• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dartman

Cable Shift Conversion And Repositioned Gear Stick.

dartman

Just thought I would share a little project I've been working on.

Due to fitting a pedal box and having long legs I sit very far back in the car, the steering column has been reangled and lengthened by 11 inches and as a result my gear stick was in a less then suitable position.

My plan was to change the gear rods to a cable system and build a new frame to hold the gear stick in any position I choose.

Firstly I made an ally plate the fit over the hole in the tunnel and bolt down using the existing holes. I then mocked up where I wanted the gear stick, around ten inches rearward and 10 inches higher then the original. Ideally the mock up would then be put into a computer and either cnc out of billet, Or 3d printed, both options would have busy the budget and I don't have the facilities to do either. So I cut out ally sheet and my brother TIG welded it up for me.

Then placed the 406 gear stick assembly and cables into the housing and bolted it down.

Trying to track down a gearbox be cable bracket at the minute, but as the engine is out I'm in no real hurry.

Cables will run internally along the tunnel and through the bulkhead to the gearbox.

Topped off with a quite type gear knob and I don't think it looks too bad for a first attempt.

Will post pics when I get home.