• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest p whack

S16 Tuning

Guest p whack

Hi guys im new on here i own a 306 which i am putting an s16 engine into and was wondering what are the best things to do to these engiens? to extract the most useable power for the road and not kill your wallet totally on fuel?/

cheers

pete

welshpug

try harder :lol: there's hundreds of threads covering what people have done, don't forget that your RFY engine was also called the Mi16 when it was found in the Phase 2 405.

At the end of the day its down to how big your wallet is, but any kind of tuning will make it thirstier if you use the extra available power...

Guest p whack

not that bothered about fuel consumption to be honeset lol was juts looking for some advice to get sat 175 - 185 bhp?

cherry_red

On the cheap with little gains:

Air filter induction kit....Ported throttle body....chipped ecu.....sports de cat.

More money more power gains :angry: :

Inlet cam.....mild head porting.....better flowing exhaust system.....throttle bodies....aftermarkert engine management.

Loads of money and time :) :

Big valves....ported head....big pistons....supercharger....group a ancillaries.

If your on a tight budget why not go for the gti6 engine with 167bhp standard :lol: ???

Guest p whack

cost of parts is fine, was thinking of getting the head ported and polished, a cam dont know which one to get help?? a remap and a lightened flywheel but this will reduce torque

cherry_red

Really its what you want the car for?? I think IMO you need plenty low down torque if its a road car. So cam choice is important, as a rally cam wouldn't help as it will reduce low down torque. Personally a mild fast road cam would be better I have a kent bp270.

I may be completely wrong though :lol:

Guest p whack

Thats why i was thinking off keeping the flywheel the same, so a kent cam? or a peter taylor stage 2 cam? remap and port and polish? what sort of power and torque should i see over standard?

Mikey S

bin the crappy avac inlet manifold for a start and fit the gti-6 manifold. this together with a remap of the standard ecu will free up the horses a little more.

but i would combine that with 3 angle valve seats, port, set of cams and verniers then having it remapped. that should see 175 bhp-ish i'd have thought.

petert

The S16 (XU10J4) is a great engine but has one fundamental flaw. The piston sits 1mm down the bore. The only way to cure this is to strip the engine and deck the block. However, depending on the age, you'd probably opening a can of worms as these engines suffer badly from bore wear.

If you've got good compression, I'd just fit a new inlet cam, 1.9L GTi injectors, and GTi6 manifold. You'll be amazed at the result.

All the stuff you read about Mi16 heads in regards to big valves, porting etc., also applies to the S16, as they're identical. Just do the basics.

DrSarty

Some things I'd forget are big valves and the idea that lightening the flywheel is gonna reduce torque. On the latter, I can't figure out how you've come to that conclusion. :)

IF (big IF) your ACAV (variable inlet tract) system is working well, I've heard these engines are stonkingly good and torquey low down. If it's pants, then losing it and swapping it with the GTI6 inlet (remembering to remove the resonance box first & bung the hole) will not only save weight, but give you a nice inlet roar and do away with the air flow meter.

However, I have heard from Magic that GTI6 inlets with an aftermarket cone filter on - where the filter is directly attached to the throttle body & immediately behind the radiator - actually lose power. So an induction kit may be good, sited correctly with cold air feed, but otherwise I'd forget that too and stay wilth a standard airbox and filter. It was designed like that for a reason; alternatively fit a nice big airbox off another car from a breaker's yard, with a new (cheap) paper filter.

If you're going to take the head off, then you might as well put in either PeterT's cam (stage I, II or even III) or a Cat Cam (from QEP for example) on the inlet. I wouldn't mess around with the exhaust cam at all if you want cheap, as then you're down the road of vernier pullies, after market ECUs and mapping sessions, and then the pounds in your pocket begin to rapidly disappear.

As Pete said, stay with the basics. Check and clean things such as inlet tracts, breather hoses, throttle body, oil, plugs, spark quality from the coils, lube linkages etc and see how she runs now before changing too much to see what your starting point is. You may be happy (if she's reliable) and decide not to do anything at all, and use the money to keep it that way instead.

Just another view.

Rich

mrswampy

Ive had my s16 for a few years now and not had a single problem with the avac system

you do have to make sure though that not only does it work correctly but is also set up correctly

i have worked ön several where the butterflys never fully open and/or close

this can be rectified by adjusting the rod lengths

i have a modified inlet and throttle body, both have being opend up and port matchd, spindles cut down, screws countersunk, knife edged leading edges

ptfe 5mm thick inlet gasket

massive bmc filter

custom cold air feed

ngk r plugs gapped to 9mm

peugeot sport group a twin tube decat, heat wrapped

scorpion system

realy need to get it on rollers as since the inlet and decat have being fitted power/torque is up on it

Sign in to follow this