• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

DrSarty

Xmt - Sarty's Xsara GTI6 Turbo

petert

I have a drawer full of standard Mi16 exhaust cams. They seem to breed.

DrSarty

Your camshaft pls Anthony. Part of our deal with an uplift.

@Pete: Id like to send you 5 oil pump pick-ups for extending/exchange please, but I daren't do cams as I got hit with import charges last time! However, would a pair of GTI6 cams from me sweeten the pick-up deal?

DrSarty

And by standard I mean not re-ground profiles.

May need a GTI6 TB too, although I'm sure I have one. Got several inlets.

Anyone know the pin layout on either my ECU or, and preferably, the multi-connector going to the dash please? It's mainly the rev counter wire I'm after. Switched and perm live, ground, temp gauge and switch, oil temp, oil switch (and oil pressure of applicable) easy to find by tracing to the items on the engine. Coil wiring easy to suss too; only the rev counter may be tough without a pin number.

Very excited about this now. Just getting paid too!

petert

What are you going to do with five extended pickups?!

If you're not dry sumping you should also consider an accumulator. Here's a datalog from my car, with extended pickup, deep sump etc. The accumulator does a fantastic job of smoothing out the bumps. The pressure gradually decreases due to oil temp increasing.

post-2864-0-04738700-1490652609_thumb.png

Edited by petert

DrSarty

Ok; oil accumulator it is.

I think I said 5 extended pick-ups because I need one for my white 205 Mi (already on the road), one for the Xsara, two for the other two engines and one to sell on.

Any advice on the steering pump? Sure I can make the XU7 one fit. I find the Saxo/106 electric pump quite noisy.

Thanks Type-R for the TST and injector options and the offer of help in May.

And thanks also to Andy for the chat and bits.

petert

Call me old fashioned, but I still think Mi16 pump is best in terms of position, length of pipes, simplicity etc.

welshpug

the block is different on the front where the engine mounting arm and auxiliary brackets attach, so no the xu7 stuff wont bolt straight on.

anything can be made to fit though.

if its an ac engine you could ditch the ac pump and use a lynx engineering pas pump relocation bracket and bolt it to the sump.

Edited by welshpug

welshpug

Call me old fashioned, but I still think Mi16 pump is best in terms of position, length of pipes, simplicity etc.

apart from being right in the way of his turbocharger.

Edited by welshpug

petert

Eh? The thickness of the pulley is?

You're clearly not a fabricator.

Edited by petert

Andy

I can second the accusump plan. I had one on my last Integrale. With a timer relay controlling the solenoid valve, I could also have oil pressure before the engine turned over too. They are a great piece of kit. The only snag is finding the space in the engine bay to install one. I ended up with the battery in the boot in the 'grale.

welshpug

Eh? The thickness of the pulley is?

You're clearly not a fabricator.

whats the thickness of a pulley got to do with the body of the pump being in the day of a dirty great turbocharger?? :lol:

accusumps ring of stable door and horses to me.

better to prevent pressure drop than to wait for it to die then feed it oil surely??

Edited by welshpug

petert

How can you argue with the facts (ie graph) when it comes to an accumulator? Sure, I've moved on to a dry sump and that's almost bullet proof (until the belt breaks). In the world of circuit racing, it just comes downs to G forces and how much tyre you can grip. A good 205 on slicks needs a dry sump, there is no denying. Until the UK gets AO50's, you can do a lot worse than fit an accumulator to even out the spikes in the oil supply.

I used a solenoid originally but I found a manual check valve dumping straight into the oil gallery was better. There was always 1.5L extra in the sump at start up, but this immediately returned to the accumulator as a reserve. Until someone posts some data suggesting otherwise, I believe it is the best wet sump alternative.

Andy

Agreed . Head of oil at 60 plus psi directly into the main oil feed gallery. A great way to protect a hard used engine at a fraction of the cost of a full dry sump setup.

Wez_89

Saw this on eBay and thought of you after reading this 282409094127 great project

petert

whats the thickness of a pulley got to do with the body of the pump being in the day of a dirty great turbocharger?? :lol:

Looks like enough space in that hole to me. More pics in the for sale section.

post-2864-0-05542900-1490751254_thumb.png

DrSarty

Nothing like some healthy debate eh!?

I'm just hoping everyone keeps it up and plays nicely.

Ok then: when it comes to wheels I need to be treated like an idiot. I'm happy with tyre sizes, but all this 'ET' and PCD stuff is confusing to me. I know the PCD is about the bolt holes, but I'm seeing things like 'ET37' and appreciate someone just telling me the exact specs of the recommended wheel and tyre please.

For example, are these correct/any good?: http://r.ebay.com/Gn36cu

Re: steering pump, I'm going try and use the XU7 pump, exploiting the lugs on the GTI6 sump plus fabricated brackets etc.

Collecting IHI VF38 turbo on Saturday. £275. Going to try and get the Scooby downpipe to aid fabricating mine. Do people think the GTI6 exhaust manifold is a good starting point for my custom job? Are the port spacings a good start? Flange needs modding or replacing and the 4-pipe meet needs pairing, but they're nice equal pipes.

calvinhorse

Those wheels are an ET37 (ford fit) so would need a 20mm spacer to bring them down to ET17, the spacer would also need to be a ford-Peugeot adapter as the centre bore will be different.

Better wheels are available, however I run spacers are 2 of my cars and have never had any problems at all.

Edited by calvinhorse

calvinhorse

Just noticed they are 4x103 so no use to you at all... it's possibly a type o

Edited by calvinhorse

TAG

I'm interested to see how you get on with adapting the XU7 PAS pump, as this is something I could do too. I have a saxo setup, but having previously bolted it to the bulkhead, the whining gets on your nerves quickly! I would have thought the XU7 setup would save a fair amount of weight too.

wicked

Looks like enough space in that hole to me. More pics in the for sale section.

Peter, this is not a twin scroll. The twin scroll VF38/TD05 turbine housings are huge and you'll need the space there to get the double runners towards the turbo.

Wrt the manifold; I don't know if the GTI6 manifold is a good starting point in terms of material thickness; it needs to carry a turbo now.

Keep in mind that you need to merge cylinder 1 & 4 and 2 & 3 and both need to end up at the turbo.

Did you think already about a proper clutch?

Edited by wicked

DrSarty

Researching clutch options, but does anyone have any recommendations please?

WANT: Realised I need an XU9 top engine mount. Anyone coming to the Old Skool meet in Mychett on Easter Sunday able to help?

Andy

Do you mean the big lump of aluminium that bolts onto the block and carries the alternator or the Ali bracket that bolts on top of said lump and across to the rubber mounting?

DrSarty

Both bits; from different people if necessary.

My garage seems to be festooned with iron block bits and bits I'll never need (like bottom engine mounts), leaving me short of critical bits like this complete bracket and a thermostat housing.

On the latter, did I hear that Stu at BBM supplied new copies?

Edited by DrSarty

Andy

Stu at BBm does a thermostat housing , beautifully made but not cheap. I have the large Ali lump that bolts on to the block and supports the alternator, which you are welcome to. I will send it on, but not by parcelforce!!!

Cheers.

Andy