• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

madspikes

[engine_work] Mad's - Supercharged Pug Project

madspikes

As a background task to all of this, the electronics and electrics were taking shape. There are some days when you dont fancy getting covered in oil and frozen working on a car, so sitting inside doing some soldering and building the loom was a good way of progressing the car.

I stated out by drawing out the loom, or should I say how it was going to be, as it has changed a lot during fitting a final build. Humm, note to self, update circuit diagrams! The pug is going to run the Megasquirt ECU system with a wideband lambda and wasted spark setup, so there was much to do in the way of electronics. The good news was that the MS was already built, as I had already previously used it for injection only, before the car came off the road. However for this project it needed updating to drive a wasted spark system (no dissys here), and drive the 205 tacho.

It was quite interesting testing the system on my desk, a coil pack and 4 spark plugs sparking away at a simulated 6000rpm! Boy doesnt a coil pack give a nasty belt (belt = electric shock to most people). During the first tests I did blow a coil driver, it got a little hot 80+ degrees C, my fault I hadnt read all the instructions! With a new driver installed, and all the right setting dialled in the coil drivers stayed at just above ambient temperature.

Getting the tacho to work was a bit of fun games as its originally designed to work from a single coil system. Various people on the forum were trying to get these things to work with after marker ECUs but with little success, so I decided to remedy this. After a short while poking the board with a sig gen, and cutting various track, wizzz, ok, buzz (thats the sound it makes!) the tacho sprung into life. All that needed to be done was tidy up the board and do a calibration on it, by using the balance screws and fitting a pot in the place of one of the resistors. The dam thing never read right in the first place, its better now -not perfect, but shell do.

Right back to the loom. I worked out how many wires I needed, and what current rating they needed to be before I went about trying to source all the wire. The plan was to use all different colours, but in the end some needed to be repeated. I attached one end of the loom to the book case with tape and slowly added more wire till the loom was fully loaded, I also added a couple of extras for future expansion.

The cat did think the loom was a new toy and tried to knot it up, but didnt succeed.

Once I'd attached the 37pin d-type connector for the MS, I buzzed everything through to make sure it was all wired correctly - I didnt want to blow the MS up, because that would be bad! Then came the moment of truth connection to the MS, firstly 12v. Cool, we have a power light, next, crank sensor (signal gen in this case), great megatune is showing 12,000 rpm, the pug will never do that! must turn down the signal gen! I continuted connecting everthying slowly working my way through whole loom testing everything was live and working, making sure everything switched as it should, and it did! How chuffed was I everything was right with the loom and first time, (stick that Peazegood my old electronics lecturer who I didnt see eye to eye with).

Mad. :)

swordfish210

cool project, good to see something different being done with 205's.

TT205

Thats ace mate!

I like the picture of Sam personally :wacko:

Whens it going to be up and running?

tom_m
Its about 20% smaller than the standard version, but most people comment that the OE version is over kill, so we shall see. Theres also an oil stat to go in as well, which should stop any over cooling of the oil.

The project looks great! can't wait to see it working.

one thing tho, you might find that oil cooler is going to do bugger all when you need it to. it'll be fine when you're pootling round town, but as soon as you get it out on track it will be too small. I've got a 13 row on the thermostat on a stock 1.9 and its fine day to day, but after a single lap of the nurburgring the temps were higher than i thought they should have been. add the heat the SC is going to put into your oil and you might need a larger one.

madspikes
one thing tho, you might find that oil cooler is going to do bugger all when you need it to. it'll be fine when you're pootling round town, but as soon as you get it out on track it will be too small. I've got a 13 row on the thermostat on a stock 1.9 and its fine day to day, but after a single lap of the nurburgring the temps were higher than i thought they should have been. add the heat the SC is going to put into your oil and you might need a larger one.

I will keep that in mind, before the charger I never saw the oil temp move that much even out on track, I only tend to do smallish stints.

Progress maybe slow again over the next month or so, as the poo hits the fan at work. I'm aiming for a track day this year!

Currently i'm having issues with sourcing bits for the oil system! Who'd think it was so hard to connect up a remote oil filter, cooler and stat!

Thanks for all the replys, peoples thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated.

Mad.

tom_m
Currently i'm having issues with sourcing bits for the oil system! Who'd think it was so hard to connect up a remote oil filter, cooler and stat!

www.thinkauto.com are your friends in that dept. :wacko:

Edited by tom_m

allanallen

cool project spikes, what are you doing with the commpression ratiio (if anything), al

clifton

nooooo....

i was just about to start doing this because i wanted something knowone else has done before...was even going to post a topic tonight.

i wasnt sure which supercharger to use, i had just been looking into to all the different ones and which would be most suitable!

guess im going to have think of something different to do now lol

ben

Richie-Van-GTi

madspikes, are you still using a 60-2 pick up? can you give me your trigger points for it please, also confirm which way round you have wired your crank sensor :D

Sounds like a good little project you have going on now, be interesting to see how well the ms copes with boost on an XU engine :blush:

madspikes
nooooo....

i was just about to start doing this because i wanted something knowone else has done before...was even going to post a topic tonight.

i wasnt sure which supercharger to use, i had just been looking into to all the different ones and which would be most suitable!

guess im going to have think of something different to do now lol

ben

LMO!!!!, sorry mate.

I've been working on the project for a while now, I suppose over a year. I also wanted to do something different, I can tell you its not a easy route, packaging is a right mare. There are a few supercharged pugs around using various chargers, but I dont think anyone is quite doing what I'm doing.

The other thing I was thinking of doing was a 206 180bhp engine in a 205, but I kinda ended up with a supercharger!

Richie - I'll try and sort that stuff out for you soon.

Mad. :D

Henry Yorke
I will keep that in mind, before the charger I never saw the oil temp move that much even out on track, I only tend to do smallish stints.

My CTI turbo does not run an oil cooler wither and the temps are fine. It does have the ally Mi sump though which is apparently more effective than the standard oil cooler. However I don't hit the high revs as much in mine as I don't need to.

The other thing I was thinking of doing was a 206 180bhp engine in a 205,

One of those has popped along to the Derbyshire PSOOC meet, done by Repairgeot, and it is quick! Most things have been done now, bearing in mind the age of the car. I have even seen a Chevy V8 in a 205 :D

madspikes

There hasn't been too much going on with the project over the last couple of weeks, work is busy and needed to get stuff around the house. However, I have fitted the Aston Martin, ok Ford, injectors to the fuel rail and inlet manifold. The rail needed slightly modifying to get the injectors to fit snugly, but all is now good. The new injectors we slightly shorter, so the rail needed moving a few mm.

I have also started putting the car back together ready for an MOT. I'm aiming to get an MOT in N/A form, it will just make testing the charger easier. I am concerned about the PAS rack, and lack of PAS....

Emissions, if I get it reading a lambda of 1 with the wideband at 1k to 2.5k rpm, is that good enough to pass an MOT?

Still not sure what to do about the rear brake discs, there were new, only a few 100 miles on them, but they are now slightly rusty! Replace or clean up?

I've also been working on fitting the oil cooler, fits nicely, its not going to be connected for the MOT.

If I didn't have enough to do, I've started work on a speed input to the MS and started sanding down an old bonnet for some test painting.

Lastest pictures can be seen on tabs 9 and 10 of www.madspikes.co.uk

Currently aiming for the car to be on the road in October.... All being well!

Mad. :lol:

welshpug

the disxcs should clean up fairly easily if the pads havent left a mark, take them off and rub them with wire wool and brake cleaner, then when re-fitted drag the handbrake a couple of times to make sure they bed in again :lol:

oli-pug

Use some wet and dry paper on the discs to get rid of the rust. work from the inside out in an up/down motion. Then deglaze and chamfer the pads

pugman211

either that or use an orbital sander with 180 grit on it, that will clean the discs suffienctly without removing any metal! Then just bed then back in

madspikes

Rusty brake discs.

Thanks. I did start with the old wet and dry but got board. I like the idea of using the orbital sander... ahh power tools, thats where its at!

Yesterday was a good day! - Ok hottest day of year (well felt like it) and I'm sat in a dark coloured pug trying to tune the thing with the laptop! happy days!

Anyway, I got the car back together, well enough to start the tuning process of the MOT. As I've said before the car is currently in N/A form and will be for the MOT. The engine seems happy on its new injectors, runs smoother, I expect thats down to new even flowing injectors! The car idle quite sweetly at 1100rpm but much lower and it starts to miss behave, rpm dies and the picks up again, cant work it out. There is a avi of the engine running, but I need to upload it.

Should tuning the car for a lambda of 1 (14.4:1 AFR) from idle to 3000rpm be good enough for it passing an emissions test?

Todays, tasks: weld up the pin hole on the exhaust, the fit new lights, oh and final fit a alternator belt!

For those of you wondering about the charger, once the car is MOT the charger is going in. Everything has been made up and test fitted, its just a case of getting all the bits in one place and banging it all together. So watch this space.....

Thanks

Mad. :)

madspikes

The project has been on hold again for a few weeks while work sent me up north!

Anyway, I have been doing some test assembily on my spare engine while I try and the 205 through an MOT (see one of other threads) now that all the bits have arrived.

For latest pictures see tabs 9 and 10 of www.madspikes.co.uk

I think it looks dam good... The inlet in the pictures isnt the one going into the car, the one I'm using is one the car at the moment.

I should be getting it into the car in the next couple of weeks, when I get a clutch into the misses 206GTi which is now taking up the driveway!

Mad.

boldy205

wow i like the sound of this project! I dont want to put a downer on things but you recon on making 160-180BHP? Surely not much more than an MI16? and you said this was to slow?

All the best with the project.

Matt

welshpug
wow i like the sound of this project! I dont want to put a downer on things but you recon on making 160-180BHP? Surely not much more than an MI16? and you said this was to slow?

All the best with the project.

Matt

maybe so, but it has a LOT of torque...

madspikes

I'm not aiming for anything faster than an Mi, I just wanted something different. The car will drive totally different to an Mi, it should have much more lower down, pully like a train and sound awasome!

Mad.

allanallen
I'm not aiming for anything faster than an Mi, I just wanted something different. The car will drive totally different to an Mi, it should have much more lower down, pully like a train and sound awasome!

Mad.

its all about the noise :rolleyes:

madspikes

The project is coming along, nicely. The car now has an MOT in N/A form and the changer should go on next weekend, once I finish the belt tensionier MK2!

dsc00119_small.jpgdsc00120_small.jpgdsc00110_small.jpg

more picture on my web page.

My current issue that the car has developed a MAJOR oil leak, down in behind the cam belt somewhere... Not sure how the engine is going to react once it goes blown with the leak....

Mad.

allanallen

lookin good. what are the advantages of blowing through the throttle body as i have mine set up before the the charger?? al

madspikes
lookin good. what are the advantages of blowing through the throttle body as i have mine set up before the the charger?? al

Err ummm... You know what, I cant remember why we chose to do that... But I'll look into it!

Progress.

I may have mentioned previously but the pug has developed a major oil leak down the cambelt side of the engine.

dsc00142.jpg

and before fitting the charger we decided it would be best to fix it. Anyway, after an hour or so of spannering the cause of the oil leak was obvious.... The dam cam seal had just dropped out.... So put in a new seal, and all should be good again.

Todays task is to finish fitting the charger and run the oil line for the remote oil filter. The car should be running supercharged by the end of the day. However there is a small matter of a finishing fitting a clutch to MX5... oh and the small matter of dealing with the rain and working outside.

Mad.

madspikes

More progress today....

Got the charge cooler pump installed and working and ran one of the hoses to the extra charge cooler rad.

The setup is starting to look quite good now.

dsc00186.jpg

However I do have an issue...

dsc00185.jpg

Can I cut and reweld the thermostat outlet or is there a different body out there I could use? Or Could I get away with chopping off 10mm from the end of that hose fitting, would the hose stay on? Suggestions and ideas please.

Mad.

Ps. The cluch was finished in the MX5... a whole 15 hours after we started...