• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

arwel

[rally_prep] Road Rally 205 Gti

arwel

I have had a read of a few projects on here so though I would start my own.

It all started when me and my other half deceided that we would fancy having a go at rallying. I knew that road rallies are popular in our area and is probably the cheapest and easiest way to get into the sport so we deceided that would be our path. We went to Finland in July to watch the Finish round of the WRC and started our search for a car when we came back.

The original plan was for a Saxo vtr or 106, so we went to a garage to see about a Saxo and got talking to the sales man and it turned out that he used to do a bit of road rallying in the past, what happened next was amazing. He told us to forget about a Saxo and buy a 1.9 205 GTi, so he talked himself out of a possible sale and gave us some great advice, dont get that from many salesmen eh?? :wub:

So thats what we did. In august we put an offer in on ebay for a Gti and got it. We travelled from sunny Wales to Poole and brought it home. Tax and Mot for £800. It needed a little bit of work but was perfect for what we wanted it for, It was pretty solid and even though its over 150k on the clock it still goes and sounds great.

So far its had a new airflow meter, track control arm each side, sorted rust on bottom of the rear quater, stuck on a Green cotton induction kit, sportex exhaust from the manifold back and group N engine mounts. We also serviced him so he runs pretty well now. Oh and currently has one white wheel that we ve refurbed. We have 9 wheels altogether which will be going white soon. So here is Pugsley as he stands at the moment

CopyofPhoto0039.jpg

CopyofPhoto0040.jpg

Photo0041.jpg

Photo0042.jpg

Photo0043.jpg

In the new year it'll be set up as its a bit rich at the moment, also a knocking from the rear which will hopefully go away when it gets new suspensipon all round too, failing that it could well be a new beam time. Also there'll be a cage on order and these will go in at the same time.

Photo0038.jpg

Photo0037.jpg

Seats were had off ebay for a steal and their virtually like new, TRS 4 point harnesses from Peter LLoyd Rallying.

So there we are for now. More updates in the new year

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Arwel + Claire.

matt.f

Looks good,i am in the process of doing the same as you at the min,bet you pulled the handbrake on that snow lol

arwel
Looks good,i am in the process of doing the same as you at the min,bet you pulled the handbrake on that snow lol

Well it would have been rude not to wouldnt it. ;)

Forgot to add in the first post. We've also changed the front brakes for some grooved Brembo's with Mintex 1144 pads.

Next up is a getting it set up as he loves the super unleaded a bit too much and get some new shocks and gravel springs and then get a cage on order and sort out some subframes for the seats. ;)

andyjstone

Why is it a 'he', surely all 205s are 'she' ;)

Leon

Bwrw eira ar y mynydd, I'd recognise that car park anywhere.

Arwel, are you from Brynamman?

davey sprocket
So far its had a new airflow meter,

Photo0043.jpg

Do you mean NEW airflow meter?? As in £551.26 according to Service box??

Not sure I could quite bring myself to part with the cash!

harryskid

Dont for get a good sump guard an a tank guard.Ihave a pair of full harness if youre intrested they out of date but legal for road rallying and in very good nick.

Harry skid

harryskid

Sorry i didnot see your pics till after i see you have full harness. I WOULD also like to say if your car got a sunroof it would be a good idea to fill it in. Having had a nasty exp rolling my first 205 on a road rally i was glad that one had it done. After the car was a total write off so when i started stagerallying i bought a non sunroof model. Also a good move is to get cage welded to shell at certain points, it also gives you a more ridged shell.

Cheers happy rallying

arwel
Bwrw eira ar y mynydd, I'd recognise that car park anywhere.

Arwel, are you from Brynamman?

I am indeed from Brynaman. Its handy having the Black Mountains right in your back garden. Do you live around the area too?

The airflow meter was an ebay bargain, £40 and it was less than 12months old. result. ;)

Yeah sunroof will be taken care of. Hopefully get it done when i get a cage sorted.

Edited by arwel

Perky

May see you out on afew road rallys this year then, hoping to get afew done. Few jobs left on it and off for mot test.

Leon
I am indeed from Brynaman. Its handy having the Black Mountains right in your back garden. Do you live around the area too?

I used to. If you are who I think you are, do you still live on Brynceunant?

matt.f

Perky you have/had a similar car choice as me Gti,Renaultsports and RS's,Megane is the best FWD car i have driven in the dry but the worst in the snow 235 tyres terrible

Hope to be out on a few road rallys my self this year,just got some studs for my top mounts so will be able to fit the group n bilsteins as well as strut top strengthening plates,got a LSD,Mocal oil cooler,1.9 calipers and to run the fuel and brake lines inside yet

arwel
I used to. If you are who I think you are, do you still live on Brynceunant?

No thats the other Arwel, Arwel Ginger your thinking of.

Im the one whos parents used to own the chippie on mountian road. :unsure:

Leon
No thats the other Arwel, Arwel Ginger your thinking of.

Im the one whos parents used to own the chippie on mountian road. :blink:

Ahhhhhhh I thought you sounded too educated to be Arwel ginge, LOL!

I'm Leon who used to work in Pixies (the enemy!) and Park Garage :unsure:

Perky
Perky you have/had a similar car choice as me Gti,Renaultsports and RS's,Megane is the best FWD car i have driven in the dry but the worst in the snow 235 tyres terrible

Hope to be out on a few road rallys my self this year,just got some studs for my top mounts so will be able to fit the group n bilsteins as well as strut top strengthening plates,got a LSD,Mocal oil cooler,1.9 calipers and to run the fuel and brake lines inside yet

Yeah the R26 Megane is an awsome car, really wish i didnt sell it ;) bought a new shape 08 wrx after and wasnt half as much fun, that went after afew weeks and got an Audi tt (i know abit gay but it was cheap!) Sold that before xmas so looking for something to replace it now.

Atleast ive acouple of mk1's and my 205 to keep me happy at the moment :lol:

arwel

Picked up another gearbox over the weekend. Its another 1.9 BE3 box. Gearbox thats in Pugsley now is fine, just a bit of crunching when seleting 3rd and 4th gear. Im thinking syncro's are on the way out so picked up this new box which doesnt have any issues for £60.

Was tempted with a 1.6 box for closer ratio's but after a lot of reading the difference wasn't really that much so stuck with what we have now. Stil hunting for a safety devices cage and lining up a few other purchases soon, so look out for updates in the next few days and weeks. :lol:

allye

Uuummm, I want a girlfriend like yours!

liamd205
I have had a read of a few projects on here so though I would start my own.

It all started when me and my other half deceided that we would fancy having a go at rallying. I knew that road rallies are popular in our area and is probably the cheapest and easiest way to get into the sport so we deceided that would be our path. We went to Finland in July to watch the Finish round of the WRC and started our search for a car when we came back.

The original plan was for a Saxo vtr or 106, so we went to a garage to see about a Saxo and got talking to the sales man and it turned out that he used to do a bit of road rallying in the past, what happened next was amazing. He told us to forget about a Saxo and buy a 1.9 205 GTi, so he talked himself out of a possible sale and gave us some great advice, dont get that from many salesmen eh?? :)

So thats what we did. In august we put an offer in on ebay for a Gti and got it. We travelled from sunny Wales to Poole and brought it home. Tax and Mot for £800. It needed a little bit of work but was perfect for what we wanted it for, It was pretty solid and even though its over 150k on the clock it still goes and sounds great.

So far its had a new airflow meter, track control arm each side, sorted rust on bottom of the rear quater, stuck on a Green cotton induction kit, sportex exhaust from the manifold back and group N engine mounts. We also serviced him so he runs pretty well now. Oh and currently has one white wheel that we ve refurbed. We have 9 wheels altogether which will be going white soon. So here is Pugsley as he stands at the moment

CopyofPhoto0039.jpg

CopyofPhoto0040.jpg

Photo0041.jpg

Photo0042.jpg

Photo0043.jpg

In the new year it'll be set up as its a bit rich at the moment, also a knocking from the rear which will hopefully go away when it gets new suspensipon all round too, failing that it could well be a new beam time. Also there'll be a cage on order and these will go in at the same time.

Photo0038.jpg

Photo0037.jpg

Seats were had off ebay for a steal and their virtually like new, TRS 4 point harnesses from Peter LLoyd Rallying.

So there we are for now. More updates in the new year

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Arwel + Claire.

Hey Arwel and Claire. Nice looking car! I'm building my second 205 rally car at the moment. Any plans for that big sunroof? Maybe a new roof skin! I fitted one before. Great fun. Lol! Also check the Fia approval on those particular seats. Can you run a 1.9 engine if its your first time doing tarmac in the UK? I have a 6 point Sparco bolt in cage if you were interested. No longer need it. Fitted a Custom Weld in this time in my new car. Good luck with it. Liam

Edited by liamd205

arwel
Hey Arwel and Claire. Nice looking car! I'm building my second 205 rally car at the moment. Any plans for that big sunroof? Maybe a new roof skin! I fitted one before. Great fun. Lol! Also check the Fia approval on those particular seats. Can you run a 1.9 engine if its your first time doing tarmac in the UK? I have a 6 point Sparco bolt in cage if you were interested. No longer need it. Fitted a Custom Weld in this time in my new car. Good luck with it. Liam

Hi, Not sure on the sunroof yet, plating it up is looking like the best option so far. The seats dont need to be in date forwhat we re using it for. We'll be doing night events which are run mainly on back lanes which start around 8-9pm and run into the early hours of the morning. ;)

arwel

Power boost valve turned up today after ordering it from Peter Lloyd Rallying on Wednseday afternoon. B)

Get that fitted soon then its off to Tommies in Bridgend on the 1st Feb for some tweaking. :lol:

arwel

Spent the morning up in Abercynon today at Willfield motors aka Tommies. He fitted the power boost valve then ran the car on the rollers. He made some tweaks to the idle speed, the air/fuel mixture and tweaked the ignition timing. Did another 2 runs and some minor adjustment untill we were all happy. So a 20year old car with 157,000 miles on the clock achived an impressive 119bhp. Engine is nice and solid and healthy too. Cost me £95 altogether which isnt bad considering the time that was spent adjusting things and time on the rollers.

Pugsley is now much more smoother and more responsive to drive. Here's a cheeky pic from today.

Photo0053.jpg

Picked up some second hand fuel tank guards Sunday too. Dont look pretty but they'll do the job, so thats another item off the shopping list.

Next up is a visit to Longlife for the exhaust to be made a bit quieter as at the moment I doubt it would get through scrutineering. MOT is also booked in for the 19th but before then we'll hopefully have new suspension and some subframes for the Cobra's and also an out side chance of a cage. :)

arwel

So today was MOT day for little Pugsley and I had a slight doubt in my mind purely as he's over 20years old with 157,000 on the clock.

No need to worry though, went through after being issued a fail sheet for loose windscreen wiper blades which is a bit harsh. But once they were slotted into place it sailed through. No advisories at all. happy days.

Added bonus of the day is that these turned up

Photo0054.jpg

They will be fitted once the matching front struts and gravel springs are ordered so they can all go on together. Also the seats are now in the car and so will the harnesses soon. Pics of them to come once all fitted nicely.

:)

arwel

Here we are as promised. Seats and harnesses in place, feels much better to drive now, actually feel as if im in the car rather than sitting on it. :unsure:

Photo0055.jpg

Front struts and gravel srpings next month and maybe...just maybe a cage. <_<

arwel

Well its been a little while since my last update..but me and misses have been busy adding to our collection of parts and making some progress with Pugsley.

Firstly we managed to get hold of some gravel tyres. We got 4 Dunlop tyres, 2 with 9mm tread left and 2 with 5mm tread left so there's plenty of life in them for the lanes. Best bit is we paid £60 for all 4 of them, result. :lol:

More tyres meant we needed some more wheels, so another 2 were purchased via ebay again for £20 for the pair. They are a bit tatty and have a nice spodge of red on them but they'll get blasted and then painted white along with the others. So we now have 11 wheels. 4 road wheels and a spare and we'll have 4 rally wheels with 2 spares. Claire, the misses, is doing the painting as Im no good at it and we currently have 3 wheels done in white.

Another purchase was a fuel tank guard. It looked a bit rough but a bit of sanding.... a fair bit of sanding actually and some paint and it turned out pretty good considering it only cost us £20. That'll be fitted at a later date.

Last week we both had a week off and the aim was to re paint the boot as it looked pretty bad and there was a small rust scab starting to form. So we got that done through the week and we decided we that the gray plastic trims were making the car look older than it really is so we decided we would give them a coat of matt black. Pics are below, so compare them to the pics at the start of the thread it looks like a different car, amazing the difference a bit of matt black does. :(

Photo0064.jpg

Photo0063.jpg

Next was the front struts to go with the rears so another visit to ebay and these turned up

Photo0062.jpg

The springs in the picture are gravel springs that were ordered from Peter Lloyd Rallying. So once all the suspension is fitted it should feel like a different car too. The final new toy that arrived was also order from Peter Lloyd on Tuesday. I was told it would take 2-3 weeks as it was out of stock... Next day this was waiting for me.

Photo0061.jpg

I finally got my hands on a cage, after several nearly 2nd hand buys we decided to bite the bullet and order a new one.

So there we are, all upto date. Once everything is fitted there wont be much work left to do untill its ready for competiton, so roll on. :D

matt.f

Looking good,are they GP-N billies?