• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Matt180

[project] 205 Gti 180 Track Car

Matt180

This car is mint i love it. Are them 180 gti engines a strong unit like the gti-6?

Had no issues yet, thats with hard track use every time it comes out. I have heard these were tuned by lotus but not sure how true that is.

Matt180

3" is surely way to big, I used that size on a 300bhp turbo car........

It may be slightly on the big side but hardly "way to big". 2.75" would have been the ideal size but i used the materials i had. Im hoping for somewhere near 280-300 so should do the job just fine, also not going to be a problem in the future if i go forged and turn the boost up.

stu8v

It may be slightly on the big side but hardly "way to big". 2.75" would have been the ideal size but i used the materials i had. Im hoping for somewhere near 280-300 so should do the job just fine, also not going to be a problem in the future if i go forged and turn the boost up.

True, Looks great :)

Matt180

Got the engine and box bolted up and ready to be lifted back in. Here's a pic of the new Helix 6 paddle fitted

13102011544.jpg

When the engine conversion was first done i fabricated a small box to hold the gear selctor box. The selector boxes are pretty bulky and i needed more room in the tunnel for the 3" exhaust so raised it up as high as possible.

09102011542.jpg

The car doesn't run any of the original instruments so i ripped apart the loom and cut it down to the bare minimum. Managed to fill 2 shopping bags of excess wiring so a good bit a weight off :D

08102011538.jpg

Everything back up and working

29112011588.jpg

Edited by Matt180

Paul_13

Where's the speedo? Or you not using it?

Matt180

haven't had a speedo on it for years, not needed.

madspikes

Awesome!

That is just going to be proper mental! - I love it!

Do you have any more info, pictures on the 180 engine install? How hard was it to get running on the 206 OE loom?

What kind of boost do you think it might end up running? I'm very interested to know what the throttle response is going to be like, with the throttle post charger. In my charged GTi its a bit like a switch!

Keep up the great work.

Mad.

Matt180

Awesome!

That is just going to be proper mental! - I love it!

Do you have any more info, pictures on the 180 engine install? How hard was it to get running on the 206 OE loom?

What kind of boost do you think it might end up running? I'm very interested to know what the throttle response is going to be like, with the throttle post charger. In my charged GTi its a bit like a switch!

Keep up the great work.

Mad.

No pics of the conversion. It wasn't worth the hassle getting it to run on the standard loom. You need to have every connector plugged in as its mutiplex. It was only to get it running really, you wouldn't want a 206 fuel tank, lights, clocks etc rattling around in the boot of you 205 lol.

Aiming to run around 7-10 psi max. Throttle response is instant either way as the rotrex produces boost on idle. Personally i dont like the idea of the TB on the inlet of the charger.

allanallen

Excellent car Matt, I'm a big fan!

Definetely better with the throttle downstream and a blow off/re-circ valve especially on a track car. Much easier to map too.

Keep up the good work

• Like 1

Matt180

Excellent car Matt, I'm a big fan!

Definetely better with the throttle downstream and a blow off/re-circ valve especially on a track car. Much easier to map too.

Keep up the good work

Cheers mate, im a fan of yours too. Well i think its yours ive seen a few videos on youtube of?.

Matt180

For those that dont know what variable valve timing pulleys look like ;)

07112011561.jpg

S/C and alt belt setup

02112011559.jpg

Here's the 75mm TB im using, its from a 3 series bimmer. Had to trim a few bits down and also modify the spindle to accept a vauxhall yoke. I like the vauxhall cable because it has a push on ball fitting instead of the bike brake type end. Also a vaux vectra cable was perfect length. I cut the top part of the vectra pedal off and welded it too the 205 pedal for a OE fit :D

02112011555.jpg

Ready for fitting

02112011556.jpg

Edited by Matt180

Matt180

Been really busy over the last week getting the engine fitted and putting everthing back together.

09112011562.jpg

09112011567.jpg

10112011572.jpg

Matt180

*****BIG UPDATE******

Well ive been really busy over the 2-3 weeks getting the car finished. My girlfriend very kindly bought me a trackday at cadwell park on jan 22nd so i really needed to get cracking.

19112011575.jpg

14122011614.jpg

06122011604.jpg

06122011605.jpg

14122011616.jpg

The engine is now mapped and made 306 bhp 221 lbft at 11 psi. Im very happy with the results and after a quick spin around the block i was even happier :D

Heres a vid from some of the mapping session

Edited by Matt180

Tom Fenton

Superb buddy, hats off to you, looks excellent. How have you controlled the VVT via the ECU?

Matt180

Yes its controlled/switched by the omex. Its not variable just off or fully advanced. Thats good enough for max bhp output, if you wanted economy it would be better fully controlled.

feb

Very nice.

It must be mental to drive :D

Edited by feb

Tom Fenton

Interesting stuff, did you try max power with the cam timing at base setting, do you know what difference swinging the cams made?

Matt180

Never compared it. It switches at 2500 rpm so is always on when im on track, plus with boost i dont think ill notice it. When it was running TB's i had it on the road and you could feel the switch over. Nothing like vtec though :D

allanallen

Brilliant Matt, fantastic job you must be chuffed with the results!

Am I right in thinking the engines internally standard still?

Al

Matt180

yes its all standard internally apart from catcams 804's

welshpug

might work better if you pop the standard exhaust in? wont be blowing as much of the boost down the exhaust then.

stu8v

Thumbs up, thats going to be one serious weapon :)

Hope mine turns out something like

Matt180

might work better if you pop the standard exhaust in? wont be blowing as much of the boost down the exhaust then.

Im not sure on the spec of 804's but think they are a fairly mild cam. Cant see it making much difference?. I dont have the standard ones anyway :D

allanallen

How have you limited the boost Matt,Is it just on the pullies?