• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

How Much Speedo Cable Should Be Sticking Out?

pugpete1108

i was fitting a new dash/guages today and went to connect up the speedo cable but somehow managed to pull the cable out of the sleeve.

foolishly i kept pulling and it came out completely :) , i put it back and connected it up but when i went to check the box end i found just this little amount sticking out:

post-7077-1262734564_thumb.jpg

is this enough sticking out for it to work? i cant actually get hold of it to pull more out if not.

Paul_13

Nowhere near enough mate, should be a good 5-7mm

pugpete1108

balls, i'm gonna have to try and get hold of it with some needle pliers then

pug_ham
Nowhere near enough mate, should be a good 5-7mm

It should be more than that, at least 10-15mm imo.

Graham.

lagonda

Pain in the proverbial, but to be honest would probably be best to pull it out again & oil it....these cables tend to dry out especially where close to the exhaust. This will make it last longer, run smoothly...and help you get it to emerge fully....suggest twisting cable as you re-insert it. Not sure if inner cable also pulls out from gearbox end....if it does, will save you re-dismantling dash. Again twist it while inserting, & once fully in, get someone to check speedo needle moves as you turn inner, so you know it's actually engaged in speedo drive.

blandy

Should the inner cable part move in and out a lot? I.e mine if it doesn't get 100% in line ends up pushing the inner cable in when fitting to the speedo drive, so it all plugs in yet no speedo as the cable hasn't engaged. Is this normal or do I need a new cable?

oldkiteman

you shouldnt be able to push the inner cable that far,Looks like a new one is needed

blandy

thanks for the reply best buy another new cable then

Sign in to follow this