• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Bogsye

[engine_work] 1.9 8v Engine & Front End Refresh

Bogsye

Can't believe I've just spent my evening trying to remove the driver's seat and its reluctant bolts! Did get it out eventually.

As ever plan A was abandoned early - a small bit of rust needed cutting out at the junction of inner wing bulkhead below the master cylinder. That unravelled as the rust was a bit worse that I thought, and when I pulled back the carpet in the drivers footwell, the sound proofing was totally soaked! So, hence out with the seats, or so I thought.... 1 seat every week means pretty slow progress.

On the flip side my freshly bead blasted subframe and hubs look great coated up in Por15. Been really pleased with it, as it seems to go a long way, which counters the high cost.

Hopefully get back to metalwork ASAP and get some decent photos!

Bogsye

At last got the grey carpet out and the stinking wet underlay beneath.

One of the captive nuts at the front of the passenger seat decided to disintegrate, so that slowed progress by the time I got the seat off the subframe to get better access beneath.

The passenger door lock has seized, so it really is working against me....

Anyway, I was worried about what I'd find under the carpet in terms of rust, but to be fair it's not too bad. In fact I'd say Peugeot did a pretty good job of rust proofing the floor and its seams.

Carpet just lifted,

8703462646_b2f50b714d_t.jpg

205 Gti

A bucket of water and disinfectant later and it looks okay.

8702343011_a079aba297_t.jpg

205 Gti

8703466034_5dd1293070_t.jpg

205 Gti

So, three weeks later than expected I'll be getting on with the little weld repair at the front inner wing. After that some rust removal and painting of the floor to rectify the minor areas of surface rust.

'This time next year Rodders........'

Brian

pugsley

This is my first read on the forum - nice thread. Exactly what i want to do with mine!

Bogsye

Thanks - albeit it must be the slowest progressing thread around here.

Will update it a bit, soon with pictures!

Back beam now stripped and the bearings and shafts are shot.

Loads of fasteners parked up and ready to go and get plated.

Various bits read for bead blasting.

Only problem is that I'm in South Africa at the moment.....So with a little luck I'll despatch those bits next week when I get home.

Feel some welding coming on!!

Edited by Bogsye

Bogsye

So, I got home, despatched the fasteners and now there back. A bit of OCD lining up was called for.

9861596776_fcecedb56d_t.jpg
205 Gti Front subframe

The little dome that covers the gear change linkage spindle nut turned out to be some alloy, and disolved in the acid cleaning! Need another one of those. As expected the nylocs didn't fair well, but that was to be expected - I guess replacement or a decent anti-shake washer should do.

Next onto assembling some parts onto the front subframe. With the benefit of hindsight I'd stick with OEM ARB bushes because one of them has the recess to carry the locating bulge on the ARB. The non OEM 'Superflex' didn't, and the advice was to simply clamp it up, which seems a pretty non-technical & poor solution.

Anyway, some bits back together.

9861580844_01899cedc1_t.jpg
205 Gti Front subframe

My secret weapon in the background that allows multi-tasking of car restoring and baby-sitting!

And, yes, the beam bearings are shot. The outer bearing is actually there, just a bit caked in grime. The shafts are marked, so I'll need ot add that to my wish list.

9526426827_938bd8c9ea_t.jpg
205 Gti

Just need to get those rear beam bits, some paint and the parts grit blasted.

Slowly going forward now I think, as the dismantling phase seem over now. Then it'll be onto bodywork.....

Edited by Bogsye

Bogsye

Moving forward with the project inch by inch.

Sent my rear beam parts of for grit blasting prior to Christmas and got them back prior to the holiday.

11531054263_bc75f5d6f7.jpg

11531016336_bfd100d681.jpg

A few coats of POR15 later they are starting to look quite presentable. Next problem was to source shafts for the rear beam. FR Autos in Poland seemed to be the way forward. Via their 'bay shop I received a couple of kits.

The bearings in the kits are the decent ones with the correct needle count. Some pictures below showing the parts that were supplied.

11529576025_bf35716dd7.jpg

11529625924_cd6d93b83e.jpg

After consulting our forum experts I pressed the new shafts into the arms leaving a 2-3mm gap for the ARB arm seals to seat into.

11529577905_c3d234745c.jpg

At the other side of the arm, that then left the shoulder at the following position in relation to the collar that the seal runs on.

11529618774_9895cc1598.jpg

Christmas arrived and I got these to match the pair I put on the front end.

11592610025_efb2bd73ae.jpg

Need to get the smaller bits and bobs for the rear beam now, and get it reassembled, and then get onto the couple areas of welding that need done.

Onwards!

caballino

Wooow! very very nice!!!

Andy101

I'm considering the FR Autos beam axle kit for my rebuild, would you recommend them?

Bogsye

Hi Andy - yes they seemed to respond quickly and the parts arrived promptly. No complaints at all.

Andy101

Sounds good, think I'll order a set, thanks.

Bogsye

New year resolution.... Get some work done on this car...

Sponsored by my 90's collection of cassette tapes. It's the new vinyl. This may well have been a low spot in musical taste, but it was suitable 'of the period' with tones of Max Power and Cosworth powered Dimma 205's.

24158382909_c7d3437b0f_t.jpg

...but, it provided some motivation.

After a lot of 'do I, don't I..' I finally decided it was worth tearing into the offside inner wing and the crusty bit that looked sort of okay, but I knew would probably actually be quite poor. Indeed it was. The seam was pretty rotten and needed cut out.

24417860282_fa5cc730d3_t.jpg

So out it came and a couple replacement pactches were created. Not too bad, and I used those little clamps I bought from Frost.

23899346733_f1f4286bdb_t.jpg

Waved the welder at it..and gound it a bit

24499961626_5025b17e94_t.jpg205 Gti

Next up the nose of the inner wing at the chassis rail was poor, so I cut that out and made a new piece ready to weld in.

24417859022_dbeeda0a26_t.jpg205 Gti

Having already repaired the nearside, it isn't as neat, and I struggled to get a single headlamp panel for the offside, so I had to buy an entire front panel. Plan B is to dismantle the already sorted nearside, tidy the welds and then put on a complete new front panel. I'll borrow a spot welder to put this together, so it should look okay.

Need to get this project moving as the TVR needs some TLC and the 205 can't command the garage forever!!

Brian

dobboy

Looking good..... keep tickling it along!

BTW, (looking through your thread) I found a place near Newhouse/Eurocentral who do the plating.

Bogsye

Cheers Jack - I'll bear the plating place in mind. Original issue was finding an outfit that would do smallish job lots.

You're right just need to keeping going

• Like 1

dobboy

Yeah, i'm sure they do a bucket sized basket thing for £25, i only found out after i had fecked about with my car and one day i'll have the will (and time) to get mines off my car and sent in. (or on my next project)

Bogsye

Not quite rising from the ashes, but from a period of everthing else getting in the way..

I built the chassis tilter a while back but hadn't had time to clear space get the car mounted up, so finally, thanks to worldwide mayhem, here it is..

49831192976_66a41f991e.jpg205 Gti Restoration

The underside isn't too bad, although I'm sure as I weild the twist knot brush there will be plenty bits needing attention.

49830658548_d2e166a438.jpg205 Gti Restoration

The rear of the drivers side sill that's hidden by the fuel tank is a bit crunchy, so that's going to need quite a bit of reconstruction. For them moment I think I'm going to get the horrifically dirty job of cleaning the whole underside. Bilthamber products and twist drill weaponary have now be purchased, but unsuprisingly dust masks are a bit thin on the ground.

Not saying this is going to be swift progress. Thus far I have been defeated by:

TVR engine crapped itself - now fixed, aside from a refurbished clutch which is not playing ball. Hopefully sort it this weekend.

Young familly - ongoing really

Audi with chocolate auto gearbox - Haemoraging oil and needs a rebuild

It's been a weird year. January/February I changed job, so had garden leave, but the TVR consumed my time, and here we are with more avilable time to do car stuff.

Onwards...

Brian

Telf

Awesome, love that this thread started in 2009, that's some patience, I think that's about the time I bought my latest pug. Good.luck with it.

Bogsye
2 hours ago, Telf said:

Awesome, love that this thread started in 2009, that's some patience, I think that's about the time I bought my latest pug. Good.luck with it.

Thanks Paul - It's been a long road so far. Even I can't believe this started in 2009! My eldest is now 8 and it was joked this might be ready for when he starts driving. At this rate I might miss that.

Suspect my neighbours are not going to be keen to hear all this buzzing and bashing while stuck in their house!

Edited by Bogsye
  • Like 1

series111

Looks very familiar to the stage I'm at.

just keep plugging away.

It will be worth it in the end, well that's what I keep telling myself!!!

Telf

It will be worth it , I love mine even though it rattles and never seems to be finished. I curse it regularly and drive it often. It's even gifted me a speeding ticket. Bloody french bastard!

Edited by Telf

Bogsye

With my new found enthusiam, I've been poking around and wire brushing the rear to see how bad it is.

It's not the worst. The main frustration is going to be chasing the rust out of the various seams.

I'm struggling to figure a good strategy for this area - I can get the wire brush into this, but I suspect at best I'll be sealing in rust, if I then simply trat and paint.

49856696172_ced26820c5.jpg

The only access is going to be to lift the edge of boot floor along the rear arch to get onto this, and form up some repairs.

My thought is it'll look a bit like this. Less hassle than doing the whole lot. I've marked up the photo of a whole panel to illustrate the concept of what I'm hoping to do.

49856487881_01272a0fba.jpg

The corners of the boot floor are a poor repair, and the seam along the back panel is pretty lacey, so I think the Ex-Pressed reair section for that will suffice.

I think the crossmember will be fine with a few sections chopped out and repaced.

The rear of the o/s sill is going to need much work to sort it out.

49855924683_2333eb7894.jpg

Earlier this was looking a bit of a nightmare in terms of eradicating rust, but I think this may well work.

Edited by Bogsye
Not sure how I manged turn text to link - hey, ho..

cybernck

Have you managed to get anywhere with this? :)

Bogsye
4 hours ago, cybernck said:

Have you managed to get anywhere with this? :)

Vague progress - I've taken the rear cross member off as it was pretty rusty especially around many of it's spot welds. I also bought the boot repair panel that replaces the rearmost 250-300mm of the floor, and have fabricated localised repair panels near the rear arches.

My next task is to get the cross member drawn up and fabricated.

In fairness my Cerbera has needed much attention, but at least now works pretty well. Downside is the old Audi S8 (D2) needs the gearbox removed and sent off for a rebuild.

The 205 is my therapeutic project - the others just seem like hard work.

With a bit of luck I'll get some progress on it soon.

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

Get hold of Speno, he did have a brand new old stock Peugeot crossmember. I borrowed it and drew it up as well, so I have a drawing of it.

Bogsye
1 hour ago, Tom Fenton said:

Get hold of Speno, he did have a brand new old stock Peugeot crossmember. I borrowed it and drew it up as well, so I have a drawing of it.

Thanks Tom. I chatted with Speno a while back and he’s wanting to hold on to it, which is fine. 

I work for an engineering company so one of the lads said he’d happily draw it up on CAD and I’ll get one of our subs to laser cut and fold some up. 

It seems the cleanest way to getting a good job on the boot floor.

I bought one of those 300mm wide 3 in 1 folding/shearing/rolling machines from eBay. Used it a couple times and it’s produced some decent results. Great for making small repair pieces and brackets, etc..

ladderboy
On 5/18/2021 at 9:29 AM, Bogsye said:

Thanks Tom. I chatted with Speno a while back and he’s wanting to hold on to it, which is fine. 

I work for an engineering company so one of the lads said he’d happily draw it up on CAD and I’ll get one of our subs to laser cut and fold some up. 

It seems the cleanest way to getting a good job on the boot floor.

I bought one of those 300mm wide 3 in 1 folding/shearing/rolling machines from eBay. Used it a couple times and it’s produced some decent results. Great for making small repair pieces and brackets, etc..

I'm also starting on a repair job for badly rusted rear of boot floor. These, "Boot repair panels which replace rear 250-300mm of floor", where do you get them from? Brian in Glasgow, did you get a floor CAD drawn and laser cut, and if so, could I get one?? Or were you referring to the subframe? Thanx!