• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Dan Ingram

Gti6 (xu10j4rs) Sensor Identification

Dan Ingram

Complete list of sensors and their function as found on the GTi-6 (XU10J4RS) engine found in Peugeot 306 and Citroen Xsara VTS models.

Sensor-diagram-3.jpg

Blue - Coolant Temperature Gauge Sender

Brown - Cooling Fan Switch (found on models with aircon - not needed for 205 GTi-6 conversions)

Green - ECU Coolant Temperature Sensor

Black - Cam Timing/Phase sensor

White - Knock Sensor

Purple - Oil pressure Gauge Sender (generally only found on Phase 1 306 GTi-6 engines)

Orange - Oil Level Sensor

Red - Oil pressure Warning Switch (sometimes located in place of the Oil Pressure Gauge Sender circled in Purple above)

Yellow - Oil temperature Gauge Sender

Also, the Crank Position Sensor (also known as Engine Speed Sensor) isn't shown in the above diagram, but is located in the top of the gearbox directly above the flywheel.

TB-Sensors-1.jpg

Red - Throttle position sensor (TPS) (TPS is a potentiometer rather than a switch as found on GTi 8v and 1.9 Mi16 engines)

Green - Inlet Air Temperature (IAT)

Blue - Throttle Body Heater

Yellow - Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP)

Thanks to M@tt, Welshpug, and Fletch for providing the information, and to Dan Ingram for producing and labelling the diagrams.

Fox

Just a quick question on the oil sensors,

What do they need to be wired into?

Oil Pressure Sensor ------- Oil Pressue Dash Gauge (Will a 205 gauge work with the GTI6 Sensor?)

Oil Temp Sensor ---------- Oil temp Gauge (Again, will this work on a 205?)

Oil Pressure Light --------- Low pressure warning light on dash

Oil Level Sensor ---------- Can this be rigged up to work like it does on the 306?

Can anyone shed any light? I'm fed up with having no oil gauges!

gti-si

Oil pressure sesnor - which is found on the few phase 1's will wire straight up to the 205 guage yeah, might read out slightly, but this is how I've run mine and it's fine.

Oil temp sensor - This won't work on the 205 guage as it's a 2 wire jobbie not a single wire as per the 205, this need's replacing.

Oil pressure light/switch - wires up to the STOP and Oil pressure warning light

Oil level - not too sure but it's uncecessary I'd say

rubyna

A bit of a thread ressurection, what needs doing to get the oil temp gauge working on the xu10j4rs in the 205?

Thanks for replies in advance...

Luke

richardjw

Thanks, just seen this. Rebuilding a GTi-6 at present, will be taking photos of it, and posting somewhere on here for a reference.

Once I hear it running of course!

hothatch

Good thread, will no doubt help a lot of people out, including me :)

24seven

For oil pressure and oil temperature can you just use the sensors from the 8v engine in the 16v block?

dobboy

I'm puzzled and could do with an option.

I have two engines in front of me.

Eng 1. Already been in a 205, and i bought a new loom for it. Looking face on to it the sensor/switch directly above the oil filter is a grey 1pin type. There is also another grey similar look item over at the right adjacent to where the pipe from cam cover joins block.

The loom doesn't have a socket for this.

Eng2. Has the similar sensor above oil filter, and nothing at the other side.(I don't have loom for this engine.)

Both have oil level and oil temp sensors.

Neither engine has an oil pressure switch looking anything like the sensor ID image on here, or a 205 one. And neither tie up with the info on service box.

Opinions/info/help welcome.

welshpug

the engine pictured is a phase1 engine which used the sender above the oil filter for the gauges, later engines had an oil temp gauge, on many engines they have two oil pressure switches, the grey one pictured, later engines after that have a blanking plug.

dobboy

Thanks for the swift response.

Do you see anything wrong with me doing the following on Eng1.

Fit the 306/205 oil pressure adaptor above oil filter with 306 switch and 205 sender. Use the 306 wire for switch as usual, and use a spare core from the air-con plug to the 306 small round plug for the 205 sender? And ignore the other grey plug to the right?

TIA

welshpug

Thats what most would do.

dobboy

WP/anyone?

On the sensor identification image in this thread it shows the blue sensor on the Tstat as being the coolant sender/switch.... two wire.

On the 1.9 block there are two separate sensors..... temperature and warning light, one wire each, with presumably there operation working via the bock as the earth (2nd pole).

The wiring guide says connect the two wires to the blue plug (400 & 401)to the two wires on the 1.9 wiring 47 & 47A.

How does this operate? is the 306 blue plug actually 3-pole? i.e. 2 pins and the housing as earth?

If so, i should get a resistance between one of the pins and earth (for the guage), and either a short or open circuit on the other pin, to earth, depending on temp?

Has anyone had both their coolant gauge and light working 100% correct based on the guide wiring connections?

TIA

welshpug

blue sender/switch both earth to the engine, one switch and one variable resistance, I believe the resistance value is different to the 205 unit so will give a different reading, so IMO if its going in a 205 I would remove the brown and blue senders and fit both the 205 switch+senders.

dobboy

Thanks WP.

I'm gonna change all sensors for the 1.9 ones to ensure everything works tickity boo.

Engine out on sun, new engine in (to check exh mani, and back out again on sun too, to let me clean my bay up, before permanent.

Thanks again

dobboy

Well the 8v temp sender's thread size is too small to fit the 16v sump.

S@m

Then you need the m16 threaded temp sender from earlier 205's, the only place i could find a new one recenty (unless you get lucky with old stock at a dealer) was from Facet, p/n 7.3099.

dobboy

Another thing I noticed, there must be at least two different versions of map sensors, with slightly different 3-pin plug layouts. You need the correct one to suit your loom.

S@m

They certainly did, somewhere during the ph1 xsara run (so probably ph2 306 era) RP number 8056 was the changeover, ideally you'd have a matching engine/loom from the same car, if not you'll just have to splice the necessary connector on.

dobboy

Cheers, fortunately I had another sensor sitting that matched my loom, only realised after using a mirror trying to search for correct plug under manifold......