• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Nbettley

Another Mi16 Conversion

Nbettley

Hi guys,

I have started stripping back the old 205 ready for a bit of a tidy up and some paint before the new engine goes in -

20160918_1209241.jpg

20160222_2146341.jpg

20160309_1746101.jpg

Didn't want to bore anyone with pictures of general strip down and engine removal so thought id start from now.

Was all going well until the captive nut went where the Drivers side front subframe mounting point is, managed to cut the nut off to drop the subframe but ill have to address this at some point. Was planning on just cutting the bottom face off and creating a new metal plate with a nut welded on the back in the original place, unless anyone else can recommend a simple straight forward fix?? picture below -

20160918_1207491.jpg

Another area of concern be came apparent when I took the scuttle panel and windscreen out. Rust at the bottom of the windscreen aperture right in the centre, must have been gathering water here for years. Again dont know if anyone has dealt with this could give me some advice -

20160918_1205511.jpg

Thanks

Nick

Edited by Nbettley

welshpug

no need to weld a nut in, just replace the captive nut.

Nbettley

What do you mean when you say replace the captive nut? Is there something available off the shelf?

welshpug

yeah, just an m10 caged nut, same part was used on much newer psa vehicles so you shouldn't have any issues getting them.

Nbettley

Ahh right I see, I might see if I can cut a section out of the side and get some access to the back of the panel.

JamPug

I had the same problem with mine and managed to pull what was left of the old nut out with some pliers. Then bought a new one for a couple of quid from Peugeot. They're like a square nut that's just smaller then the width of the square hole, then has a tail that doesn't go through the hole that locks it in place and stops it turning.

Hope that has helped

Nbettley

Cheers mate I'll see if I can wiggle it out tomorrow, just hope there wasn't alot of thread on the bolt as might make it tight.

Do these look like the bad boys?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321505706145

Alan77

Also has anybody had any experience with the below front end panels?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331886444051

You can get those aftermarket front panels from Euro Car Parts for about £65. I've got one as a spare so can't comment on fitment yet, but others have used them without too many issues.

welshpug

6941 81, £2 from a dealer, no need to buy 4 for £12!

petert

What does the inside of that inlet manifold look like? A friend of mine bought one from a well known UK dealer. It had a very sharp kink like yours and was full of weld penetration on the inside. I had to cut it apart, restore the original radius and the clean up inside.

Nbettley

You can get those aftermarket front panels from Euro Car Parts for about £65. I've got one as a spare so can't comment on fitment yet, but others have used them without too many issues.

Thanks mates, my give one a whirl then. I'll let you know how it goes.

Nbettley

What does the inside of that inlet manifold look like? A friend of mine bought one from a well known UK dealer. It had a very sharp kink like yours and was full of weld penetration on the inside. I had to cut it apart, restore the original radius and the clean up inside.

First thing I did when I stripped it down. In all fairness it looked pretty good, obviously it wasn't as smooth as non welded inlet but can't see it causing to much bother. Thought I'll try it as it is because it's only a casual weekends work to rectify it at a later date if necessary.

dobboy

I changed my headlight panels, and if I was to do it again I'd keep what I could of original headlight panels and replace the rusty parts only, (assuming the rot is from below headlight downwards), using sections from a new panel.

Or if possible I'd cut from below headlights or bumper bars and replace the full lower section.

barneys66

First thing I did when I stripped it down. In all fairness it looked pretty good, obviously it wasn't as smooth as non welded inlet but can't see it causing to much bother. Thought I'll try it as it is because it's only a casual weekends work to rectify it at a later date if necessary.

This vid is quite interesting on effects of kinked / bashed headers on V8s - not sure if the same applies here..?

Nbettley

That's very interesting, I would have assumed it would have choked it up big time. Think the results would be different on a turbocharged engine. The fundamentals for flow should be the same between inlet and exhaust so that makes me pretty confident there will be negligible performance loss..... famous last words!

Nbettley

Further update on the subframe mounting point repair. I made two cuts in the chassis and bent it back to gain access to the back of the cage nut.

20160919_184022.jpg[/url]

Pulled two and a half old cage nuts out of the box section where someone had previously had a shot at it.

20160919_184000.jpg[/url]

After that I just put a bit of grease on the nut and knocked it back flush ready to weld up.

20160919_192345.jpg[/url]

Edited by Nbettley

Nbettley

Long time since the last update,

Front panel and inner wings were nakered so cut the old ones out and welded some new repair panels in, a lot of time measuring and "adjusting" to make sure the front end was nice and square. Then just put some rust prevention/primer on them to protect them until its painted. Pictures below -

Also has anyone ever patched up the lower windscreen surround, looks like it has had some water collect there at some point and it has rusted back. i have tried to make a patch for it but not had much luck due to the sweep and tight radius's. could ideally do with another donor body to cut the section out of.

cheers

Nick

post-16991-0-85516900-1507142764_thumb.jpg

post-16991-0-83130300-1507142780_thumb.jpg

post-16991-0-98069200-1507142791_thumb.jpg

post-16991-0-11283200-1507142804_thumb.jpg

post-16991-0-58156700-1507142812_thumb.jpg