• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kachel

How To Remove The Front Window

kachel

For respraying my CTI i need to remove the front window. I have not done this before. Anybody who has done this before?

jackherer

If you're using a new seal when you refit it cut the old seal out then you don't risk damage to the glass when you remove it.

Andy

If you do not have a replacement glass seal, the job is a bit more tricky, but still doable . From the inside, using a blunt screwdriver or something similar, start in the ,say, top left hand corner and gently ease the seal away from the frame so at small length of it, (2cm or so) flips away from the flange and moves to the outside of the frame flange. Continue do do this steadily, little by little until you get to the bottom corner . What I did next was to go back to the top left hand corner and slowly continue around the corner and along the screen top, then steadily around the top right corner and down the right hand side. Now you have three sides released you should, from the outside, be able to lift the screen upwards and clear of the frame . I have done this a couple of times without breaking the glass, although it is a heart in mouth job. Laminated glass is slightly less flexible than a Thatcherite economic policy, so proceed with caution

kachel

Thanks!

Leslie green

Cut the seal if you have never tried one before you have virtually zero chance of getting it out on one piece ,you will only get so far and it will crack ,It might seem easy but it is very tricky ,my success rate with windscreens on other old cars was about 1 in 3 so Id always cut the rubber now and it will be very easy and should just lift out .

Tom Fenton

Push it out with your feet, Ive never broken one that wasnt already cracked.

hoodygoodwood

I do it in a similar way to Andy , I sort out 10 medium size flat blade screwdrivers and working inside the car slide them between the rubber seal and the steel window aperture . I would start in say the RH top corner and then slide one in every 6 or 7 inches down the side and across the top , then gradually lever the rubber away from the bodywork while pushing the screen out with the palm of your hand . ( at no stage should the screwdrivers touch glass or be used to lever out the glass ) After going round levering a couple of times the glass will have moved forward a mm or two so now you can really bend the seal back and insert the screwdriver between rubber seal and window aperture but on the outside edge this time , do this one at a time with the 10 SD's and now the screen should move forward a few more mm so the inside bead of the rubber seal is held back by the steel aperture . Now some of the middle SD's can be moved to new positions and the gentle levering of rubber repeated , once you have done the top edge and both sides the screen will push forward and can be lifted out .

Cold weather might not be the best time to do this as the seal might be stiffer .

Don't rush it , don't lever the glass and it will come out ok .

JamPug

I'm afraid I've seen it happen tom, the bloke was so confident but it cracked straight away. Must have not had the knack for it.

Tom Fenton

I can't account for roughians, I said "I" have never bust one!! But prying with screwdrivers puts point loads into the sides and is not the best way to do it.

Ozymandis

I did this to a 1964 Morris Minor windscreen ,

I looked a right twat with my legs on the bonnet covere :( d in little cubes of toughened glass

MattCPR

I’ve just had mine refitted by a very good windscreen but unfortunately it cracked going back in due to a chip near the edge. Don’t stress if it does, £65 later and I’ve got a brand new unmarked screen to go into my freshly painted car 

MrAndy

I have done it once and it was success.

1. I lubricated the seal both outside and inside with thick silicone oil

2. I started inside, top, middle

3. I used multiple plastic interior removal tools, pushed them one by one in between the seal and turned the seal away from the lip of the chassis. Not bending the class at all.

4. Once I got the top edge released, the class simply popped out itself :)

5. A friend helped me lifting it up carefully.

It was way easier than I tought. You might think that the lubrication just gets places messy, but for me, it really helped alot.

-A-