• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dexter1002

Gti6 Block

dexter1002

Hi there,

Im after a bit of advice regarding my gti6 block, the engine seemed to have ran fine when i was using it, but i decided to strip it down and give it a freshen up as im boosting it.

When i removed the head i found score marks on number 1 cylinder wall (looks like it had dropped a valve at some point), would you say this is now un serviceable?

I bought another block which turned up yesterday and the cylinder walls are all pitted due to the pistons being sat in the same position for what looks like a long time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks

post-22246-0-70096900-1488402444_thumb.jpg

dcc

if you haven't bought pistons yet, maybe go 0.5mm overbore and reuse the block?

dexter1002

Haven't got pistons, as i was going to use the originals, just new rings. It may be worth getting forged but a lot more cost involved unfortunately.

petert

Now it's apart and you've seen it, you're mad not to fix it, given the relatively small amount of work and dollars required.

mmt

Did you get the block honed?

I have a block with the same issue. Only mine seems a little bit worse.

How much Can a cylinder generally be honed if I Would want to use the old pistons. The guy at the machine shop suggested to hone My block 0.02 mm. I just doubt that that is enough to get rid of the pitted walls. Is there a general rule on maximum honing if one want to stay with original spec pistons.

Thanks.