• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
futura

Have You Bought A Back Box From Gsf?

futura

As per title, I have bought a back box with later olive fitting, however the olive diameter is less than the O.E. one. It still looks ok-ish against the down pipe, but where I get problems is with the 2 O.E. half brackets that hold the downpipe and the back box together.

Basically the back box is loose when the brackets are tightm blows and makes rattling noises...

Has anyone purchased this backbox from them before? If so how did you sort it?

I'm thinking GSF may sell different brackets from the O.E. ones?

pug_ham

I had similar when I fitted an exhaust to my mums 205 auto, we tried one centrebox (Arvin) & it wouldn't seal against teh downpipe properly so I asked for anotehr which they got.

That didn't seal either so I adjusted the olive with a hammer until it sat into the front pipe (cat) better & the clamp pulled it together so it sealed without any paste.

I was talking to the local garage about it & they said getting a decent exhaust for any older car is getting difficult unless you get them from the dealers. ;)

Have you gop t a new olive clamp? They are single use also btw.

Graham.

futura

I didn't get a new clamp no, that may partly explain my problems.

I think it would seal properly against the down pipe, it's just that the outer diameter of the back box olive is not big enough to get clamped properly. I am thinking to cut off bit from my old back box and squeeze them between the olive and the clamp, although not ideal...

Richie-Van-GTi

if its the female said of the olive thats too big just grind a bit off, I done it on my 306 exhaust and its never blown yet, just bend the edges of the clamp together a bit with a hammer to ensure snug fitment :D

futura

Thanks for the tip, it's actually the male part that's too small and the clamp girls like it big! :D

Miles

They are a pain as different makes never match up, Think your self lucky it fitted at all, I bought a cheap CAT and the pipe was about 1/2" out!!

Sign in to follow this