• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DrSarty

[engine_work] I Forgot How Much I Missed It!

petert

You were up late last night Miles!

mechanicalrepairs

Have you managed to sort this yet?

Carl

DrSarty

Hi:

I got round to sorting things out. This WILL have an outcome on several things: getting out in a 205 after nearly 6months, AND which car I plan to take on Scandic Scramble, aka Eurotrip '14. I'll post in the ET14 thread shortly.

A new job, being back in the UK, family, weather, laziness etc all delayed me doing something. As expected, once I started I loved it, and didn't want to stop.

I had suspected that after refurbing my GTI6 lifters back near Xmas, I had reassembled them incorrectly. It sounds daft as it is, and I felt/feel a right muppet; especially as I've refurbed lifters before.

From the pictures below, you'll see that a sunny Good Friday had me remove the cambelt and cams (tough in the space available once fitted in the car), clean up all faces, fish out, disassemble and reassemble the lifters, than put everything back, refit the cambelt, time it up and bolt on the ITBs and generally get it ready for starting. I haven't started it yet though, as my back couldn't tolerate being bent over the engine bay any longer.

Bearing caps and cams out:

photo4.jpg

The engine mess:

photo3.jpg

Lifters lined up and one 'banged out':

photo2.jpg

Close up of a lifter, showing the piston inserted the wrong way round:

photo1.jpg

I would assume that the lifters all pumped up, but to maximum extension which simply didn't let any valves fully close, hence no compression and no start last Nov/Dec!! Grrrrrr!

I've noted what a tight/bugger of a fit the brake master cylinder is with the GTI6 engine; is it normally this tight meaning the rear cam cover needs filing down quite a bit?

So tomorrow I just have to refit the master cylinder (once I can get it back onto the studs on the servo), refit the alternator, put in the strut brace (which holds the coilpack), connect stuff up and turn the key. Fingers crossed.

If it runs I'll book a mapping session at Emerald, trailer the bitch over and give it death again.

P.S. Also noted that my 'warn' has expired. I'm a good boy again.

Edited by DrSarty

welshpug

Doh!!

Fingers crossed they werent open too far then.

kyepan

I did the same thing refurbing them when i rebuilt mine richard, it was actually too much oil / preload, rather than wrong way round, it also failed to start, sounding like no compression, i would suggest you don't prefill them, and let it rattle it's tit's off for 30 seconds whilst they fill to the correct level.

lest you fill them, put it back together, and get no compression.. again.

hope this helps.

DrSarty

I've been meaning to post, but it was running on the Saturday morning, i.e. the next day; it started on the button.

It seems best/common practice IS to 'evacuate' lifters, i.e. install them empty. Yes they can be pre-filled, but there's the risk like Justin explained. Better to let it rattle - which it did for about 4 mins - before it suddenly quietens down....which it did nicely.

I made a video on my work iPhone (it's free), but the vid was 170mb and I'm struggling to reduce it.

I'll leave the video until it's on the rollers. It sounds good on my ITBs, and I'm really pleased they're all my own work.

One thing I have noticed, is with that bugger of a GTI6 exhaust manifold, it seems a longer speedo drive cable - say a 405 one - would be a better option. It's very near the pipes, and will no doubt dry out soon and produce a sticky/flickering speedo needle. What do people normally do, as re-routing doesn't seem an option.

Edited by DrSarty

welshpug

no need to reduce the video, just upload it direct to Youtiube, FlickR or similar, preferably NOT Photobucket as they kill the sound quality, and we wouldn't want to dull the sound of the trumpets would we! :D

This engine certainly does have a distinctive induction bark which is still evident on ITB's as much as the standard intake.

Edited by welshpug

Anthony

One thing I have noticed, is with that bugger of a GTI6 exhaust manifold, it seems a longer speedo drive cable - say a 405 one - would be a better option. It's very near the pipes, and will no doubt dry out soon and produce a sticky/flickering speedo needle. What do people normally do, as re-routing doesn't seem an option.

You can clip the 205 cable right up against the bulkhead and that keeps it off the manifold, but as you say, using a longer 106 or 405 cable is a much better option.

With either option you'd be well advised to apply some kind of heat protection to the cable as the heat given off by the manifold is significant - the cables suffer badly enough on standard 8v's after all and that pales into insignificance compared to the '6 manifold!

DrSarty

Mapping tomorrow at Emerald. Wish me luck.

Some short drives show urge and torque; a real shove in the back, even though driven gingerly.

MoT'd already (walked it), and insured through HIC on a very good package, including UK certified event track cover, Euro & UK breakdown cover & an agreed value of £5.5k. Quite happy with that.

Starts on the button. No leaks. Nice running temps.

Interior sound deadening added & sound system blissful.

Really excited. Will post results & graph ASAP. Hopefully some video too, hopefully with some nice induction roar.

If all goes well, she's off with me & my son 31 May to France, Belgium and Germany, then around Scandanavia. Follow us in the 'Scandic Scramble' topic.

Edited by DrSarty
  • Like 2

kyepan

Good stuff, let us know how you get on!

blandy

Nice look forward to seeing the results great thread

dcc

Waiting patiently is not one of my strongpoints...

kyepan

ominous lack of update... hoping it hasn't expired on the rollers.

welshpug

Or its just going BWARP so well he's loving it too much to post on the interwebz.

• Like 1

kyepan

Hopefully the latter

DrSarty

Thanks for the interest and comments.

No...there was no 'bang' or expiry on the rollers, but it did take a little longer than planned (due to staged injector config. issues needing some firmware tweaking), and the headline numbers aren't that astounding.

Just under 180bhp with 152lbft torque. The exhaust seems to be the main factor holding it back, despite it being a (pattern) 205 GTI one. It is a bit raspy, and Dave referred to it as a 'peashooter'.

However it drives and behaves pretty damned well, goes like a rocket and has me grinning a lot, all set to take it round Scandanavia 31/5 to 8/6 inclusive with my son.

And the 'bwarrp' is tasty and louder than the exhaust.

Graph attached.

Going to enjoy it for a while, then later upgrade cam(s), the exhaust and the trumpets on the bodies before a remap when I'll leave it alone. I'll then focus on building some standard Mi16 engines, a turbo Mi16, and finish my Miami with the 11:1 CR 2.0 Mi16 locked away, begging for attention.

Emerald1-21May14.pdf

Edited by DrSarty
  • Like 2

camgti

Great Work!

WIll be a reliable and fun motor to Tour in.

All the best with the trip. Ill join in one day!

Cam