• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cammson

Inlet Manifold

cammson

hey people. i started up my 1.9 gti for the first time yesterday and found there was water leaking out the inlet manifold. it looks like the previous owner has had it off and resealed it with instant gasket...which obviously hasnt worked.

was just wondering where i could buy a new gasket from...as i dont really no where i can buy spares from...

Stuart.

Galifrey
hey people. i started up my 1.9 gti for the first time yesterday and found there was water leaking out the inlet manifold. it looks like the previous owner has had it off and resealed it with instant gasket...which obviously hasnt worked.

was just wondering where i could buy a new gasket from...as i dont really no where i can buy spares from...

Stuart.

You will probably have to buy a full headgasket set, I managed to pick manifold gaskets up off the bay, but not sure if you can oder them separately anymore.

Miles

Buy it from PUG direct and no where else, The OE one costs nothing at all and comes with the sealent rings on where every pattern one I;ve seen doesn;t have this

davey sprocket

Well, its thanks to the wonders of the site's own search engine that I've found this thread......

Having had the inlet manifold off a couple of weeks ago (to change the starter motor :) ) I now find I have a coolant leak from the front of the engine.

I, like the offender in the thread above, ended up using instant gasket goo... which appears to have worked OK in sealing up the inlet air but appears to be letting the coolant out somewhere.

First.... why is there coolant able to leak from there?.... it doesnt feed into the manifold does it?? I don't remember losing coolant in taking the manifold off this time or in the past... maybe I've always drained it beforehand??

Secondly.... can anyone confirm whether the GSF inlet manifold gaskets are OK (they appear to be available without the rest of the head set), or like Miles has suggested, not really up to OE spec. They are about half the price of the service box Pug price.

jj205

The inlet manifold blocks off holes in the cylinder head casting from the water jacket (water ways) inside the head. the gasket seals the gap between the two surfaces of aluminium. Its important to clean both of the surface so they are nice and flat, all old gaskets bits removed and free from oil antifreeze residue. I've always used the GSF paper gaskets and never had a problem.

Jonathan

Edited by jj205

shed_racing

Just did one of these a couple of weeks ago; Genuine OE on from the main stealer was not outrageously priced (surprise) and after torqueing up has not leaked; was tempted to go the gasgacinch route myself, but glad I didn't.

Worst part was removing the old one !!

I'm far from expert at these things, but some items really should be OE, and I'm loathed to admit that, being on an uber-budget !

Good luck.

Tom Fenton

Tap the un used waterways, threadlock a grub screw in there, no more issues.

davey sprocket
Just did one of these a couple of weeks ago; Genuine OE on from the main stealer was not outrageously priced (surprise) and after torqueing up has not leaked; was tempted to go the gasgacinch route myself, but glad I didn't.

Worst part was removing the old one !!

I'm far from expert at these things, but some items really should be OE, and I'm loathed to admit that, being on an uber-budget !

Good luck.

Yeah, I guess so, I'm not afraid to pay dealer prices if I need to (this appears to be £5.98 +VAT against GSF's £3.50 +VAT) but if its essentially the same thing.... and the dealer is further away from me too.

My other concern is that, that way things are at the moment, I seem to be taking the bloody car to bits most weekends, so it might not be on there long. :ph34r:

davey sprocket
Tap the un used waterways, threadlock a grub screw in there, no more issues.

Ah, now that sounds jolly sensible sir!

That confirms my suspicion that there is actually no need for the coolant to be able to get out of that inlet face of the head in the first place.

I think I may well do this next time I do something major in the engine bay, for the moment I think I will just get a new gasket in there.

Thanks all for the responses!

Tom Fenton
Head2.jpg

davey sprocket
Pic of exactly what he was talking about!

Cool, they say a picture paints a thousand words! :ph34r: Thanks!

I'm surprised Peugeot didn't decide to plug those holes up on this engine for this installation. Well, actually, no I'm not surprised!

davey sprocket

Right.... job jobbed as they say.

Phoned Peugeot dealer this morning.... would be a couple of days to get the gasket :ph34r: Had to do the job this evening as I need the car for a longer journey, so off to GSF I went.

And this is what I got...

th_DSC03021.jpg

Complete with proper OE sealing ring. £3.50 plus VAT.

And then down to business after work this evening.... all kinda easy because it was all apart only two weeks ago and I'm quite keen on the old copper grease when rebuilding.

Once the fannymould was off I can see more reasons not to use intant goo for this purpose....

th_DSC03022.jpg

It hadn't sealed the inlet properly.

It's sucked into the inlet tracts of the head and coated everything in goo (thankfully Petrol gets it off with a bit of elbow grease)

And of course it didn't keep the coolant in the head.

So if one person reading this learns from my mistake, it was worth posting!

• Like 1

dannydub

I'm having the same issue at the moment.

New manifold gasket on but coolant leaking and my local main dealer doesn't sell genuine gaskets anymore

What would be the next plan of action?

Sign in to follow this