• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ATK

[Body_Work] 1991 Gti Steel Grey Detailing Progress Thread

ATK

Thanks very much buddy :)

ATK

Todays jobs were a new alternator, new starter motor, new fuel filter and new fuel pump. Running nicely!

Final big job is a rolling road and tuning session a week Saturday - can't wait!

Wallby

Where are you getting it done? Tommy's?

ATK

Yeah, been there once and his pre-tune check indicated head gasket on way out, so couldn't have it done that time.

Had the head done so fingers crossed for next time! Cool guy!

dcc

Oooo might pop along to have a look :)

• Like 1

ATK

Couple of easy jobs this evening!

- Sealed up holes behind drivers door card as it's been pissing water since I took the card off to replace the window motor and disturbed the plastic backing.

- Fitted new Peugot badge to front - freshened the front end up nicely!

- Finally, fitted new gearstick gaiter from Topgaiters. Looks good I think!

Tomorow I''ll be fitting a boot seal, weather permitting of course.

IMAG1533.jpgIMAG1532.jpg

ATK

Couple of evening shots :)

IMAG1551.jpgIMAG1550.jpgIMAG1550.jpgIMG_20140512_211254.jpg

• Like 1

ATK

New OE style mats arrived today from Ebay.fr, very pleased indeed with them. New windscreen being fitted this afternoon then tomorow morning having the engine tuned and set up on a rolling road!

IMAG1561.jpgIMAG1559.jpgIMAG1560.jpg

GLPoomobile

Man, I'm still so jealous :P Can't believe you picked this up for £1900! Just being nosey, are you keeping a log of how much you've spent on it since you got it, in terms of the refresh work you've done?

If there's one negative (and only one) I would say it's those retrimmed seats. I honestly think it might be worth asking the trimmer to adjust the bolster covers. There's too much slop and I suspect over time that's going to end up creased and looking nasty.

ATK

Cheers bud, agree on the seats - I need to visit a local upholsterer to get some adjustments done.

Need to add up what I've spent but I think it's probably £3000 or so on top of the purchase price. My budget for a 205 was 5k but now I've got everything exactly how I wanted it, and other than electrics there's not a massive amount of stuff left to go wrong and I've enjoyed doing it massively (plus I've got a new wiring loom here just in case that I picked up if the electrics decide to play up:) ) Famous last words....

Edited by ATK

Wallby

Not too far away from you are 'a touch of class' upholsters http://www.tocupholstery.co.uk/. Ive used them to get my seats done and they did a brilliant job!

Car is looking brilliant!

Edited by Wallby

ATK

Cheers buddy, Hengoed isnt far at all, got any pics of yours?

Daviewonder

This really is turning into an awesome gti. There's one thing that plays on my mind too though, have you fitted genuine spot lamps yet? ;)

ATK

Not paying Siem prices for lampsb:) reckon the Denjis are good for the money. Siems maybe one day!

ATK

Had it rolling roaded today at Tommys in Abercynon. Made 117.9bhp and 96 at the wheel and was given a clean bill of health. Not bad for a 23 year old car!

Edited by ATK

ATK

Autoglass back out yesterday, replacement screen was leaking. New rubber seal put on yesterday and all is well. Everywhere in the car is now bone dry (even the boot) after a good sealing and leak spotting session on the weekend!

ATK

Also fitted new Peugeot badge to front yesterday.

Waiting for PSCUK to reissue the driving lamp protectors now :)

GLPoomobile

Cheers bud, agree on the seats - I need to visit a local upholsterer to get some adjustments done.

Need to add up what I've spent but I think it's probably £3000 or so on top of the purchase price. My budget for a 205 was 5k but now I've got everything exactly how I wanted it, and other than electrics there's not a massive amount of stuff left to go wrong and I've enjoyed doing it massively (plus I've got a new wiring loom here just in case that I picked up if the electrics decide to play up:) ) Famous last words....

It's interesting when you consider the recent arguments about whether 205 GTIs (in general, not specific examples) are worth the high prices some are being advertised now.

You now have a very tidy, well maintained, and well running (as I understand) GTI in a desirable colour combo, plus you are going for the OE approach which increases value. and this currently stands you at about £5k. It seems lt seems like there's still some things you'd like to do, so no doubt that cost will creep up too. Yet some people begrudge the notion of a £5k 205 GTI. Clearly this example IS worth it though :)

I've said it already, I really admire this car B) It's getting close to my perfect fantasy GTI.

ATK

Thats very much indeed matey :). The bodywork could be better (pics always make it look better than in the flesh whatever car it is) but it's more or less where I want it to be. As you say, there'll always be other jobs creeping up, now the bulk of things have been done I can justify other things more, like Siem driving lamps at some point!

It's certainly a car I would never ever sell, but even if I were to sell I wouldn't expect to get anywhere near everything I've paid out, it's simply the nature of doing up cars, I reckon.

If something were to happen to it (god forbid), I wouldn't hesitate in spending £5K on a properly sorted GTi as a replacement. I don't think £5K is extortionate at all for a car that is becoming rarer and is obviously a classic!

Values will always be a very controversial topic, eh!

Edited by ATK

GLPoomobile

if I were to sell I wouldn't expect to get anywhere near everything I've paid out, it's simply the nature of doing up cars, I reckon.

And I think that is really the crux of it, the reason why I find it amusing that people will bemoan the higher priced examples (the ones that are deservedly high priced I mean, not the rotters like the chavved up K reg Miami in the other topic). People would rather spend less on something reasonably tidy, yet invariably end up going on to spend thousands more on the umpteen little jobs that always need doing after purchase, and in no time at all they've spent the same as they would have if they'd bought the higher priced car in the first place, that may well have been in better condition and not needed the same work done. So in a way, the initial purchase price almost becomes a moot point to some extent.

Anyway, enough of that, I don't want to hijack your thread with more of this controversial nonsense :ph34r:

ATK

Yep agreed, even the little parts all add up.

All good fun though :)

ATK

Fitted a brand new GTI side badge today, as the new one I already had on there didn't quite match the 1.9 shade of red and it was bugging me.

Also painted my brake calipers red yesterday. Red seems to divide opinion but to me they look tidy and I can always repaint them silver or something if I get fed up with the red.

Next job is to replace the speedo cable over the weekend to solve my wobbly needle- any tips for doing so?

Aside from sourcing and fitting a set of Siem Driving Lamps + PSCUK Driving Lamp Protectors when available, that's everything done and dusted, aside from fixing anything else that decides to break.

Been a good journey so far!

MOT in a months time, don't anticipate it failing, amazingly the history of the car shows it's never failed an MOT yet in all it's 23 years!

Edited by ATK