• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
All Praise The GTI

205 Base Model To Gti Spec

All Praise The GTI

right in fear of sounding stupid i didnt want to ask but i just wanted to check lol.

ive been looking for a cheap and local clean gti shell to rebuild my trackcar but its not that easy! if i get a 205 base model what would i need to change?

obviously i would be changing 95% of parts for my uprated track bits but i just wanted to check i hadnt forgotton anything and that all will fitt, if i stick a gti front subframe and rear beam on?

do the base models have the same two loom plugs under the dash so i can drop my 6 lump in and plug it in ok?

thanks in advance

hexhamstu

most base model dashes dont have a revcounter and the rear arches are cut differently, if your not putting gti trim on that makes no difference though.

All Praise The GTI

will be changing the instrument cluster so no problem, will the gti one plug in and work fine(rev counter?)

i more than likely want to fitt gti arch trims so it will be full gti spec and appearance,and will be fitting a 309 beam, does this mean archs will need cutting? :P

ment to say im looking at an xs if it makes any difference?

Edited by All Praise The GTI

t16ryan

Nat text me i sure i can find you a decent GTI shell :P will be alot easier starting with a GTi shell :)

GTI6BOY

If your doing it for the weight then dont bother as once you put the gti running gear on the car you save 20kg

All Praise The GTI

not really thinking about weight just need a cheap clean 205 gti shell from local as i dont have a trailer! lol

Anthony

Few differences that spring to mind.....

• You'll need to change the front brake line mounts as they'll foul the droplinks when you change over to GTi front running gear.
  • There's various wiring missing or different, although you can swap the wiring over from your existing 205 - a reasonable amount of work to do so though.
  • Fuel tank and lines as said.
  • Front and rear arches are different, and the door doesn't have the rivits in place, although that's easy enough to sort.
  • General trim and spec differences that don't immediately spring to mind, including things like base models not having tinted glass.
  • Different upper engine mount on pre-88 shells AFAIK
  • No compensators on the rear brake lines, so you'll need to change/redo them.

No doubt plenty of other stuff as well, but that's a start.

All Praise The GTI

ok thanks anthony, think il be leaving the xs and keep lookin for gti's then lol.

jerseypug

i used a pre 88 xs shell and fitted gti everything with a gti6 engine. i had to weld in the top engine mount support, make up brackets for the expansion bottle, cut out the rear arches and buy new rubber mounts where the front sub frame connects to the chassis legs. it was a clean non sunroof shell so it was worth while to me.

SeanO'Connor

Cant you just buy a cheap gti?

All Praise The GTI

i would if i could find a cheap clean preferaby non sunny gti that isnt hours away! lol

Sign in to follow this