• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Kambo

Anyone put a 3.0 V6 on an engine stand?

Kambo

I’ve got a Clarke ces 340 stand (max carrying 340kg) 

Used on my previous engines (1.3, 1.6, 2.0) so I’m a little weary just humping a whacking great 3.0 on it). This isn’t really just a Clarke question but general so has anybody actually bolted there V6 to a stand? 

Obviously the max carrying capacity is there for a reason but I want to make sure. I could weld in a couple of strengthening bars but this would then rule out the disassembly and storing as it’s quite compact put away...

dcc

3.0v6, with manifolds, flywheel clutch and gearbox, was only circa 200kg

Id imagine the bare block isnt that bad, maybe even lighter than a bare xu10?

Kambo

Oh and mine is the older three wheel model without the diagonal brace near the bottom 

So maybe a 4x2 rammed between the sump and floor bar as extra support after it’s on the stand? 

Or is that a bit silly :lol:

Kambo

Is it really that light? Ok it’s not that light but in terms of what it is that seems quite light 

My current 2.0 engine and box is about 208kgs and I don’t find that heavy  

Tesstuff

A D8 v6 engine weighs 180kg.

allye

Yer you’re worrying far too much. I’ve put fully dressed various 2.0TDI engines on them. 

Was just talking about this today though, anyone who has put that much weight on one and how much they bonce, wouldn’t want to be putting a wacking great 300kg iron block V8 or something on them!

Kambo

My mistake I thought the max carrying capacity was 340kg on the Clarke CES500A, just dug it up and blew the cob webs off

38531292611_9a682fbac6_b.jpg

Safe is 227kg so what is max?

If the lump weighs 180kg then the box needs to be about 47kg for safe workings, box has to be more than 47kg

4x2 is on standby :unsure:

Tom Fenton

You'll struggle to bolt it to the stand with the box attached, the easiest way is to use the bellhousing bolts.

welshpug

don't worry about talking it to its safe working limit, they're typically half what the actual breaking point will be, but yes, bellhousing bolts are the easiest and safest way to mount an engine.

dcc

Id be impressed if you can bolt it on with the box! 

Kambo

I had to cut down the lugs on the 360 mount where the bellhousing bolts go for my last engine (Honda) as they were too long and not much thread was in the block, I'll need to cut the lugs a bit more now as again not much thread showing

I'll leave the total lug length the same width as the bellhousing plate so I know the same amount of thread is in the block, especially with this weighing more

welshpug

use longer bolts?!

Kambo
22 minutes ago, welshpug said:

use longer bolts?!

Nothing else lying around here apart from what I got with the engine/box 

I’ve cut the lugs down now anyway 

Edited by Kambo

Kambo

Lugs were cut down but had to take the clutch assembly off as not much room with the new shorter lugs, fits up fine to flyheel though

38489273536_193721fbf2_b.jpg

Only issue was engine not sitting straight up, the clarke only has 4 position holes, 3 o'clock, 6, 9 and 12, could only have one rocker up straight

38489272706_4ed518fb84_b.jpg

To adjust it properly I had to take off the hard water pipe as the lug wouldn't line up

38489275306_655907aff5_b.jpg

It wasn't budging though, all bolts were out but it has a spring on the back holding it in, so had to just loosen and move out the way best I could

38489272106_6493506fec_b.jpg

Best I could get, am happy with that

38489271376_f2462d9eb2_b.jpg

Kept the crane on it for a while but seemed to hold so will check later to see if its on the floor :D

allye

Why do you want it bolt up right?

Kambo
49 minutes ago, allye said:

Why do you want it bolt up right?

OCD

Neatness

Problem really :lol: