• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

madspikes

[engine_work] Mad's - Supercharged Pug Project

madspikes

Yes, that is the plan. Just got install the passenger seat and fit 4 new tyres then I can take the old girl for an MOT. Hopefully by the 5th should have it ready for an MOT.

I need to get the 205 working as a backup for the 306 daily, which is quite shagged.

madspikes

Been making small progress....

Built a board to connect the MS ECU via Bluetooth to my android tablet running the free msDroid software. It took some fiddling to get everything set up, setting the correct baud rates etc, but works well. A simular thing could be used to bluetooth other ECUs. The board is just a RS232 driver chip and a bluetooth board from ebay. The MS has a 5v supply on the 9 way d-type, which means no need for an external power supply.

The final item will be in a little box, when I find something suitable.

16116813747_38851d4c7e_z.jpg
Bluetooth megasquirt by madspikes, on Flickr

16276739956_587df33b87_z.jpg
Bluetooth megasquirt by madspikes, on Flickr

• Like 2

dobboy

Your board tablet thing is ace!

Excuse my ignorance but could something similar by done using the diagnostic port of a standard Gti6 ecu?

Tom Fenton

Colour Coat...

16318552261_71eda0683d_n.jpg

Wheely good... 1 by madspikes, on Flickr

Don't know if you have finished these yet or not. If you haven't lacquered them yet then you really need to do them in 2 pack lacquer if you can, or pay a spray shop to do them for you.

Reason being, aerosol lacquer is just no where near hard and durable enough to resist the brake dust, it will eat into the nice job you have done of your wheels and they will look tatty in no time and won't clean up well.

In 2 pack lacquer they will come up like new every time you wash them off.

This is from my own personal experience, I ended up scotching the wheels in question back off as they looked terrible only a month or so after I had painted them, painting another coat of base silver, then lacquering with proper 2 pack lacquer.

dobboy

I recently bought a set of wheels which were done with Hycote silver and lacquer, i was impressed with the finish/job the guy had done.

Don't think he had done many miles since he refurb'd them right enough as they were very clean when they came, and i don't imagine the 406 they came off got as much heat generated on the fronts to the extent most 205's get.

My other wheels (1.9's) were lacquered and baked as part of a pro refurb and are still sparkling like new, although the front wheel centre caps have changed colour slightly with heat.

There is a fair difference between the finish with home refurb and pro, but obviously in cost too.

unariciflocos

Been making small progress....

Built a board to connect the MS ECU via Bluetooth to my android tablet running the free msDroid software. It took some fiddling to get everything set up, setting the correct baud rates etc, but works well. A simular thing could be used to bluetooth other ECUs. The board is just a RS232 driver chip and a bluetooth board from ebay. The MS has a 5v supply on the 9 way d-type, which means no need for an external power supply.

The final item will be in a little box, when I find something suitable.

Awesome! Schmatics or a link please! :D

I've been wanting to do the same for my Vems.

wicked

For Vems it's already available:

Order this adapter:

https://shop.vems.hu/catalog/bluetooth-rs232-adapter-p-179.html?osCsid=5168a49544a0956a738cfd0f86f0f2cf

Download this app

http://vems.hu/android/

Screenshots:

http://vems.hu/android/screenshots/

I have it and works really well.

It's also a nice debug tool as well; when we were heading for Pugfest 2013, my mates car (also VEMS) just didn't start anymore after a short break at the parking.

Turned out the MAP sensor died and without phone+app we probably wouldn't have found the issue.

madspikes

Not lacquered them yet but plan to. Thanks for the advice on the lacquer. I had planned to just pay someone to refurbish them but that just got painful, like hello don't you want my money! So ended up painting them myself, soul destroying sanding the wheels and they are by no means perfect.

I just want them done so I can get the car on the road.

madspikes

The circuit really simple. Basic max 232 driver chip to interface with serial port then just connect the rx and tx lines to the bluetooth board. Simples! The hardest bit is setting the bluethoot baud rate.

madspikes

I bought a obd2 bluetooth dongle for my 306hdi, and using a different app can display data from the ecu. Cost less than a tenner.

dobboy

Great, what software would i need if i got a dongle?

And what sort of things can be displayed?

Anthony

Won't work on a GTi-6 ECU unfortunately as they're not OBD2 compliant unlike the HDi's.

I'm not aware of any cheap bluetooth dongles and software that'll work with a '6 ECU unfortunately.

The Android software that I've used with the OBD2 dongles is called Torque, although there's no doubt plenty of others.

welshpug

The hdi's are borderline, in my experience they might give fault codes but they wont be anything like what Peugeot planet would tell you unless its a post 05 car!

dobboy

Damm, that's another job (not) done.

Tbh i was only expecting rpm and coolant temp.

Anthony

The hdi's are borderline, in my experience they might give fault codes but they wont be anything like what Peugeot planet would tell you unless its a post 05 car!

They're possibly not fully OBD2 compliant, but certainly you'll get the various sensor readings and basic engine parameters output on them so that you can use an App like Torque to display the dashboard like the MS example above. They're not limited to just fault codes certainly.

(actually, ironically fault code reading is one area you seem to get far more info from on PP2000 - from memory I get a single code logged on mine through a code reader, and yet on PP2000 there was about half a dozen extra codes listed for minor/intermittent issues)

unariciflocos

Thanks guys, I'll give it a try. Wicked, I don't want to spend 50 Euros on that, was hoping to go DIY at a fraction of the cost .

wicked

It's in the end just a RS232 - Bluetooth adapter and 12V->5V supply, so yes indeed overpriced, but plug and play...

madspikes

Took it for a shakedown blast... Only to discover the thermostat is stuck closed and being easter, can't now get one till monday! During the shakedown the exhaust back box came loose and the charge cooler pump stopped, oh the joys in waking a car from a 2 year sleep! Other than this, oh and the buggered idle vale all is good.

Edited by madspikes

madspikes

For sale.

Will be at pugfest....