobile

If I can whip the head off and replace the stem seals, then any muppet can! ;)

It's not complicated, it's just time consuming. Mine probably took 1 to 2 weeks but that was just doing little bits here and there. Soaked the head bolts in plus gas over a few days, then spent a few hours whipping everything apart and getting the head off. Then spent a few hours stripping the head down. Then spent a few hours cleaning the head. Then painted the head. Then fitted the new seals and put the head back together. Then spent a few hours getting the head back on and everything abck together. And finally spent more than a few hours (this was the only bit I struggled with) fitting the new timing belt.

The only bit that was scary was undoing the headbolts, as for me, if one had sheared I'd be right in the s*it. That's why I played it safe by making sure I let the PLusgas soak in over 3 or 4 days. They came off a treat :o

shalmaneser

probably a £300+ pounds for a headgasket I'd guess, but prices vary wildly up and down the country.

It's really not hard at all, we're all here if you get stuck! Just bite the bullet and go for it, and take plenty of photos!

weejp
probably a £300+ pounds for a headgasket I'd guess, but prices vary wildly up and down the country.

It's really not hard at all, we're all here if you get stuck! Just bite the bullet and go for it, and take plenty of photos!

Thanks shalmaneser, makes me want to give it a go that kind of talk. It's not a daily driver in fact it's only been out of the garage for merely a few hours in the last month - I should get out my Haynes manual, grow some balls and try it, but.......

I have a socket set - but wouldn't say it's comprehensive - anything else I'd need?

Rom

Go for it mate. If its not your daily driver, you dont have much to lose.

Worst case is youll ruin something. Which can always be replaced. As said, another good engine would only cost £200 ish tops.

Haynes will be very useful, a lot of people slate them, but they are pretty decent imo. Not a bible, but still useful. Add that to us lot, and anything you need to know is at your finger tips !

Tool wise, youd be surprised at how little you need. Its often easier with a comprehensive set, but very doable with minimal tools. And anything you do need will be a good addition to the toolkit your gonna need to keep a 205 in tip top shape :)

Generally, socket set, breaker bar, extensions, lever bar, screwdrivers, few allen keys, some spanners etc. Nothing out of the ordinary really.

As said, take some photos before you start, as they will help remind you where things went ! And nice to have to show progress, problems etc. Keep tidy, use boxes or some method to keep bolts etc so you dont have a pile of bolts and no clue where they went.

Label wires, plugs etc.

While its off, replace the cambelt (with a kit) and water pump. Along with a head set to cover all the gaskets youve taken off, and new head bolts.

Give it a go, its how many people learnt. And once your stuck in, its not that daunting.

dcc

If you take the head off, dont forget about the bloody extra spacer above the water pump housing!

shalmaneser

mate if its not a daily driver then stop messing around and get balls deep!

you'll need (off the top of my head)

torque wrench

angle gauge

decent (not monkey metal) socket set

screwdrivers

allen keys

torx socket for head bolts

erm thats about it actually.

oh yeah a 13mm ratchet spanner can be a godsend.

undoing the crank bolt can be a pain, you might need a mate with a big screwdriver to jam against the flywheel for this.

as far as parts go, you can get all the gaskets from a motor factors (GSF/ECP/whatever) - just tell them what your doing and they'll sort you out. May as well buy a new waterpump and cambelt while your at it, and a new aux driver belt.

have a really good read of the haynes manual before you do it, I'd print it out personally, so you can get it all greasy and proper looking. maybe make notes?

theres nothing like walking into halfords at 3.30 on a saturday covered in grime clutching a grease smeared bit of paper, going straight to the tools section, consulting carefully before presenting your item to cashier.

Small children will cry, women will gaze in awe and men buying s*it camping gear will be jealous. You may as well have a sign saying 'this is what real men do'. At least thats how it works in my head.

SeanO'Connor

I did my headgasket 4 valves(belt broke) water pump, stemseals measured valve clearence and obviously new belt and tensioner all in a little over 5 hours.

jengis
theres nothing like walking into halfords at 3.30 on a saturday covered in grime clutching a grease smeared bit of paper, going straight to the tools section, consulting carefully before presenting your item to cashier.

Small children will cry, women will gaze in awe and men buying s*it camping gear will be jealous. You may as well have a sign saying 'this is what real men do'. At least thats how it works in my head.

LMFAO!!! genius! :)

Sign in to follow this