• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

pug_ham

Good research & passing on of findings Sandy, the EW could make an interesting modern engine swap for the 205.

I assume the later mulitplexed engines would still run fine on the earlier non multiplexed looms so if you wanted to keep the original ecu a rewire would be possible?

Also, does that mean the 2.0l EW is around the same weight as an XU7J4 but with more potential?

g

edbar

Why would I want it? I dont need the car to meet tight emissions so would want them full advance all the time to make power, it would just be a redundant potential complication.

Tom Fenton

Why would I want it? I dont need the car to meet tight emissions so would want them full advance all the time to make power, it would just be a redundant potential complication.

I would keep it, you will probably find the car will make more low down torque with the cam timing retarded, then move them more advanced as the gas speed increases with engine rpm.

pug_ham

If I was going to the trouble of fitting an EW with VVC, I wouldn't remove it without proof it was sapping power / torque.

Modern VVC systems aren't as prone to failure as the early ones imo & you could get a better response from tuning work with it still fitted imo.

g

Matt180

Why would you want to ditch VCT?

I'd love to see a project thread on here where someone's actually done this conversion.

It's pretty straight forward really. Mounts are basically the same with a few adjustments. I run all the 180 box, cable shift, shafts etc so they needed extra work but you dont need to go down that route. Then just modify the inlet for cable linkage or drop some ITB's on it :D

Alan_M

So where exactly does the 180 get its extra horsepower from, over the 138bhp engine?

I've read the 138bhp inlet is pants to be frank which falls in line with the Longman improvements made by fitting ITBs.

Really, is the 138bhp engine worth bothering about, or is the 180 the better option (surely this lump will cost £). Or should I just stick to GTi6.....

Matt180

So where exactly does the 180 get its extra horsepower from, over the 138bhp engine?

I've read the 138bhp inlet is pants to be frank which falls in line with the Longman improvements made by fitting ITBs.

Really, is the 138bhp engine worth bothering about, or is the 180 the better option (surely this lump will cost £). Or should I just stick to GTi6.....

Inlet, exhaust and a better head. One thing to remember, the 180 measured in ps which is roughly 177bhp. Most ive seen some make low 170's so not actually that much more than the gti-6.

They do respond to mods very well as simpsonrc and i have proved. Both around the 200bhp mark with just TB's and standalone.

welshpug

I have seen 200 from a remap and a decent catback exhaust on a 180.

ponz

I'm actually about to do this conversion in a few weeks. I'm going with a Cat cam, Jenvey ITBs and standalone ECU. I'll let you know how it goes...

ponz

Will do. I don't have the Jenvey ITBs yet, anyone got any tips on the best place to get them for this engine?

welshpug

hmm... Jenvey? ;)

Depends also if you want to use the off the shelf Jenvey inlet which isn't the best (due to being pretty short and sharply angled+offset to clear the PAS in the 206)

A custom inlet with bike ITB's would be my choice (properly bolted down of course, no silicone hose), you'd get a decent length tract and reliable o.e quality bodies :)

ponz

hmm... Jenvey? ;)

Depends also if you want to use the off the shelf Jenvey inlet which isn't the best (due to being pretty short and sharply angled+offset to clear the PAS in the 206)

A custom inlet with bike ITB's would be my choice (properly bolted down of course, no silicone hose), you'd get a decent length tract and reliable o.e quality bodies :)

Thanks for the advice, so where would I get them?

Matt180

I used the standard inlet due to the oil ways passing through it. There were no off the shelf manifolds about when i did it anyway. Just cut it and had DCOE flanges welded on.

Edited by Matt180

Sandy

They are just breather holes. Other provisions easily made.

ponz

Why isn't there a separate section for EW engine modifications/conversions?

Makes it very hard for people to find this info if it's lumped in with the XU engine section.

• Like 1

Sandy

Early days!

ponz

Early days!

I bet if it's own section were created, people who have 'embraced the EW' would start popping up everywhere...

Tom Fenton

As Sandy says early days. I will raise in the Admin section with regards a new section as I agree it could be useful.

James504

I know of a 205 gti with a RFK (ew10j4s) already getting around brisbane, Australia. Can't believe after 13 years in service there hasn't been any real ew interest (outside of france). Comparable to the first xu9j4 conversions which showed up 90-91.

ponz

I know of a 205 gti with a RFK (ew10j4s) already getting around brisbane, Australia. Can't believe after 13 years in service there hasn't been any real ew interest (outside of france). Comparable to the first xu9j4 conversions which showed up 90-91.

Brilliant! If you actually know the owner, tell them not to be shy and get some pics/details up here already!

edbar

I Think that is mainly becuase the conversion is harder to do as the XU engines go straight in with no messing around changing mounts or gearboxes thats what put me and my friends off doing it with his. It is a shame their arent more though.

Edited by edbar

Matt180

Well i know of 3 EW'd 205's in this country and im sure there is more!

welshpug

i only know of two, plus a visa that sandy has built an engine for!

much easier than a v6 conversion!

Edited by welshpug

Matt180

i only know of two, plus a visa that sandy has built an engine for!

much easier than a v6 conversion!

Mine and ??