• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Jazz

Standard 1.6 Need Dropping?

Jimmy Jazz

I have a completely standard GTi...

I want tp lower it a bit so it look more agressive and plants the road a bit nicer round corners...

At the moment I get a pretty good ride out of it and I dont want to compromise this too much...

I am thinking of lowering both ends between 20-30mm is this enough to make any differnece without recking the ride...

James

S33GAV

Get some 15" speedlines on it, that'll make a good difference. It's like a barge on wheels on the 14" wheels imo

j_turnell

It will look like its on stilts though with the 1.9 wheels, a 30-35mm drop will help things. If you do a search youll find lots of topics on reccomended suspension setups. Personally i'd go for some progressive front springs such as Eibach and 1 spline on the back.

S33GAV

I was talking more about handling. When I changed from 14s to 15s I noticed a massive improvement.

The bigger wheels will make it look better too, but I agree on lowering it - just dont go too low. I've got bilstein sprintlines on mine and they're very good.

Rob Thomson

It's funny how different people define handling.

I've always been of the opinion that its about feel, tactility, progression... and that Peugeot's engineer's got it pretty much bang on with the 205. Funny that, seeing as they obviously knew what they were doing and their work has been praised continuously for the last 20 yrs.

But if you think you can improve handling by chopping 20mm out of the springs then excellent, well done - perhaps you should write to Peugeot and tell them all about it. Wouldn't want them to build such a terribly bad handling car again.

Obviously chassis design is all about compromise and you can remove road-car compromises to improve a track-car, but for a road car just leave it standard - Peugeot knew what they were doing.

Duroc
Get some 15" speedlines on it, that'll make a good difference. It's like a barge on wheels on the 14" wheels imo

Going from 14" to 15" wheels is a great step forward. That was the first thing I did to my 1.6 (standard suspension), and it was a significant improvement. It's a good place to start.

jonnie205

I agree, for fast road leave it standard. maybe a set of koni or sprintline dampers but 205s when they are lowered are horendoes on bumpy roads. Down a series of back road you will be much much faster with standard suspension. For track its another story

John_B

Whatever you do don't use 15s with the 1.6 front suspension as you may get a tiny bit more grip but it absolutely knackers the steering which is one of the best things about a 205gti.

I agree, for fast road leave it standard. maybe a set of koni or sprintline dampers but 205s when they are lowered are horendoes on bumpy roads. Down a series of back road you will be much much faster with standard suspension. For track its another story

I've just put a Sprintline kit on mine and the first thing I noticed was a hell of a lot more grip in the wet. I think it oversteers less and more progressively (to my admittedly knackered std suspension) but as jonnie says on a very bumpy road it feels horrible. I also get the feeling sometimes that the back isn't matched to the front as well as it used to be on the standard setup although I haven't lowered the back to match the front yet. I did my first trackday recently and it felt great though.

futura
Whatever you do don't use 15s with the 1.6 front suspension as you may get a tiny bit more grip but it absolutely knackers the steering which is one of the best things about a 205gti.

I would back this up. The 14" wheels provide all the fun on the 1.6, on which it slides more progressively than the 1.9

The 15" inches will also reduce acceleration performance due to higher radius, more surface on the ground and more weight.

I had put 15" wheels on my old 1.6, and I quickly realised it was a mistake.

For road use, leave it standard :)

steve@cornwall

Had 1.9 alloys on my 1.6 when I bought it & have kept them only because I like the look of them.

This mot- 2x wishbones, 1x droplink, 1x wheelbearing

Last mot- steering rack

I've been toying with 14" replacement for a while now

welshpug
The 15" inches will also reduce acceleration performance due to higher radius, more surface on the ground and more weight.

I had put 15" wheels on my old 1.6, and I quickly realised it was a mistake.

For road use, leave it standard :wub:

eeeehh? :) 14" and 15" standard Tyre width is 185, so they have the same contact width, radius is 11.5" as opposed to 11.4", so thats bugger all!! ;)

Anton green

What he said up there */\

My 205 was a total go-cart on -65mm springs. but you pay for that, as go-carts dont like potholes or indeed speedbumps. Phenomenal on smooth roads, loved motorways and high speeds, but soul destroying when you drive on Sheffields roads and god forbid you should ever drive down a cobbled street.. bad news.

futura
eeeehh? :) 14" and 15" standard Tyre width is 185, so they have the same contact width, radius is 11.5" as opposed to 11.4", so thats bugger all!! ;)

Yeah I failed to mention I had 195 tyre width on the 15" (as most people do) as it's cheaper :wub:

Edited by futura

Sign in to follow this