• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mowflow

Engine Cutting Out

dobboy

I think I might have a pump for a 1.6 you can have if you don't mind collecting it.

mowflow

Pretty sure I could manage that if you're somewhere around the Glasgow area.

Not sure how many pump types there are. My car is an H reg 1.6

Edited by mowflow

Anthony

Two GTI type pumps - early models have a black housing, later models a white housing. 1.6 and 1.9 makes no odds.

Yours should be the later type if it's a Phase 2, but H reg is when they changed over.

dobboy

does the colour determine its flow rate?

I just remembered that I'd previously dug it out for someone and iirc it's black. It's there anyway if needed.

Small world as I was talking to Rab a couple of weeks ago.

Tom Fenton

Also, worth pulling the pump out and checking the short length of fuel hose inside hasn't split - it's not unheard of.

Do this first off. Then try clamping the return hose with the pump running to see what pressure you get, to prove the pressure reg.

mowflow

I'll pull the pump out, see what version I have and will check the hose inside. I may be in touch dobboy.

I'll probably just replace the pressure regulator anyway. It's about the only part left in there that I've not replaced now.

Thanks all for your help.

Tom Fenton

I wouldn't personally just change it for the sake of it. With the pressure gauge on and pump running then restrict the return hose from the regulator to the tank. If the pressure increases your fuel pump is up to the job but the regulator is not. If the pressure does not increase then the pump cannot deliver the pressure regardless. But also have the pump out and check the rubber connection inside from pump to housing!

mowflow

I've already tried that. Clamped the return hose after the regulator and it had no effect.

Tom Fenton

Change pump and re test pressure fingers crossed should sort it. I'd check the rubber pipe in the pump housing before ordering a new pump though.

mowflow

Pump is out. Black housing so earlier type. Does this look the same as the spare you have dobboy?

IMG_20170605_215634_zpsaiqqikaj.jpg

Rubber hose doesn't appear split.

IMG_20170605_215703_zpssuosg1do.jpg

dobboy

Yep it does except a lot cleaner. I'll dig it out tomorrow and get a better look at it.

I've never tried it btw, it came in a box of spares a guy gave me but it's worth a shot.

mowflow

Yup, it's quick and easy to swap so worth a shot. Might be a while before I get round to you as I'm off on holiday for 10 days after tomorrow

• Like 1

dobboy

here it is, prob best use you strainers etc. I'll give it a jag with 12v before you make a trip to make sure it's alive.

dhfm6u.jpg

mowflow

Brilliant, I'll send you a message when I'm back to arrange coming round to collect.

One more question for everyone. How do you get the thing apart? Mainly the strainer/basket bit off the bottom. How the hell do you get that off without destroying anything. It seems like there must be a trick.

Tom Fenton

It is clipped on, carefully lever in the joint with a screwdriver and it will pop off. The OE petrol pipe clips are far superior to aftermarket so don't destroy them if they are still there. They are a re-useable clic-clip you just need the proper pliers, which aren't expensive.

mowflow

And so the saga continues...

I ended up getting a brand new Bosch fuel pump. Fitted it tonight, turn the key and I hear lots of promising whiring, flowing and gurgling noises. After a few attempts at starting it became apparent it wasn't happening.

So I check the fuel flow at the rail and it's still like a weak stream of piss... Exactly the same as before @#!& ...so it looks like the pump was a needless waste of more money.

First thought was it's the filter or the fuel lines restricted low so I disconnected the send rubber hose from the metal line just directly off the tank. Same thing, constant flow like a weak tap.

What the hell can be causing this? I've got 12v at the plug going in to the pump housing.

Thijs_Rallye

What the hell can be causing this? I've got 12v at the plug going in to the pump housing.

You should check the voltage whilst the pump is running because and use the same ground as the pump. Then repeat using a known good ground. Then measure the voltage over the ground connection to the known good ground. All with a running pump. If you have a bad ground this is the way to find it. (you'll measure x Volts over the ground the connection to the good ground)

mowflow

Which earth point does the fuel pump use?

welshpug

left hand rear corner by the rear light cluster.

• Like 1

dobboy

have you had tank dropped?

The pump will always be under load when it's got voltage at it, so I don't think it's electrical if you measured 12V.

You could set up a temporary flexi from the pump to a bottle and see what rate it comes out at.

Or easier, disconnect the tank/feed/flexi underneath the car where it joins metal pipe and see what the flow rate looks like, it would narrow down the problem area to front or back of car.

Are they new metal pipes? Try blowing through the feed while you have it disconnected at both ends.

mowflow

The above is what I did last night. Disconnected the send Flexi directly off the pump at the metal pipe under the car. Flow is the same there as at the rail.

Can I connect the pump directly to the battery to eliminate or prove an electrical issue?

Edited by mowflow

dobboy

Don't see why not.

Sit a spare battery in boot?

dobboy

Just noticed it was at the plug you measured the voltage, so the problem could still be electrical. You want to measure the voltage at the pump with it running. (or use the a direct battery supply as you intend to).

Tom Fenton

Can you hook up the pressure gauge again?

mowflow

Unfortunately it wasn't mine. Rab Elliott brought it round. It's was making just over 1bar at the rail on the old pump.

I've been trying to figure the volume it should flow over a given time. Say 30 seconds or a minute if running at the recommended 3bar.

Edited by mowflow