• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tidypug

Is It Worth Fitting A 1.9 Rear Beam To A 1.6?

tidypug

Like it says in the tittle really, is it worth fitting a rear beam from a 1.9 onto a 1.6 gti with drums?

If it is what do i need? I've thought of :- beam, calipers, pads, discs, 2 compensators, necessary pipework.

Is that all that is needed?

jonah

You don't really need the beam itself, as they're same on 1.9 and 1.6... you'll just need to change the stub axles and fit the caliper mounting brackets and any other associated bits. Of course, the easiest way to get all those bits is to buy a complete beam...

As for whether it's worth it... depends what for. I've considered doing the same myself, and never convinced myself it was really worthwhile, although I still keep an eye out for spare 1.9 beams. I've asked the same question on here myself, and these were the general opinions -

Pros:

Better heat dissipation

More linear brake response

Cons:

Worse handbrake

The cost & effort of doing the swap!

pacey205

Jonah do you road rally your 205 ?

Reason I ask is that people always say when talking about drums Vs discs on the rear that drums are better for handbraking which I can completely understand if your rallying etc but I cant understand how it makes any difference to a road car :) . As long as my car dont roll away Im happy :)

Michael

Guest Bigj

If you want it for rallying

Then a hydraulic handbrake is the way to go

John

jonah
Jonah do you road rally your 205 ?

Yes I do... well deduced! :)

pacey205

Well I was going on the photo and I thought I remembered you possibly mentioning it in an old thread. Back top tidy's question though if your car is a road car (which Im assuming it is) its an awfull lot of work for something that isnt really going to make an awful lot of difference to the braking, I mean theres quite a few people on here that run Mi's etc on the 1.6 setup (just noticed your one of em :)) so I wouldnt of thought youd get noticanly better braking although I guess if your planning on doing alot of track work then the heat dissapation could be an issue.

I suppose in the end its down to wheter or not you can be arsed with the cost/effort of swapping over.

Michael

Simes

Isn't the track wider on a 1.6?

Guest Bigj

Jonah

I assume its you thats out on the Swan at the weekend ?

I'll keep a look out for you

We're running car 26 silver 205

I'm competing as a Clumban as I am breaking in a new navigator

John

twowheelterror

I'm fitting a 309 rear beam to mine but keeping the drum brakes... so I just get a wider track

jonah
I assume its you thats out on the Swan at the weekend ?

John, Yes it was me on the Swan - didn't see a Car 26 though, didn't you make it to the event?

Actually i'm glad you weren't there to see us as we were having the worst event ever! :(

Sign in to follow this