• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Paul_13

Tires What Are People Running?

Paul_13

Hi all,

What tires are people running on their Pug?

I'm running a set of yokohama's (ones with the squareish tread pattern) and whenever they see a spot of rain they're every where all over the road.

Just had a kiss with the curb about half an hour ago but luckily there was no damage done, dont know how. Must have a guardian angel watching over me

kyepan

i prefer round ones, the square ones were a drag.

goodyear eagle f1's or toyo proxie t1r

welshpug

I prefer ones spelt with a Y myself :)

I'm a fan of Michelin, BFG, and Falken.

The Yokohama you mention sounds like the A539 that I have on the front of my 205 currently, I've experienced similar to you, they do seem a touch too hard for road use and I wouldn't use them again, their Competition tyres are a different matter though.

large

I am a big fan of plastic fantastic. run a set of anything half tidy and you will thimk you are on slicks. :lol:

Or a nice set of white walls :) .

MerlinGTI

I had A539's upuntill early today, and they are scary as hell in the wet. They are far too hard (ive done almost 20k miles on them and they wernt new when I got them, they still had some life left in them!)

Ive gone from those to yoko pradas and with the limited useage I have given them (35 miles) what an upgrade!

People seem to rate:

Goodyear F1's (although there seems to be massive quality variations depending on where they were made)

Proxies (suppost to wear quickly)

Pradas (not great in the wet)

Check the Grenral forum for pradas at great prices :)

boombang

BFG profilers are my tyre of choice, good all round tyre and wear well.

Last 205 Gti had some sort of Yokos on, didn't have much tread on the face but were great all round tyres. No idea which model though so doesn't help you much.

Cannot stand A539's, were terrible in wet as other people often report and when pushed hard on track blued very quickly and didn't perform consistently.

Also found Proxies to wear way too quickly whilst still being terrible in the wet - seeing as though we live in a pretty wet country, can't see the point in them.

large
I had A539's upuntill early today, and they are scary as hell in the wet. They are far too hard (ive done almost 20k miles on them and they wernt new when I got them,

How the hell did you get 20K out of them I am lucky to get 5K!

bensonmi

michelins are king of the road! try goind from cheapy tyres in the wet,then a set of mich's its a hell of a difference and they last long 2.yokos still good tho i wreckon

MerlinGTI

They are as hard as fook! (we are talking A539's here still yes?), mine were the old 'normal' tread pattern (not the 'X' jobbies) and mine were old hard and perrished. Thats 20k of mainly motorway driving as well.

Still I was also amazed seeing them 'off' today how well they lasted. :ph34r:

Rom

Ive been running Toyos, thinking of a swap to F1s when i replace them though.

Not overly happy with them in the wet. There not bad though

rapidcossie

888's are pretty good in most condtions

jtek

Ran Eagle F1's on mine, cracking grip in the wet and dry, didn't last too long though, especially with firmer suspension, and bulged very easily!

Miles

888's or 048r's are pretty good in damp condition's but not good on the road,

I now use Falken 912's and 452's (You can;t get the latter in anything under 17"), Knocks spot's off Toyo's and Yoko's, Never liked F1's at all, still trying to figure out why they are liked so much

Cabana

Mine had some unpronouncable tyres on it when I first bought it, Nankang somethings I think, they were no where near as bad as I expected them to be, wet grip was decent and consistent and they stood up to abuse quite well...until I took them on a trackday and they just fell apart! :ph34r:

I'm Currently using Yoko Paradas, they're great in the dry but can be a bit inconsistent in the wet, deep or standing water doesn't tend to trouble them but they never feel particulary good on damp or greasy roads.

Mikey S

has anyone used uniroyal rainsports?

i can get them for 20 quid a pop plus vat ( :ph34r: ) so there cheap enough but what do people reckon?

mike

Anthony

Dunlop SP Sports on the XS (185/60R14) and Michelin Pilot Exalto 2's on the GTi (195/50R15). The Dunlops are pretty good, the Michelin PE2's are excellent.

The Mondeo has some scary budget tires on it - two odd random no-name jobbies on the front, and a pair of "Runway" brand rubber on the back :ph34r:

bensonmi
Dunlop SP Sports on the XS (185/60R14) and Michelin Pilot Exalto 2's on the GTi (195/50R15). The Dunlops are pretty good, the Michelin PE2's are excellent.

The Mondeo has some scary budget tires on it - two odd random no-name jobbies on the front, and a pair of "Runway" brand rubber on the back :ph34r:

any cheep tyres that are named like chung lee or jackie chans are a waste of money! you get what you pay for, uni royal rain sports arent bad tho,and for £20 sounds like a bargain!

large
They are as hard as fook! (we are talking A539's here still yes?), mine were the old 'normal' tread pattern (not the 'X' jobbies) and mine were old hard and perrished. Thats 20k of mainly motorway driving as well.

Still I was also amazed seeing them 'off' today how well they lasted. :P

Yer thats the ones I did bule them using the car for work :ph34r: I try and run A021's but they are not very good in heavy rain. Edited by large

chris1986

michelins will be the best, i'm currantly using goodyear excellance and they seem fine and safe in the wet. i too also only got about 6k out of a set of a539's.

pug_ham
i'm currantly using goodyear excellance and they seem fine and safe in the wet.

I also used the Goodyear Excellance on my STDT for about 8k (I got them through Chris) & I agree, good enough for normal road driving. Never had a problem with them sliding or anything even in the wet.

When I got my 306 it had some Conti's on the back & a mixture of Nankang & Nexan on the front, tbh the front gripped better than the back, As I found out (the hard way) when going over a roundabout @ 35mph that I used to do @ 50mph in my STDT & exited it in a tankslapper which luckily avoided the central reservation & bridge on the inside.

I won a set of four 306 Laser alloys on ebay last weekend for £36 which need three tyres (195/55-15) so I can fit them but I'm struggling to find anywhere locally I can get part worn tyres just to last through to next spring when I intend to have some new wheels & tyres for it (Falken 912's). :ph34r:

My GTi has Bridgestone Re720's on the 1.6 GTi alloys & a mix of Bridgestone S02 & Re720's on the track wheels but I've got another new set of S02's to fit soon because I've got to return the 720's to their original owner who doesn't get on with the T1R's on his hillclimb car (can't match his times on them) & wants to put them back on.

I used to run Yoko A509's on my GTi & never had a problem with them even though they were always slated for poor grip in the damp & not lasting long at all. I used to get over 12k from mine iirc & hardly any of that was motorway miles.

Graham.

weejimmy
has anyone used uniroyal rainsports?

i can get them for 20 quid a pop plus vat ( :lol: ) so there cheap enough but what do people reckon?

mike

very good tyre.

one of the beter wet tyres and can hold their own in the dry too,

my preferd tyre for a road car that dosent see the track

Paul_13

From what people had said very tempted to dump the a539's and go for something else.

Preferably F1's, my mate had a set on his chavved up corsa (haha) but they did their job and gripped like fook

Paul

daveyboyblack

I'm using Yoko Paradas for my mi16 for road/track. I've been pretty impressed so far but that's only in the dry. It's very difficult to really comment on which tyres are better unless you use the same car back to back. I know the suspension settings mean my car doesn't really handle like a 205 anymore anyway!!!

Mikey S
very good tyre.

one of the beter wet tyres and can hold their own in the dry too,

my preferd tyre for a road car that dosent see the track

it wont be seeing a track (spent far to much on it! :blush: ) so i will give them a go. cheers B)

mr_exe

Had the Goodyear Eagle's which I liked a lot and would highly recommend but they no longer do them in a 185x60x14, so its now got Dunlop Sport 01's which seem just as good.