• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
averyaaron1979

New Year New Project Advice Needed

averyaaron1979

thanks for all the help from everyone, with the other thread, but it highlighted problems i hadn't thought about, the project is still in the idea stage and i am still trying to research as much as possible at the moment.

the reason i have decided against a mi with a charger was due to all the problems that are likely to be associated with oil surge etc and i don't really want to keep stripping the block and re-building every so often. the other big deciding factor was that i may just run her in the midlands sprint/hillclimb in the near future and going the mi and charging was going to throw me in a high group that i would stand no chance and i haven't checked to ensure that fitting the charger to an 8v won't either.

i was after a reasonable power output but more intersted in the torque, that's why i was looking more into supercharger than turbocharger, unless anyone wants to correct ( as i am no mechanic or even experienced in this field ).

i have no interest in large bhp figures but more torque, the car will never be able to manage more than 120 or much more due to design etc and also british track but i would rather have the low end grunt and pull for the smaller tracks and be able to pull away better than other vehicles.

the carb route was down to an idea that was thrown to me by a friend who builds all manner of daft vehicles and had read of an turbo'd mi on carbs and thought it was an idea that may just work. i am after a system that will be basic and work well and not have many restrictions on ie the original inlet manifold/throttle body etc anc can be tuned to what i am after.

my intial plan was a 1900 8v engine

running carbs, unknown if these will be either webers/bikes etc in a sealed intake bo with air intake from the headlight into the charger, directed into a intercooler either infront or behind the raditaor and then directed straight to the sealed carb box. hopefully this shortened distance will reduce boost lag.

as for the inlets for the carbs i have read other threads and came across info that was if i extended the inlet tracts to approx 100mm this would increase torque, would this be the case if increased to 150mm?

unknown cam as i have been advised so far for a catalytic 8v cam or can i go for another cam ie pts torque cam??

is it wise to change the springs for uprated items to cope?

unfortunately i have no idea when refered to having different pistons under their codes as i have very little peugeot knowledge and i have tried to work which i am after.

can anyone tell me where on the engine the code to work out what base engine i have is?

to start to work out all the engine prep work needed is there any bearings etc i need to collect first and start to put together prior to engine re-build.

would it be a wise idea to change the head to an xu10 head or to have the original worked ie ported polished and oversized valves and 3 angle seats? the only reason for that thought was down to the xu9 head being a limiting factor if i remember correctly.

the charger i was looking into was a eaton m45 charger off a mini s as proved they fit to the 8v block reasonably easy and are quite readily available. would a i bar boost sound right for my aim or should it be lower than that?

would the mi box with a 4.4 final be a worthwhile box to use or should i be looking at a different set up all together? i have no idea on which cluth yet other than it will need to be strong to cope. is there any need to change the gearbox bearing and can this be done easily?

although i have started to look into the engine side of things with this project i have got to ensure the rest of the pug is up to and have started tom look into the suspension side of things so far. it will be a 309 beam with 27mm arb and standard torisons, but this may be changed at a later date, with grp a rear mounts.

i was looking into race bushes ( or so called ) for the front wishbone arms , arb etc as it shall run a 309 arb upfront. is there any other suspension upgrades other than coilover s than i need to investigate? can anyone put any ideas experiences forward for this?

sorry for all the questions and lack of knowledge but as i said before this is the reasearch time for the project and i would rather use the knowledge that is far greater than mine than just plod on with things and balls things up.

thanks again

aaron

madspikes

I'm currently in the mists of fitting an e45 to my 8v. If you havent already you might want to check out my thread. My Thread

My Pics

Using the standard 6 rib pulley off a Mi / 406 and the standard pulley on the e45 should give you around 0.5 bar (7psi) of boost. My car is nearly running, had issues with monkey mechanics (namely me) which resulted in needing a new engine shorly before its first test drive, but the new engine is nearly in and should be up and running in the new year.

I'm happy to give any advice...

Mad.

averyaaron1979

mad cheers for that it was your thread that gave me the idea for it and i am just looking into it all, i was going to ask a fair amount of questions from what you have so far gained experience wise and i shall do that via PM.

i was in the hope that some of the others well learned people on here may have given advice on what i am looking into. i am currently reasearching as many aspects of the project and currently building a plan of the engine work and shall be carrying out this in due course.

can i ask what state of re-build are or have you done prior to the second test with the charger?

aaron

madspikes

Someone is actaully reading my thread, wow! ;)

Well, I bought the second engine, did a compression test and basically dropped it into the pug. :o I'm hopfully going to run the engine up today, with the charger pipe disconnected. This engine is really only for development and not for long term use, and as once the car is up and running I'm going to rebuild my other block. As I'm only running low boost, a standard compression engine should be fine :( !! Well, thats what the concept is anyway!

Mad. B)

Sign in to follow this