• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

piglet14

Xud7? I Think. Fuel Tank Bolts Etc.

piglet14

Hello all, another newbie out of his depth, well not completely,,yet.

My 18yr old son has a bizarre fascination for 80's cars and detests the Seat Arosa that I provided as his 1st insurable car.(think inbetweeners car)

I customer of mine had to clear his yard and GAVE us a not unnattractive 1993 Saxon blue diesel with GTi alloys. As with most free cars it was free for a reason which gives me an opportunity to impart some of my hard earned car knowledge, such as it is.

Advice please:

I drilled out the fuel tank bolts from under the seats but the mush heads appear stuck, are they welded?

As a 1.7ish with a turbo is this a XUD7?

The filter purge button does not circulate fuel as I would expect but pressurised against the pump, even with the ignition on and stop solenoid open, is this correct? This means to purge effectively you have to remove the supply from the injection pump and purge into a container.

We havent had the car on the road yet but it starts and appears to run well.

Apologies for asking dirty Diesel questions on a GTi forum.

Thanks in advance

Tim

Ozymandis

I drilled out the fuel tank bolts from under the seats but the mush heads appear stuck, are they welded?

Yes.

As a 1.7ish with a turbo is this a XUD7?

Yes.

The filter purge button does not circulate fuel as I would expect but pressurised against the pump, even with the ignition on and stop solenoid open, is this correct? This means to purge effectively you have to remove the supply from the injection pump and purge into a container.

Yes.

Paul_13

Unless that's had an engine transplant it should be a 1.5 NAD not a 1.7/8 Xud7t.

Got a pic of the engine bay should help

welshpug

saxo wasnt in production till 96, itll be an ax with a tud5.

jackherer

Where are you two getting Saxo and/or AX from?

This thread is clearly about a Peugeot 205!

welshpug

Where are you two getting Saxo and/or AX from?

This thread is clearly about a Peugeot 205!

I customer of mine had to clear his yard and GAVE us a not unnattractive 1993 Saxon blue diesel with GTi alloy

I thought a misspelling of Saxo :lol:

never heard of saxon blue.

Edited by welshpug

piglet14

Thanks for replies,

Not a Saxo, it's a Saxon Blue 205, apologies for confusing the issue.

I found the block plate which is marked A8B thus making it a XUD7T or XUD7TL or XUD7TE depending on which website you believe.

The VIN code contains AA8, what does that mean?

Anthony

The fuel tank bolts you're trying to drill out are actually studs welded to the shell. Have you snapped one or both when trying to remove the tank?

It's possible to drill them out complete and replace with a long M8 bolt tacked in place.

The priming pump should push fuel through with the hose disconnected. With the hose connected, it'll go firm when you've pushed the air out of the fuel line and the engine should then start.

piglet14

Thanks Anthony,

I took one look at the tank bolts and didn't even try to undo them.

Both heads are drilled through, as they are welded in I will just grind them flatter and fit new, won't bother tacking them.

The primer is doing what it's supposed to then, how does it pass air but not fuel?

Also, the supply from the tank does not go straight to the filter but goes via something tucked up below and to the right of the turbo, above the lower rear circular transmission mount, can't really see what it is.

Is it a lift pump, can't find reference to it anywhere.

welshpug

ahhh!

its very common for the Lucas remote filter priming button to not work, fitting an inline priming bulb as used by the later XUD's is a wise move.

the unit near the turbo is a heat exchanger.

I would tack the bolts, or you'll need an assistant inside, unless you have particularly long arms...

piglet14

I have an assistant, the owner.

Primer pumps well with the pipe off, just doesn't circulate like I'm used to, my Connect van doesn't have a primer at all!

Heat exchanger in the fuel line? What?

welshpug

your connect van will have a lift pump most likely.

yes, a heat exchanger, the later xud's have a filter bowl on top of the thermostat housing instead of a remote unit.

piglet14

Thanks Anthony,

That makes sense, I think the mechanics are good, just need to get the brake pipes & welding done and try for a MOT.

Cheers

Tim

piglet14

I've tried the online decoders but not getting what I want.

How do I verify engine code A8B from VIN: VF320AA8225284165

Thanks

Ozymandis

I've tried the online decoders but not getting what I want.

How do I verify engine code A8B from VIN: VF320AA8225284165

Thanks

Google "Peugeot public servicebox" go to the site and register.

This is a free service from Peugeot, it gives you all the exploded parts diagrams, part numbers etc.

They have a vin number search which tells you exactly what assortment of bits your individual car was built with.

Its a bit clunky but very useful.

piglet14

Thanks Ozy,

Did that, as you said lots of info on there, somewhere! Doesn't confrm or deny the engine block code, but it is a 7T.

Service box gives a warranty start date of 01/01/1990, but the V5 states new at 1st reg 93, what's going on there then?

One more thing, Haynes only list a 205 petrol?

VEHICLE FAMILY 205 A PARTIR MOD 1991

SILHOUETTE 5 DOOR SALOON

ENGINE TURBO DIESEL XUD7T

TRANSMISSION BVM5

PAINT TYPE METALLIC PAINTWORK

UPHOLSTERY COLOUR "FT"

GEARBOX (CHARACTERISTICS) BE3

ENGINE (TYPE) XU/XUD

Edited by piglet14

Tom Fenton

The 205 manual doesn't cover the diesel, but Haynes did a separate Peugeot Diesel engine manual that covers the diesel specific bits. The other Peugeot diesels of the same era e.g. 205/309/405 etc were the same.

piglet14

Aaah, why sell 1 when you can sell 2.

Ozymandis

If you get a Haynes 205, get an earlier edition, they are much more detailed, go for the one with a black and white line drawing on the cover.

look on ebay and you will see the difference in covers.

Also the Citroen diesel engine books the same engines if you see one for a quid.

Both books are full of mistakes for diesel 205,s take em as a guide only.

Uberderv

Xud7t is a non intercooled turbo diesel which was fitted to the 205, xud7te is intercooled turbo diesel which was fitted to other pug/cit.

The coolant/fuel heat exchanger on the back of the block is prone to letting air in the system due to the pipes going hard, its a reet pain to get too as well.

I'm guessing your engine has the Lucas fuel system which I don't know a lot about but the primer should go hard when any air has been forced out. A clear section of pipe between the filter and pump inlet can help a lot when diagnosing starting/running issues.

piglet14

Thanks Drivers,

I read that about the fuel heat exchanger, think ours is ok at the moment.

Just put new Viton O-rings in the Lucas pump so it'd no longer weeing Diesel everywhere. I still don't get how the purge clears the air then goes firm, but it works.

How many 90HP XUD7TE's have found their way into 205's?

Cheers

Tim

Uberderv

Hi Tim,

Many people have intercooled the XUD7 but the 'usual' engine swap is for the XUD9TE.

Can't speak for the Lucas system (I think its the same though) but the Bosch pump is fitted with a hollow bolt+banjo for the return with a 0.5mm hole in.

This is fitted to the upper part of the pump housing to A- Help expell air.

B- Regulate pump case pressure.

So when you prime the system the air escapes through the hole till its removed, you are then trying to pump liquid through the same orifice. This is why it goes hard..... Oooh err :)

piglet14

Uber,
Don't know about the .5 hole, but our pump exit banjo has a non return valve, which works when I suck'n'blow,,,,oooer again.

My old 405 was a 1.9 with intercooler, must have had the 9TE, should have kept it eh? Cars wernt on the radar back then.

Ozy,

missed your post on Haynes, too late I bought a pair off fleabay for a couple of quid each, I never read the things anyway, just write stuff in the cover.

Edited by piglet14