• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

Engine Swap 1.4 To 1.1

Telf

Hi all,

Pretty simple question- My sons project car is a 1.4 GR. Having looked at the cost to insure for him at 17 its in the region of £1600!

So I was thinking of finding a 1.1 TU and fitting that, then getting the paperwork changed with the DVLA.

I presume a 1.1 TU should just fit straight in- does anybody know if this is correct?

Cheers!

Telf

also (unlikely I know!) but does anybody have one they don't want?

pugdamo

Yeah it will go in but I would run this by your insurance company before you do it as they are likely to see it as a modified vehicle and charge more.

Telf

Does it count as modified if its all done legally via DVLA- I mean its reducing the power output!

pugdamo

Does it count as modified if its all done legally via DVLA- I mean its reducing the power output!

I wouldn't like to say, I agree it should go down but I don't think a lot of insurance companies use any form of logic, so id give them a call to check before you go through swapping engines.

allye

Almost certainly cost more to insure modified to a 1.1 than the 14

• Like 1

TAG

I think DCC here may have a 1.1 TU for sale

barneys66

Let me know if it's a goer and I'll see if the scrappy still has my engine - I know it got pulled as a mate had the gearbox..

Anthony

Have you got a comparative quote for a 1.1 205? I'd hazard a guess that it probably won't be much lower sadly even treating it as a standard car which, technically, it wouldn't be.

Telf

Quite possibly true Anthony, Im going to check on Go Compare!

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Hi,

If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.