• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MiCRO

Throttle Body

chris adams
I thought the 605 TB has a single butterfly valve?

yea im thinking hes got his info all mixed up somewhere along the line. as the 2.0 turbo has single butterfly with those measurements hes suggested. so it still stands that the vag conversion is the best way of converting a worn out mi16 dc6 1.9 throttlebody. that was a long way round a small bend. talk about goose chases !!!!!!!!!!!!! <_<

Edited by mi8 turbo

MiCRO
well ive measured the tb from the rear and the opening is 40mm but there is a step of about 1mm around the circumference so the butterflies on my mi16 dc6 are 38mm in diameter.

Tnx

And the other tb I'm talking about is definitely a double tb, there are more engines than just a 2.0 turbo in 605. 2.0 8v and also a 2.0 16V. I'm not sure from which engine this 42mm tb came from, but I'm buying it soon so I will post here the manufacturer and/or some kind of a code.

DRTDVL1345402287

Pictures will help boys...

chris adams
Pictures will help boys...

agreed but im unable to download from my phone to my laptop as i have no link cable and my camera eats batteries like no tomorrow but ill get some charged for this special occasion

Edited by mi8 turbo

chris adams
well ive measured the tb from the rear and the opening is 40mm but there is a step of about 1mm around the circumference so the butterflies on my mi16 dc6 are 38mm in diameter.

Tnx

And the other tb I'm talking about is definitely a double tb, there are more engines than just a 2.0 turbo in 605. 2.0 8v and also a 2.0 16V. I'm not sure from which engine this 42mm tb came from, but I'm buying it soon so I will post here the manufacturer and/or some kind of a code.

i doubt that a double 42mm butterfly tb would fit the standard dc6 inlet manifold. ill do somemore investigating tomorrow to see

chris adams

Tnx

i doubt that a double 42mm butterfly tb would fit the standard dc6 inlet manifold. ill do somemore investigating tomorrow to see

after doing some searching ive come across one of alexn s threads askin about extra performance for his mi16x4 and in reply m.i-man posted that there is a webber double 42mm butterfly tb but it does not fit the mi mani without an extension plate of 18mm but which engine this tb is assighned to it does not say. so the question goes to alexn/m.i-man do you have any info on this webber tb???

Edited by mi8 turbo

chris adams
is the 605 bigger than the mi tb then?

Yes, according to a friend of mine, it should have 42mm butterflies.

Can you confirm that Mi16 are 35mm?

Because I have one tb which has 38mm butterflies, so I'm not sure.

the tb with 35mm butterflys are from an xu9j2 engine from the bx gti or the 405 sri

cammmy

Will you guys be getting rid of the AFM?

TBH the standard throttle body looks far bigger than the peice of crap AFM in front of it. You would likely just slow the velocity of the air and choke the motor down low if you went bigger?

I think far better gains would be made switching to a MAP sensor or even a hotwire type AFM.

My 2c

chris adams

TBH the standard throttle body looks far bigger than the peice of crap AFM in front of it. You would likely just slow the velocity of the air and choke the motor down low if you went bigger?

I think far better gains would be made switching to a MAP sensor or even a hotwire type AFM.

m.i-man quoted he had decent gains from his conversion weather or not it was remapped i dont know

Edited by mi8 turbo

chris adams

m.i-man quoted he had decent gains from his conversion weather or not it was remapped i dont know

wouldnt the long runners create the velocity and therefore the smaller bores on the tb act as a restriction. would this not be a good option if the engine were in a higher state of tune???????????

cammmy

^Possibly, I figured that the TB's are similar to the venturi in a carb which create the velocity. Multiple units of smaller diameter will make the motor more responsive and give more torque down low while a larger one is better for ultimate flow but can ruin the response.

Have you had a look inside the AFM Mi8? If you do then you will have an idea why I think changing to a hotwire type will provide better gains than changing the TB. Not saying that a TB change won't create more power, just that I think getting rid of the stock AFM would be a better thing to do first. I think you would find your TB change would work much better.

I'm not talking from experience though, just from a lot of reading :P

Does anyone how difficult it would be to change the vane type for a hotwire?

chris adams
^Possibly, I figured that the TB\'s are similar to the venturi in a carb which create the velocity. Multiple units of smaller diameter will make the motor more responsive and give more torque down low while a larger one is better for ultimate flow but can ruin the response.

Have you had a look inside the AFM Mi8? If you do then you will have an idea why I think changing to a hotwire type will provide better gains than changing the TB. Not saying that a TB change won\'t create more power, just that I think getting rid of the stock AFM would be a better thing to do first. I think you would find your TB change would work much better.

I\'m not talking from experience though, just from a lot of reading :P

Does anyone how difficult it would be to change the vane type for a hotwire?

thing is im not using afm i want the large tb for my xu10 turbo engine which im using 405 sri inlet manifold

:P:P:P:P:D;)

Edited by mi8 turbo

DRTDVL1345402287

You will run into problems depending what MAF you go for as i can't remember which way it is on the pug, but the resistance values are typically reversed i.e. 5v-0v AFM vs 0v-5v MAF

It's a fairly common swap on other cars just have to have a fair bit of electrical / circuitry know how...

cammmy
thing is im not using afm i want the large tb for my xu10 turbo engine which im using 405 sri inlet manifold

Good point. I was going to say you wouldn't want to run an AFM with a turbo anyway but got caught up in my tangent and forgot :lol:

chris adams

Good point. I was going to say you wouldn't want to run an AFM with a turbo anyway but got caught up in my tangent and forgot :lol:

its all gravy baby B)

Edited by mi8 turbo

chris adams
You will run into problems depending what MAF you go for as i can't remember which way it is on the pug, but the resistance values are typically reversed i.e. 5v-0v AFM vs 0v-5v MAF

It's a fairly common swap on other cars just have to have a fair bit of electrical / circuitry know how...

is there anymore info on this throttlebody with twin 42mm plates

MiCRO

Got some pics of the 42mm throttle body:

gedc0986.th.jpg

gedc0989c.th.jpg

Looks pretty much the same. It's hard to notice but I think the butterflies are bigger, there is also an extra hole, and the tps looks different.

If I get hold of it soon, will post more pics and serial numbers.

chris adams
Got some pics of the 42mm throttle body:

gedc0986.th.jpg

gedc0989c.th.jpg

Looks pretty much the same. It's hard to notice but I think the butterflies are bigger, there is also an extra hole, and the tps looks different.

If I get hold of it soon, will post more pics and serial numbers.

intresting. so you havnt actually accquired this item to do any measuring as of yet .

MiCRO
intresting. so you havnt actually accquired this item to do any measuring as of yet .

Not just yet, but soon my friend, soon. ;)

This guy sent it today, so hopefully I'll have it in couple of days.

chris adams

sweet ! and you say this piece of equipment is from a 605.

MiCRO

Was told so, can't google anything.

chris adams

Was told so, can't google anything.

i believe that this perticular tb needs a spacing plate of 18 mm to allow fitment due to the second butterfly opening gradually and the mech that allows this hits the mani. does fancy selling it?

Edited by mi8 turbo

MiCRO

LOL I just bought it, don't think I'll be selling it, cause finally I got the right thing (I hope).

Here are some pics to compare Mi16 and 605 (I suppose) one:

p2402111027.th.jpg p2402111026.th.jpg

There is a stamp of production year - '92, so thats what you should be looking for.

Sign in to follow this