• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

B1ack_Mi16

[car_restoration] Alien Vs. 205

ALEX

I helped moving my mates partially stripped shell a few feet to the left.

Three of us at front nearly threw it over expecting it to weigh more than it did.

This project is looking good BTW good work...

Just the kind of insiration I need, I'm off to look at an old F plate CTi on Sunday!

Edited by ALEX

ALEX
eat some spinach first

Or buy another friend... :(

col16vt

looking good mate love full resto's

Edited by col16vt

B1ack_Mi16
Kristian, I'm spotting some improvements in your rebuild technique, but how do you manage all your rear beams looking the same?

Or did you use old unused photos of the first one? :D

Good luck with the project, I'll keep an eye to this. ;)

Forgot to mention, 75kw 1.9 was also German market only katalyzed version of 1.9 GTI in Jetronic times, I checked one example overhere recently.

It had 1.6 suspension, drum brakes rear and 14' pepperpot alloys.

Didn't really get the improvements in my technique? :P Can't understand what you mean if it's not that I'm not sandblasting this time, although that is not an improvement :)

It's not the same beam as on the last car, this time I use proper 2 pac paint on everything!! :)

The shell is not very heavy, I would guess 4 people can move it quite easily, but I would make some supports on it before you start moving it in case you need to drop it in a hurry :)

cybernck

beware, those 17's look properly large on an otherwise standard 205's, due to their design!

and that comes from someone who thinks there's no such thing as wheels that are too large :rolleyes:.

de Noir

I meant your new turning-over tools. Looking better now! :o 2-pac paint too! :rolleyes::P

bluesleeper

liking the wheels a lot. i think they looked ace with the red line around the rim.

mmmm nice!

Gareth. :)

Hilgie

This is a nice pic for you :)

post-125-1246353510_thumb.jpg

j_turnell
This is a nice pic for you :(

post-125-1246353510_thumb.jpg

Have to say i quite like that :)

Kroged
This is a nice pic for you :)

[nice car]

Got any more info on that car? It was the first 205 with challenger wheels that I really liked!

OnT: Nice project you got there B1ack_Mi16! Looks like you got a good deal with the wheels to ;)

Mandic

Isn't that CJ's car? GTi6 powered, copuled with custom exhaust... it sounds absolutely amazing, looks good too.

Cheers

Ziga

dcc

From speaking with CJ, im sure he said that he used the alloys from a GTI180 206, which I thought were 16" rims! Even still, his car was a fantastic bit of kit!

welshpug

those are 307 wheels, they have centrecaps, 206 ones don't and are 1/2" wider :geek:

Hilgie

No this car is from Maurice, but CJ's car is very similar.

B1ack_Mi16

More than two years since I did any work on this car now.

Reason is that I bought a 405 T16 project in the summer 2009 which I'm still working on.

However yesterday I finally did some minor work. Drilled out the middle front seat brackets, some rust behind them, so I'll chop out some of it and weld in some new metal, then get the brackets sandblasted before I weld them back on agian.

IMAG0807.jpg

IMAG0808.jpg

It is slightly wrong to say I did nothing to this project utnil yesterday though.

Earlier this year I did grind down the SL434 wheels and painted them, they turned out stunning I think, and I'm wondering if a red chassi colour would match these wheels perfect :)

IMAG0119.jpg

IMAG0124.jpg

IMAG0124.jpg

Finished object before and after :)

CIMG0723.jpg

CIMG2996.jpg

What do you think, I have a feeling that red bodycolor will be nice :)

B1ack_Mi16

Ok. This car has been standing for so long now. But as the 405 T16 project was moved to my garage at home, I will try to do some work on this 205 now and then when time allows for it.

As the missus and my daughter has been away for a while (getting back home tomorrow) I used the last evening home alone to start working on this 205 again :)

Decided to fix the rust hole under the rear seat on the left side today. I also did some sandblasting of some rust that has been forming last 6 years it's stood more or less untouched!

Cleaned up under the main seat brackets, will need to sandblast brackets and get them welded back on.

IMG_20151123_181734_zpsl6wjacgv.jpg

Typically rusty patch underneath rear seat where the plates are double. Already cut of the thicker reinforcment part here.

IMG_20151123_181749_zps1k9s7fho.jpg

Cut out and welded in new metal. Had to grind the welds quite a lot as I was going to put a thicker plate on the outside, not looking very good.

My welding is also a bit crap yet, too long since last time :)

IMG_20151123_204036_zpsyrnwzy1v.jpg

Made a reinforcement patch to go on the outside.

IMG_20151123_204050_zpsjytilbxm.jpg

Welded it on, should be very solid, just hope it will not start to rust.

IMG_20151123_205957_zpsvv2qfunm.jpg

Not easy to spot, but I soaked the area in Owatrol penetrating oil. After it has dried I will paint with 2 pac to seal it off.

IMG_20151123_211132_zpssdubgrpq.jpg

• Like 1

B1ack_Mi16

Managed to get some time this evening so welded the cracks and the brackets for the front seats.

Next I guess more spot blasting of rust, and a trip to the local paint supplier for some white thick polyurethane based paint to protect it :)

IMG_20151206_213143_zpsex8lj21x.jpg

ALEX

I've bought and restored a Cti since the last time I commented here.

It 'ill l need restoring again by the time this one is finished! :P

B1ack_Mi16

:lol:

Progress is indeed slow. However at least I've restored 85% of the 405 T16 since the last post too :)

Today however I managed to paint the front part of the underbody. So at least some visible progress. Need to remove more rust on the rear part before painting.

IMG_20151228_140433_zpsislpnozq.jpg

• Like 1

B1ack_Mi16

Welded in a patch at the left rear crossmember.

IMG_20160112_212517_zpsizm9231m.jpg

Did more sandblasting today, more or less 80% done now I believe. Blasted a hole in the boot-floor, so seem like I need to do come more welding.

IMG_20160112_212523_zpslndy1l8v.jpg

Sprayed it one more round with Ferrobet rust inhibitor before I left today. I must say it's amusing that there seem to be rust underneath perfectly looking underseal. So surely no 205 is rust free until it's been inspected under all the orignal underseal :)

IMG_20160112_212501_zpst3e7uf6k.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Got a tiny amount of time in the garage today.

Cut out the small rotten piece under the boot floor.

IMG_20160124_134323_zpsykfkbwaz.jpg

Made replacement piece

IMG_20160124_134347_zps4tdbfyt4.jpg

Cleaned up so it's ready for welding

IMG_20160124_135902_zpsgkmhmiyp.jpg

Found some rust spots on the inside of the boot floor on the left side of the car. After spot blasting the rust spots it seem like I need to cut out some metal here too, holes is seen from inside, not outside though so it's exactly where the plate overlaps with the beam underneat.

IMG_20160124_135909_zpsjtmw2jml.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Managed to get some hours today.

Cut out the two other spots I found last time, was quite a lot of rust underneath and the boot-floor plate part were mostly a thick layer of rust,

IMG_20160202_170907_zps9gmu37jo.jpg

IMG_20160202_201507_zpsy3zvz2cw.jpg

Will do a bit of grinding on the inside I guess, the most important is that the welds seem to penetrate ok at the back side.

IMG_20160202_201549_zps2ad7ueuv.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Thanks.

Managed to sandblast the rest of the underbody rust that I could identify tonight, so that's it. If theres any rust left now, it'll just have to be there for a long time :)

Next now will be to get some help and turn it back down the right way again.

IMG_20160208_202214_zpsxa7bgrab.jpg

IMG_20160208_202310_zpszbkswm3t.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Pressed in new wheel bearings in the front hubs yesterday, and gave the carreirs a lick of paint at the same time.

Painted them back when I bought the car, but they've gained quite a few scratches since that so... :)

IMG_20160224_193633_zpsfqv6qrpn.jpg

Also the PAS ram and hubs were painted

IMG_20160224_193648_zpsrulnlhdo.jpg

IMG_20160224_193654_zpsh4kmqc5u.jpg

Found some old Bilstein dampers I'll just use in the beginning just to get suspension onto the shell, cleaned up and painted.

Also some lowering springs.

IMG_20160224_193825_zpskyp12lzq.jpg

Now it's just to get the struts assembled and get the shell back down the right way.

B1ack_Mi16

Did some more painting today.

Btw. do anyone got experience using a 255mm brake booster from a 405. I believe it will fit at least. Found one and decided to spray it at the same time as the rest of the parts.

Thinking of using a 22mm master cylinder from the same 405.

IMG_20160302_213322_zpsgvoi8cmv.jpg

IMG_20160302_213258_zpswinil6f1.jpg