• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smckeown

Weight Reduction - The Next Level

pdd144c

And you really need to get out and race next year!

smckeown
Wet slicks will last 2 mins in the dry.

They will last a lot longer than that, i have run these before on my caterhams. They are not the supersoft componds for racing, they are harder to get some life out of them.

Yes I have a wet set of rims/tyres

smckeown

just in case anyone fancies fitting ACB10s in the future, please note the specific fitment guide on the avon racing site

Sean

smckeown

Good progress today, lost another 2Kgs+ by

• Removing the inner wing brackets
  • Removing steel bumer brackets and replacing with ali ones (cheers for the tip miles)
  • Replacing the OE horns with a Ho0nda Fireblade one

Items removed:-----------------------------------------Weight(g)

Pug OE horns (x2) and bracket (300g each) -------------- 600

Steel Bumper brackets & horn bracket (720g each)----- 1440

Inner wing brackets (250g each)---------------------------- 500

Removed Total--------------------------------------------------- 2540

Items Added:

Honda Fireblade horn------------------------------------------- 260

Custom Ali Bumper brackets (80g each)-------------------- 160

Net Saving (g)----------------------------------------------------- 2120

Net Saving (Kg)--------------------------------------------------- 2.12

Some pics:

Inner wing brackets removed:

inner_wing_bracket.jpg

OE horns

oe_horns.jpg

OE steel bumber bracket:

steel_bumper_bracket.jpg

Custom Ali bumper brackets:

ali_brackets.jpg

Motorbike horn (99p ebay special):

mbhorn_and_alibracket.jpg

Something I'm working on to save some serious Kgs ;)

Luke in the car:

luke_in_car.jpg

willxs

could you not get rid of the cowling and just have the fan mounted?

smckeown
could you not get rid of the cowling and just have the fan mounted?

that's next weekend's task. just bought jon's. As i busted my rad today migh as well do this as well..Can't believe how fragile these ali rads are, i just scraped the saw handle down the front and it started to leak ;)

sonofsam

Surprised you have not drilled holes/cut the corners off on those bumper brackets:D

Got rid of the OE rear view mirror yet? Suctoin cup mirror offers a 75% weight saving:)

Edited by sonofsam

chunkymonkey

saun

that car is unreal, the hours and dedication that have gone in to it are a credit to your perfectionism.

maybe oneday i will be lucky enough to see it in the flesh.maybe a trackday next year?

i like the way you exhaust all the options on your quest to a achieve a car the floats rather than dragging its lardy arse.if you ever get the time maybe you should right an article on where to start and how to go about lightening the 205 gti. you seem to be approaching your goal and must have learnt all thats needed to be done on the way.

yes ive seen your weight saving topic but you could start from the beginning with the basics and work right through to the technical or more expensive options?? its just a thought, many of us new members would apreciate cheers gaz

smckeown

These should keep me busy during the 3 weeks I have off over xmas :unsure:

saws.jpg

Irish Al

Single wiper conversion, not my cup of tea but might loose some more weight ? :->

Al

smckeown

Continuing on from last week, when I damaged my rad, so took the opportunity to fit a better fan at the same time...

With the rad lowered, the fan currently blows over the top..far from ideal..

old_fan.jpg

I've never had a good look at the lowering brackets SGR built for me, so acquainted myself with them..

rad_bracket.jpg

Bought jon's old pacet fan, and a new fitting set from pacet themselves..Fan mounted at the correct height to fit

fan_prefit.jpg

Fan mounted and tested. No cowling in sight now :blink:

fan2.jpg

fan1.jpg

Had a scary moment testing it, thought it was a suck type rathe rtthan blow, but after reading the instructions you can swap the wire around to suit...phew!

Pic of the graphics that arrived recently..

graphics.jpg

pug_ham
Pic of the graphics that arrived recently..

graphics.jpg

:D:o But they are adding weight back on!! :blink:

Have you looked at doing the same for the rear bumper mounts by swapping them all to alloy instead of steel?

Also I see you still have the plastic wiring conduit running along the top of the rad, loosing that will shed a few extra g's & am I right saying I can see some of the original slam panel still bolted in when the majority of the centre has been cut out?.

Graham.

smckeown

yeah I plan to get the rear bumper off and have a good look at it, i'm hoping it has some steel reinforcement I can take out, plus the supports.

The right hand side of the slam panel can be reduced further, but not entirely as it supports the oil cooler

Wurzel

How about using that Water Wetter stuff that improves cooling? That way you could look into getting a smaller/thinner radiator saving weight on the rad itself and the weight of coolant?

Dan57

Could you not get both bumpers made from thinner plastic? ;)

It appears that the bumpers are made from pretty thick plastic and would imagine pretty heavy. I know nothing about this and very little about 205's, but I remember way back when I was at school, you could vacuum form a particular item by placing a warm sheet of acrylic over an item and suck the air out. I thought that perhaps this could be done with the bumper and valance using thinner plastic. This would create a one piece lighter bumper that can be painted to look like the original. Does that make any sense at all?

welshpug

plastic bumpers weigh sod all! and sean's got holes drilled in his ;)

Jrod

cebe_1.JPG

9853_1.JPG

c30f_1.JPG

Light enough? :o

Edited by Jrod

Sign in to follow this