• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

RossD

[trackday_prep] Project 150

RossD

Quick update: Eventually got the bodies balanced and a rock steady 1000rpm tickover, even the emissions came right down to 2.5% CO with minimal tweaking of the base map.

It took a while to get the bodies sync'd, but you can tell from the exhuast note when you've got it right, it smoothes right out.

RossD

Thought I'd give the old girl a bit of a wash and scrub up last weekend, now looks much better!

th_Cleaned3-Sept2008.jpg

th_Cleaned6-Sept2008.jpg

Also, this arrived on my desk at work today!

th_S1052276.jpg

Its a Techedge 2J1 Wideband unit, which I'll wire into the Emerald ECU. It's not a complete substitute for having a mapping session on the rollers, but it means I can delay it for a while now and tweak the maps using this.

RossD

The wideband is all installed and wired in......

And I've booked an MOT for a week today and also got it insured. :-) :-) I've still yet to drive the thing (Can't wait!!!) and I've got a few things to do for the MOT next week.

The wipers are slow, so a strip down and regrease of all the joints will hopefully cure that. The nearside headlamp is dim, so I need to double check all of the wiring. Also there is a slight oil leak from the dipstick tube, I've got to fit the air filter and clamp down the fuel filter.

On the plus side, at tickover I've set the lamdba to work in closed loop at tickover and the emissions are lovely and low! (Lambda 0.97 and CO 0.6%)

Sandy

Inlet must be working then :P

RossD

Indeed! Nice bit of kit it is too.

RossD

Well, the MOT day came..... and it passed with flying colours! Only advisory was "Rear Seats Missing".... Duh!!

Emissions were well within spec, CO was 2% and HC's 314 (Max 3.5% and 1200). So, its now taxed and I've been on a bit of a hoon. (Shakedown drive :D )

Even though I've got it on the base-map that Emerald supplied, I've been tweaking the fuelling using the Wideband Lambda thats connected to the ECU.

Driving around town and it drives like any modern car, smooth and spritely, maybe a bit lethargic under 1500rpm at the moment. Open the taps and the noise is immense as those big 45mm bodies gulp in the air. It pulls like any other car up to 4500rpm, pretty well in fact. Past about 4500rpm and it simply takes off pulling hard all the way into the red. The noise at those revs is simply spine tingling aswell, enough bass to wake the dead! (It's on a standard exhaust too, so its all induction noise)

Once I've properly set the cam timing and it's been on the dyno for a proper mapping session, I reckon it'll really show a lot of cars up.

The suspension is on the firm side, but certainly not uncomfortable, very compliant. The tracking needs a proper looking at (On my list) as the wheel is off centre and it seems to crab under very hard braking in a straight line. Can't really comment on the handling yet as I'm taking it easy so far, getting used to it and making sure nothing is going to fall off!!

I'll post some pictures up later :lol:

Sandy

Awesome :wacko: good news Ross!

RossD

Well I've been mapping for the last few weekends, using the diagnostic data logger built into the Emerald software. The easiest and most accurate way to do it it seems. (Plot Lambda vs Speed site vs Load site). Running up to about AFR 12.6 at full throttle, going down to about 14.5 at a cruise.

I've got rid of the deadspot as you first press the accelerator, when pulling away etc, turns out the TPS had a dead spot.

I've also found a pretty standard ignition map for a 1.6 TU which I've also used, seems to give a lot more part throttle pull than the emerald supplied map.

Does anyone know what sort of max advance you can expect on an engine like this? Currently I've got it at about 31 degrees full throttle at about 5000rpm. Getting it mapped properly will cure this, but thats not for a few months yet!!

I've also got to finish putting the air filter on properly, I had to cut the backplate in half to get it over the trumpets....

Pics of the engine as it stands at the moment below.

(Click for larger image)

th_STA71965.jpg

th_STA71959.jpg

And here it is, in its 5dr sleeper glory. Its even badged as 205 GR :)

th_STA71966.jpg

Edited by RossD

RossD

Link to a quick video I took a bit naughtily on a mapping run. Vid shows 45 - 70mph in 2nd, up to the limiter at 7000rpm.

(50-70 is 3secs... there is more to come!) Turn up the volume!!

th_video-0002.jpg

Sandy

Sweet :D

RossD

Well it's booked in at Emerald now for its mapping session.... roll on 27th Feb. Will be interesting to see what it makes. I'm not expecting miracles as its currently running a standard cylinder head.

So what do we think? Bets please!!

Sandy

My birthday!

swordfish210
So what do we think? Bets please!!

.9bhp Just to be annoying :)

RossD
My birthday!

:) My birthday is on the 24th.... Should be a good week all round!! :(

149.9bhp? Well that will be nice but we'll have to see. Looking at the fuel map its got a nice flat-ish torque curve and driving it seems to reflect that. Put it this way, its got to make about 112lb/ft at 7000rpm to make 149 bhp.... :D

I'll put my wager in at 138bhp at 6500rpm B) (It'll go and make less than this now and I'll look silly!)

Me: 138bhp

Swordfish: 149.9 bhp

RossD

Well, we had a great day out at Emerald yesterday, in the capable hands of Dave Walker and his apprentice John. Arrived at 10am and the car went straight onto the rollers to be setup. Dave was impressed with the Setup of the TB's and linkage system (Credit where it's due - Sandy designed and made it!) and he took some pictures of it (I'm actually hoping it doesnt appear in his column in PPC....)

Play was soon halted when we found out that the TPS was faulty, it wasn't moving smoothly and was jumping between the speed and load sites in the software. The wiring was checked and found to be ok and it was declared the TPS was the fault, so a new on was swapped in. Once this was done, Dave checked the balance on the TB's - I bet he wished he hadn't now, as they are a complete bitch to balance properly!!

Mapping started at about 1o'clock and if you've never done it's before, its great fun. All we did was watch while Dave performed his magic, controlling the Rolling road and at the same time mapping the ECU.

According to Dave, it needed quite a bit of ignition advance and he said it was taking a lot more fuel than an engine of this type would normally - he said it wasn't producing any power until the mixture was richened right down to below 14:1 AFR at part throttle. He said there wasn't anything wrong with the engine, its just a bit of a drinker.

Anyway, as the bottom end is standard, I didn't really want to rev it much over 7000rpm, so Dave set the soft-cut limiter at 7000 and the hard cut at 7100rpm. power was still climbing as it hits the limiter....

Anyway, final figures yesterday were 132bhp @ 7100rpm and 106 lb/ft @ 4700 rpm.... But the torque curve is almost flat for 3000rpm from about 4000rpm onwards! Figures are a little lower than I was expecting, but thats no worry as it means I can start fiddling with the spare head I have here! DW stated that flowing the head would produce a lot more poke!

Pictures: (Click for full size)

th_STA71970.jpg

th_STA71975.jpg

And the all important power graph... Note the nice flat torque and how power is climbing right into the rev limiter! A flowed head would improve this figure I expect, so thats the next step along with higher compression.

th_powerTorquechart.jpg

PS: Happy Birthday for yesterday Sandy!! :lol:

Edited by RossD

swordfish210

So how does it drive now that it's set up properly?

Sandy

Excellent news and thanks!

The secret to balancing it, is to start with the "primary" body and work outwards, but it's not as simple as a DCOE set up for sure! Dave probably thinks I'm even more weird now he's seen that! The mixture issue is a bit strange, low CR perhaps?

RossD

It drives so much smoother, the mapping session hasnt actually released any more peak power (as I was able to map that pretty well on the road) but part throttle and pulling away is 100% better. I actually pulled out of a junction in 2nd yesterday from a standstill without realising.

Yes, I think the compression is a little too low, so thats the next step with the spare head I have, skim it and get the pistons cut for the valves. Hopefully that should perk things up a little!

Yep, during the balancing, we did start with the primary body, it was the body towards the far offside that was casusing some headscratching, but we sorted it out in the end when we actually stood there and thought it through logically.

Another picture (Not very good admittedly) that I took during mapping - The manifold was glowing cherry red, you can just about make it out in this picture!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/ros...th_STA71980.jpg

Right, must get around to getting this spare head modified now!

RossD

Whoops, mucked up attaching the link above....

th_STA71980.jpg

Turn up the contrast and squint!

Edited by RossD

RossD

Fame at last.... If anyone has got the May issue of PPC, it seems my car has made it into Walkers Workshop. :) Nice big half page picture of the car on the rollers and another pic of the TB linkage which Dave Walker really didnt get on with!! (Note the 3rd pic of a badly setup throttle body and manifold wasn't my car!)

In other news, got a BE4 gearbox which will be going on sometime in the next few months. Ratios are much much better than the current Saxo VTR gearbox that's currently on the car.

calvinhorse

I SAW YOU!!!!! recognised the car straight away! good effort!

RossD

Haha, cheers!

Scan of PPC.....

th_205inPPCMay2009_LQ.jpg

Picture number 3 isnt my car, just to clarify :) Note the other glaringly obvious mistake in the article..... :ph34r:

Edited by RossD

Sandy

Nice one!

Sam

Wehey, my linkage (well, mine and Sandy's) made it into a magazine! It is pretty indeed, you have to love the rose joints.

RossD

Yep, nice work by the both of you :P

Lots of people have asked me if I made the linkage, I wish I could tell them I did!! :lol: