• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

barneys66

White 1987 Ph1 1.9 Gti For Road And Track Shenanigans..

jackherer

Nicely done :)

I don't remember much about the 8v breather layout but it looks like you have a hose from the oil filler tower looping back to the filler cap which doesn't seem right?

barneys66

Nicely done :)

I don't remember much about the 8v breather layout but it looks like you have a hose from the oil filler tower looping back to the filler cap which doesn't seem right?

Thanks!

That loop is just to block them off - I don't think they're needed in my application, i.e. with the carbs..?

welshpug

where does the small pipe go? I think ideally you need a breather filter on there as you haven't got anything venting to the inlet like you would with a standard engine.

toolie72

Yeah! Are you using power steering reservoir as a catch tank? Gas has to go somewhere-you'll pressurise crankcase which will mean oil, oil/gas is going to try and find its way out-on the flip side it's a good oil powered pressure cooker lol. Remember though that crankcase breathers are small-get the biggest you can, better too big than too small

Many millennia ago one way round it was to plumb a one way valve into exhaust manifold-this used the "suck" from the exhaust to act as a venturi which would pull gas away

For the life off me I can't remember what this was called (google it/make your choice)the idea is you loose the pressure difference between top and bottom which stops oil congregating on the webs of crank making it heavier etc

NB it was an old a series tuning trick if that makes it easier to find on tinternet

toolie72

Shannish just saw your breather

SORRY

• Like 1

barneys66

Thanks guys - yes to using the reservoir as a breather; it's a bit clearer in the work in progress pic below;

Paul - seen that idea on drag racers, with tubes entering the ends of the (open) header.

I think my problem is the oil is not returning well enough and filling up the reservoir. It was very close to working, so perhaps I need to persevere with a custom-jobbie and not lashing something out of spare parts..

DSC_1229_zpsenexdz1z.jpg

barneys66

Shannish just saw your breather

SORRY

Ha! Just seen this post :D

barneys66

Went for a spin after work on Friday, which was nice. Also got to try out new camera settings and play with Video Editor thingy (am a bit of a technophobe).

Bit of a boring vid, but you get the idea..

barneys66

Carpets out in preparation for a trip to see Dez at Stringer Fabrication - he's going to weld in some seat bars.

Still having palpitations about cutting into the floor, but it's the only way I'll get to fit in the car with a helmet on, and RAF Marham Track Day (my first one) is looming..

Was pleased with the general condition of the floors - not bad for a 30 year old, but judging by the last photo it looks like the seat mounts are getting done just in time..!

DSC_1979_zpskucyuatm.jpg

DSC_1981_zpsd5f6vhvh.jpg

DSC_1982_zps1owgxnbt.jpg

jackherer

Good move, and as you say just in time by the looks of it!

I really need to take mine to Dez for the same treatment.

barneys66

Go next week - he'll have practiced on mine!

jackherer

When are you going there?

barneys66

Dropping tomorrow afternoon (around 16:30-17:00) I'm hoping - just about to drop him a line.

Are you about..?

jackherer

Yes, let me know your plans and I could maybe meet you there?

barneys66

Work is well underway - hopefully collecting on Thursday..

Passenger seat is going to utilise the stock mounts, albeit boxed / reinforced, as there's enough headroom with the seat dropped on the new sidemounts. Same could have been done for the driver's seat, just, however selflessly I wanted to retain the slider to enable others to be able to drive without having to break out the spanners each time. This also gave me the option of sitting even lower should the need or want require - the slider robs ~1.5" and could be removed if so.

So, no choice but into the tunnel we go, and out with the front crossmember..

5TFyCpG.jpg

4vuZ7iF.jpg

qGKMqzY.jpg

DPpmlnU.jpg

BeAcVnh.jpg

w8fRtrc.jpg

Y8Bivki.jpg

Tom Fenton

Looks a neat job. Junk the B&Q pipe lagging though and get some proper rollcage padding, its not expensive in the grand scheme.

jackherer

Looks good.

I definitely think you'd have regretted it if you hadn't cut the tunnel.

I agree about the cage padding, it didn't matter before because you would definitely have been ejected from the vehicle in the event of a crash, complete with the seat probably :P

barneys66

Thanks guys - point taken on the roll cage padding, however I resent the insinuation that it was B&Q lagging. HomeBase at least, purrrleeeeeease.

Ha! Yes Jack, those original seat mounts were hanging on by a thread - good job I'm so svelte..

Anyway, a couple more pics from Dez and collection tomorrow has been agreed - can't wait !!

o5tYKnH.jpg

7GuZZ5m.jpg

9Mj4n2w.jpg

XgD3P4B.jpg

barneys66

Had a gentle day on the car today due to baking sun and weekend fragility..

Started by tidying up the underside of the tunnel where it had been cut - a quick clean up, some rust converter and underseal to follow. Quick pics to give you an idea of the intrusion;

DSC_2088_zpsitb9e0zx.jpg

A few more detail pics to show how the seats are now mounted, including the provisions made for the drivers' slider (sorry about the rubbish phone pics);

DSC_2093_zpsfhlsiwup.jpg

DSC_2094_zps66c95oop.jpg

DSC_2095_zpsu55shexj.jpg

DSC_2096_zpsl9t63usm.jpg

DSC_2099_zps5vmzsdrl.jpg

DSC_2089_zps8ckfvcjr.jpg

DSC_2097_zpseeqhirmb.jpg

Then, it was a case of trying to get the carpet back in, cut and reshaped, which took ages - not entirely happy with the end result but a bit of carpet glue will help..;

DSC_2106_zpsfvmtnyoq.jpg

DSC_2107_zps55lic5tg.jpg

New roll cage padding ordered as suggested by Tom and Kieran - certainly looks more business-like than the old pipe lagging!

DSC_2101_zps4nlyesvj.jpg

DSC_2108_zpsvicnwesa.jpg

Done. Got next week off so back again tomorrow to tackle the following;

Underseal

Finish fitting passenger harness

EPAS cooling loop

Wire up tacho

Etc, etc

jackherer

Looks good, especially with the carpet back in. The padding looks a lot better too.

barneys66

Not sure who's seen my other thread contemplating an XU10J4RS and 5-speed conversion, but below is the reason why.

An invisible crack in the block, seeping VERY slowly, so today (dare I say it) I chucked in some RadWeld to see if that'll cure it temporarily as I accumulate the bits for the block swap. Heck, I'm tempted to run an autosolo early June if it stops dripping. Go out with a bang and all that..

_20170501_161349_zpswuo9sddi.jpg

barneys66

Also fitted my new / secondhand Sparco Evo 2 Plus seats between showers - not only larger to suit my frame but a composite construction so much more comfortable than the outgoing steel framed Sprints (for sale ad coming soon..).

Old versus new;

DSC_2185_zpszxoj7tu9.jpg

DSC_2188_zpsl2zwyc9p.jpg

DSC_2187_zpsf3rey8av.jpg

• Like 1

jackherer

Great seats! Are you sure you need the 2 Plus though? What was my drivers seat like for you when you tried it? That's just an Evo.

I've also got an Evo L (same as Evo 2) that I'm going to use as a passenger seat so most people can fit in it but I move about in that quite a lot compared to the smaller seat.

barneys66

That's because I've got a fat ass ????

They do seem a good fit but only tried them on the drive (and kitchen) so will see on the autosolo..

I do like the extra shoulder height they afford though - no longer feels like my spine is being compressed when I tighten the straps!

Evo.jpg

• Like 1

welshpug

thats a very useful graphic, shame they dont cater for the tall and slim :P