• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mad Scientist

[engine_work] 2.2 Gti6 Engine Build

craig_007

Hi mate,

I could be interested in your ITB set up if WP isn't.

What is the overall length of this set up from the head to the end of the trumpet ?

Doe's the inlet manifold have the original injector holes at the head, My ecu doesn't have the ability to run 8 injectors unfortunately so would need to run the 4 injectors in the manifold.

How soon are you thinking of selling ?

I currently run Jenveys with the Colin Satchell inlet and I'm due to go for final mapping in the next 2 weeks so if your selling soon I could take these off you.

If you want PM me to save making a mess of your thread here mate.

Craig

Edited by craig_007

Mad Scientist

Right then. Rush of interest in the parts I am selling........bunch of vultures!

Bodies now sold.

Been let down by the buyer for the cams, so they are in the for sale section.

No choice but to move onward and upward now!

Back on track.....................

I received the head today, and its exactly what I was looking for.

Lets try a link and see if it works:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff313/PeteQuigley/DSC_0511.jpg

I'll add some more shortly.

Rough spec of the head is as follows:

0.5mm oversize "Longman spec" inlet and exhaust valves. All one piece stainless steel. The inlets have waisted stems and back cut heads, so should flow a fair chunk more. The valves have been recessed 1.4mm to allow a 40cc combustion chamber. This also allowed Mark to cut better valve seats. The valves have also been unshrouded, and the combustion chambers cleaned up.

Port wise, the exhausts have had the guides cut flush, and the ports opened slightly. Mark has done a fair chunk of work around the short side radius and the valve seat. The larger diameter has enabled better seat angles to be cut, and blended better into the ports. The ports have then been polished up accordingly.

Same story for the inlet ports, although port size is unchanged and the valve guides are not cut down, and the finish is obviously left rougher.

The valves do not even need lapping in due to the accuracy of SRD's machinery. Just to be sure, they have all been vacuum tested.

Finally, Mark removed the plugs in the oil galleries and ran up some new slugs for me to fit after final cleaning.

There are a few more details, but I can't reveal everything!

Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Next job is to measure how much room I have on the overlap with these bigger valves. This will determine what lift at TDC my new cams can be. I'm hoping that the fact they are recessed an extra 1.4mm will negate the 0.5mm size increase. This will also give me an extra 1.4mm of potential lift, but to be safe, i'll work on an extra 1mm. Obviously, a dummy build will check everything fits nicely.

:)

marksorrento205

Great stuff Pedro. That head looks the titties :)

thelegendofando

That head looks incredible! That's going to flow superb! I hate to think how many pennys that cost :P

ACL Duraglide 780s are what I'm now using, lead lined and have to imported from Australia apparently.

Good work, will have to pop round and have a look at it in the flesh at some point.

Mad Scientist

Thought i'd add a few more pictures from this evening.

This is how the car sits now:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff313/PeteQuigley/IMG_0743.jpg

I'm going to take a few things off that may get in the way, then fit the old engine, completely bare of internals. This will then be used to make up the exhaust manifold, whilst I concentrate on the new engine build.

Old engine, with nothing in it!

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff313/PeteQuigley/IMG_0746.jpg

Meanwhile, i've been checking valve to valve clearance around TDC to see what profile cams I can run.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff313/PeteQuigley/IMG_0736.jpg

Note the model springs I use to mock up the head. They allow me to move the valves about easily for checking clearances etc.

Got the dial gauges out to check lifts at TDC.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff313/PeteQuigley/IMG_0747.jpg

Its bloody close. The only way I can check the profiles i'm thinking about properly is if I can get hold of the displacement curves from the manufacturers. This will allow me to open the inlet and exhaust up to the various points around TDC to check clearance. I'm not sure if I can get this info from the various manufacturers, but thats tomorrow lunchtimes job!

Mad Scientist

Can anyone give me a clue about how to add pics as thumbnails. I know there is an FAQ, but it makes no sense to me.

Got a large parcel from Jenvey today. How kind of them!

Tesstuff

Can anyone give me a clue about how to add pics as thumbnails. I know there is an FAQ, but it makes no sense to me.

Got a large parcel from Jenvey today. How kind of them!

Your pics are small enough to be shown as they are, thus not needing thumbnails.

Instead of pasting your link to the photo into your message, click the 'Insert Image' icon underneath 'Other Styles - Fonts - Sizes' and paste it into there.

Liquid_106

Or just copy the link from Photo bucket that has the image tags:

[img= Photobucket URL ]

I 'think' the Thumbnails are only available with ImageShack - Anyways, back on topic - more please!!!!:lol:

Mad Scientist
th_DSC_0541.jpg

Mad Scientist

Well that kind of worked, but I cant open it up bigger.

Anyway, that is my box of tricks from Jenvey.

Mad Scientist

And here is some of the contents. 48mm 112mm long bodies. They are boxed back up to be sent to Colin for a manifold and trumpets, all designed to fit under the 205 bonnet, whilst being a custom length and taper from bell mouth to back of inlet valves. :)

DSC_0544.jpg

Mad Scientist

GOD DAMN PHOTOBUCKET!

Is that too big for the Pug Police???!!!

Mad Scientist

Try this from imageshack:

dsc0543m.th.jpg

Liquid_106

- if the image is greater than 800x600 pixels, put up just a link, without IMG tags, or resize it to a smaller filesize before uploading.

So you could have put that last one up directly - which personally I prefer ;)

Anyway, for all my image posting assistance, give me your Jenveys!!! :wub:

Mad Scientist

Sorry, I'm quite attached already. I am a dealer though, so if you want some Jenveys, i'm your man! ;)

Apparently my conrods will be ready next week, so it won't be long before this engine gets a dummy build.

Still need to decide on cam profiles, but there are so many things to consider...............

marksorrento205

Good stuff Pedro :) Think im going to have to bob round to have a wank over all the shiney bits ;)

harryskid

Good stuff Pedro :) Think im going to have to bob round to have a wank over all the shiney bits ;)

Not in the throttle bodies ! :lol:

marksorrento205

Not in the throttle bodies ! :lol:

Whats wrong with a bit of pre start lube :lol:

Edited by marksorrento205

Mad Scientist

UPDATE:

The car is going to Jp Exhausts in Macclesfield at the end of the week for the manifold. It is being made to the specs I am providing and has been designed to give the best spread of low down grunt possible with the cams. They are dearer than Maniflow, but having seen plenty of their work, it's worth it. The collectors they make are a better design and they have some serious high tech bending gear. In the long run, if I factored a trip to Salisbury in, the cost will be very similar. Hopefully they will let me take a few pictures for this thread.

Batfink

how do you work out the right primary and secondary lengths?

welshpug

ask sandy nicely :lol:

cam profile info and rev range plus what worked previously I'd imagine?

Mad Scientist

Sandy was happy to give me a good generic pattern. I have developed this a little based on discussions with several very clever people. There are also some very good books on the subject.

The main aim for me is to help with the midrange wherever possible, despite the lairy cams.

Mad Scientist

Stopped in a Peugeot this morning to pick up a rook of parts I ordered for the engine rebuild. Money does not go far in there, even on trade!

dsc0547cd.th.jpg

The eagle eyed will spot most things on there. Note the new chain, piston, spring and gasket for the oil pump. Also got a new pump spacer (L-shaped) to try and see if using 2 reduces chain slap a touch.

The pile of parts in my office is getting quite large now.

Don't think I shared the flywheel bling with you all yet...............

dsc0548zp.th.jpg

I do have some concerns over starter tooth wear, but we will see how it goes.