• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

B1ack_Mi16

[project] Project 205 Xu13j4

B1ack_Mi16

At last I'm putting up a post about my ongoing project, well it's been spread out over several other posts, so best to start on scratch I guess :)

The car was bought as a stripped-out rolling shell in june 2004.

My plans had always been to build a special engine for it, of course with Mi16 head.

First I was planning to use the alloy block, but as time went by my plans also changed.

Why not go iron block and overbore it a bit, and get a stroker crank?

Well, that was exactly what I ended up with.

Project actually started with me buying a set of Jenvey throttlebodies in januar 2002.

26_G.thumb.jpg

In the beginning the whole project actually was concentrated about making the engine, and I didn't really spend much time thinking of the car itself, didn't get the shell until later, summer 2004 (as mentioned before).

After a while I sourced myself a XU10J4R engineblock with oil-squirters, only the very first XU10J4R's actually got them.

Then found some ok pistons in the Wiseco catalogue and ordered those, had already decided to go with custom rods so would just grab some pistons of my preferred bore of 88mm, and order the rods so that the pistons would fit fine :)

CIMG0637.thumb.jpg

The wiseco pistons had to be modified with new valve-pockets, pistons were ment for Chrystler Neon 16v, the pockets that was there wasn't too much off, but had to make some bigger and a little deeper cutouts to clear my pumaracing 36.5mm valves.

Piston with new valve-pockets

CIMG0698.thumb.jpg

The rods was ordered custom with BMW E30 big end, and small end to suit my pistons. Length of the rods are 156mm.

This is how they turned out, looks nice.

The big ends of the crank was ground to 47.5mm diameter to extend the stroke from the standard 92mm of the XU11D crank, to 94.5mm. Using undersize E30 BMW big end bearings everything fits perfect.

With these modifications to the engineblock, 88mm bore and 94.5mm stroke it gives me the nice amount of 2299cc's dislacement volume :)

I got a 3 layer stainless steel headgasket from cometic, 1.3mm thick as they were the only supplier of 88mm bore XU gaskets I could find. I had to grind the gasket to 88.5mm bores due to my pistons protruding 0.3mm over block-deck @TDC, so to avoid any collision I did this to be on the safe side.

Headgasket on top of another Mi16 head.

I used a standard Mi16 head as base for the project, and this was dropped off to my local enginebuilder for porting and new valve-stems, regrinding of seats and of course for fitting the big valves.

Picture of head after it's finished, mounted with mech-lifter catcams.

CIMG1029.thumb.jpg

For exhaust I bought a 309 GTi16 manifold of someone on the forum, can't really remember who at the moment. I believe this manifolds have nice lenghts on the runners and have seen it before on a Norwegian 205 that made 230bhp with it. Therefor I hope it will be able to work really good with my setup too.

Due to me using the iron block, I had to modify the collector part of the manifold a bit. The standard flange would sit too close to the bulkhead, so I bought some 2.5" stainless V-band flanges and clamps on eBay. Chopped off the standard flange and welded on the V-band. Also made a downpipe which I welded a flexible pipe onto to take up vibrations.

A couple of pictures:

http://projects.205gtidrivers.com/albums/b...ne/CIMG1123.jpg

http://projects.205gtidrivers.com/albums/b...ne/CIMG1122.jpg

Earlier I also had spent quite some time test-mounting the rotating-parts of the engine, and made sure I had enough valve-valve and valve-piston clearance. Actually the valve-valve clearance was a bit on the tight side, so had to return the head to my enginebuilder and we cut the seats 1mm deeper to make it all a bit safer.

Now it was time to assemble the block for the last time.

Crankshaft mounted and torqued down main bearing caps.

CIMG1120.thumb.jpg

Pistons and rods in place.

CIMG1128.thumb.jpg

Oil pump mounted, ready to accept the sump

CIMG1134.thumb.jpg

Then at last after the block and gearbox was mounted in the car I could put the head on and torque it down.

Didn't take any pictures of that, but here's one on a later stage when it was just ready to be started for the first time.

IMG_1800.thumb.jpg

I'm pleased with how the engine turned out in the bay, trying to get a clean install here :)

Appreciate any comments, and I guess this post should be moved into the project forum!

That was all for tonight :P

BTW: Almost forgot, you can see more pics from the enginebuild process here:

http://projects.205gtidrivers.com/b1ack_mi16-engine

Sam

This is gonna be a cracking car. More pics !!

Edp

That manifold is a work of art! Keep the pictures coming!

• Like 1

B1ack_Mi16

CIMG0360.thumb.jpg

Forgot to mention the camshafts last night.

They are 4901503 catcams, 258/249 duration @ 1.0mm.

Max lift is 12.45 / 11.90 and lift @TDC is 3.80 / 3.25mm.

I've fired her up with those in the engine and it idles more stable than a standard 205 gti, maybe more stable than a standard 1.9 405 Mi16 too, so I'm well impressed.

Since the cams were for mech lifters I had to get those too, and also got single uprated catcams springs and new retainers.

I changed my mind about the cam-pulleys and didn't want to use them due to it beeing harder to set the timing correct when changing cambelt. Luckily I didn't sell them and just had them lying around, because when I started assembling the engine, I found the bottom crank-sprocket slot in the XU11D crank is ground in a different angle on the XU11D than on the Mi16 engines. So when I tried to put on the standard Mi16 pulleys the timing was way out.

So after all I went with the catcams ones, it'll be a bit harder to set up after cambelt change, but I've done it once now, so will be easier next time :)

Edited by B1ack_Mi16

Sandy

Excellent!

johnrobertgordon

Mint ;D

28CRAIG

Very nice how is the bodywork coming along

B1ack_Mi16

I'll start on the bodywork now :unsure:

This is how she looked when I got her:

CIMG0369.thumb.jpg

I got the shell very cheap from a friend that had given up his project.

Already stripped suited me fine actually, as it's more than enough work to do on it instead of spending time on taking the interior apart++.

I bought myself a sandblaster and a lot of bags with sand as I was tired of sanding and using rotating steel-brushes and similar tools to try to get rid of the rust. It really doesn't last for very long.

So I hope the sandblasting will be quite a bit better!

Doing some blasting in the engine compartment:

CIMG0373.thumb.jpg

Cleaning the underside of the arches (cleaning the whole shell actually took much more time than I had imagined, lots of hours!!):

CIMG0384.thumb.jpg

The join between B-post and sill was a bit rusty, also the lower part of the b-post itself had some corrosion, so I blasted the whole area and tried to reinforce the join a bit with some MiG welding. The orginal spot-weld was actually not broken!

CIMG0385.thumb.jpg

After I had sandblasted the rust I could find externally in the car I primed it with 2pac epoxy primer.

CIMG0500.thumb.jpg

I found some rust under the rear lights, on the left side it was pretty bad, so I had to cut it out and weld some new metal in place. The right side will be ok just with blasting.

CIMG0518.thumb.jpg

All the pictures (including bigger versions) can be seen at the Bodywork album on this url:

http://projects.205gtidrivers.com/b1ack_mi16-shell?page=1

That's it for now!

Edited by B1ack_Mi16

Irish Al

Thats a lot of hard work, but looking good.

Out of interest what kind of sandblaster did you get.

Al

hexhamstu

you now have a beach in your garage, surely thats pretty annoying.

B1ack_Mi16
you now have a beach in your garage, surely thats pretty annoying.

Yeah tell me! But at this stage it's nothing compared what it's going to be :unsure:

Thats a lot of hard work, but looking good.

Out of interest what kind of sandblaster did you get.

Al

The sandblaster is just a small one like this:

http://www.biltema.no/products/product.asp...p;iItemId=80621

Cost like 14£. It's just blasting small areas so need to keep blasting for quite som time to cover big areas.

B1ack_Mi16

After most of the exterior rust was removed, I took a little break from sandblasting.

Had got myself a 309 bumper that I was thinking of using, I always thought the looked pretty good on 205's.

CIMG0571.thumb.jpg

But no.. after I had chopped and welded it the testmount didn't convince me.

I think the 309 bumper will look good on a pretty standard road-car with some nice wheels and metallic paint. Decided not to use it and rather go for a 205 one. Think it looks better on a trackday car.

Well, time to get back to the rusty shell.

After some thinking I just couldn't allow myself to leave the rust on the underside alone, so I decided to have a go at removing it!

Got some help from my father and got the car over on it's side to easier access the rusty areas.

CIMG0751.thumb.jpg

This is how it looked under the boot-floor. Not too bad, at least not for a 1984 model.

My old car, a 1985 model Mi16 converted one, the boot floor was so bad so I just sold it :)

CIMG0753.thumb.jpg

After a little blasting the rust was slowly dissappearing.

CIMG0755.thumb.jpg

So after about 500kg's of sand later, it was more or less completely free of rust!

This is not anything I would recommend anyone to do in their garage. Eevrything gets covered with dust and it's very hard to get rid of all the sand afterwards!

Next time I think I'll send the shell for acid-dipping ^_^

Nice underside of shell:

CIMG0852.thumb.jpg

That was todays little update :)

chunkymonkey

fantastic the wheel base looks really wide too.good job

max0

sounds like a animal :D:)

tom_m

NICE, sounds mental!!! :)

B1ack_Mi16

Yeah, hopefully she'll be as mental as she sounds :)

Time for update on bodywork-progress.

After sandblasting the boot floor underside it was time to apply some primer.

CIMG0908.thumb.jpg

And then paint.

CIMG0911.thumb.jpg

When this was done I decided I had to take the front part too, as it looked a bit strange now :)

So I started to clean the front part with flat-screwdrivers and lots of whitesprite.

CIMG0914.thumb.jpg

Then applied zink-primer to the areas that didn't have the factory underseal. I had to sandblast some small small rusty spots there.

CIMG0919.thumb.jpg

After that I just thought I would add some 2pac epoxy primer just to be on the safe side, no idea if it helps though :D

At least it looks better.

CIMG0923.thumb.jpg

At last, painted the whole underside, so now it looks nice.

Also put on the subframe that had been away for sandblasting and red-oxide primer.

CIMG0931.thumb.jpg

To be continued.

TurboSam

top work,

that will keep the rust at bay for a few years!

Banjo

Sounds nice but really the worst way to run the engine in, its not under load so will just glaze the bores up if you run for more than a few mins. just my two pence.

Ben

de Noir

Looking at underside sandblasting you did I wonder maybe I should have done it too on my project?

Next one I will, for sure. :)

Me like what you did here with the shell. A lot. :)

B1ack_Mi16
Looking at underside sandblasting you did I wonder maybe I should have done it too on my project?

Next one I will, for sure. :ph34r:

Me like what you did here with the shell. A lot. :D

Thanks for that! It really is nasty work getting rid of the rust.

Time for a little update too.

After painting the underside it was time to get the shell the right way around:

CIMG0944.thumb.jpg

Also temporary fitted the cage to make some more space in the garage, it's pretty crowded in there.

Next mission was to paint the enginebay the same white as the underside of the car.

Turned out pretty nice.

CIMG1012.thumb.jpg

With the shell almost finished it was time to get some doors, bonnet and a rear hatch. I didn't have these parts as the shell was bought as stripped out project.

Went to the local breaker and was expecting to find some old parts with rust on them, also meaing I was expecting more sandblasting.

For once I was lucky and found some really nice parts. I couldn't find rust on these at all! :huh:

CIMG1018.thumb.jpg

I also mounted the freshly painted brakeservo with ned 23.8mm aluminium mastercylinder and brand new fluid reservoar. Didn't want the reservoar to look old and nasty while everything else is like new, so bought a new one from peugeot.

Started drawing the brakeline for the rear brakes, will have a bias valve inside the car.

CIMG1044.thumb.jpg

Started applying white primer to doors, hatch and bonnet after I had sanded them a little to ensure the new paint would stick to it.

CIMG1078.thumb.jpg

While at it I also gave the shell a layer of primer, looks better straight away.

CIMG1078.thumb.jpg

After a while I did a testmount of a XU10 block with mi16 head and throttlebodies.

The standard bonnet wouldn't clear the airfilter at all, needed like 5cm more clearance.

So I bought this from Magnum Motorsports:

CIMG1281.thumb.jpg

Glassfibre bonnet with a pretty big hump on it. Clears the inlet with 1cm, just enough :D

That's all for now, more to come...

Comments appreciated.

de Noir

Looks neat and tidy!

I suppose you did primer and paint yourself.. Taken care of all the rust? :D

B1ack_Mi16
Looks neat and tidy!

I suppose you did primer and paint yourself.. Taken care of all the rust? :D

The rust I could find have been treated as good as I could, and yes, I did the primer and paint myself.

Actually I've done everything on the car myself, apart for the machining operations on the engine, so starting to know how 205's work now :P

Started painting the areas that'll be unaccessible when the doors, hatch and bonnet are mounted.

This to make it easier for the final paint-job that I'm letting a friend of mine do.

CIMG1292.thumb.jpg

It's really starting to look like a car now. The orange was a little bit more bright than I had expected, but it's only a trackay car, so doesn't matter if it looks a bit over the top.

CIMG1296.thumb.jpg

Also taking the inside parts of the doors and hatch so they can be mounted to the shell.

CIMG1299.thumb.jpg

At last the hatch was mounted, and I must say the orange makes a nice contrast to the white.

CIMG1303.thumb.jpg

Edited by B1ack_Mi16

shine

Hello.

Really nice work! Good to se all the parts become a car.

Looking forward to se your car in action next summer.

Espen

B1ack_Mi16

Next summer I must have the car ready, as then it'll be 1 year late from what was initially planned.

Will be nice to see your car in the flesh too, and maybe get some rounds in the passenger seat? :P

Hopefully getting the paint-job done around christmas, then it's just to mount some windows etc. and take it for a test-drive.