• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
NickR

Shockingly Odd Front Tyre Wear.

NickR

Rotated my tyres.

Rear ones were worn more on the outside, but not by too much, pretty much as espected.

But the fronts... were worn more on the inside by a little... im confused by this wear.

No excessive wear on the shoulders either.

taylorspug

What suspension setup are you running? Too much neg. camber possibly? :)

Dan.

NickR

Fronts are std camber...

taylorspug

Personally id get the tracking checked then. If i remember correctly too much toe out will cause the inner part of the tyre to wear more. This may not be it but at least then you have eliminated this as the cause.

Dan.

easypug

Yeah i would say tracking aswell, i got pulled a few months ago thought my tyres were fine (only looking at the outside) he checked them and they were bald on the inside.. I would of got 6 points (3 for each tyre - fronts) but he recognised me and let me off.. How lucky!!

Tracking is pretty cheap to get sorted so worth getting checked anyway..

Dave

C_W

Nick, I thought you recently replaced a bottom ball joint?, this can't some times wear the inside of the tyre, I know it was a while ago though. It might be as suggested about, just too much toe-out.

Why do you expect the outside of the rear tyres to have worn more if yours has more negative camber (and toe-in?) than standard? Only my rear left has outer shoulder wears from trackdays but on the road they both wear evenly.

NickR

It was only SLIGHTLY more on the outside of the rears... but no excessive wear on the shoulders at all.

ON the front... I will get the tracking checked. Again its only SLIGHTY more on the inside than the outside.

Sam

Then whats the problem, you drama queen lol

Super Josh

Nick, What should the front suspension geometry be set to on the SBC Phase 2 setup? Oh, and the rears too?

Josh

red

Well as I understand it the front Phase 1 suspension is standard camber with the option of 1 degree neg camber.

The Phase 2 rear suspension is with 1 degree of neg camber which again as I've been told is what PS ran on their Group A cars .

Nick if it's running rear neg camber wouldn't the insides wear more? sounds like to many track days LOL :)

Regards Russ...

C_W
Nick if it's running rear neg camber wouldn't the insides wear more? sounds like to many track days LOL

I would expect so too.

Out of interest how would I got about getting some negative camber on the front of mine? I don't want to chagne the bottom arms. It's just that the frontrs are far too upright and the tyres stay totally cold on the inside half on track.

NickR

Yeh, I would be interested in some (more) front neg camber.

Adam B

Can't you get adjustable top mounts for camber/castor or are they horrendously expensive?

Super Josh
Well as I understand it the front Phase 1 suspension is standard camber with the option of 1 degree neg camber.

The Phase 2  rear suspension is with 1 degree of neg camber which again as I've been told is what PS ran on their Group A cars .

Nick if it's running rear neg camber wouldn't the insides wear more? sounds like to many track days LOL :D

Regards Russ...

I was thinking more of the Toe-in/Toe-out settings :)

Josh

red

I'm guessing at this but with out adjustable top or bottom mounts the only way is to bore out the hub carrier where it attatches to the strut base and fit a sleave that is off set/ oliptical, this would then be rotated untill you get the camber required then pinned in some way or welded into position, again it may be the proper way to produce neg camber so you don't load the strut from it's normal position, PTS used to sell them as neg camber hubs but it would be pre-set and the wishbone would then have a RJ for tweeking as required.

Regards Russ.....

Sign in to follow this