• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dave_McC

Coolant Plumbing On Mi16 Conversion

Dave_McC

Having finally got my Mi16 engine into the 205 I'm now trying to work out the the pipes I need to plumb in the cooling system. I've searched on here and quite a few people recomment using the 8v coolant elbow on the Mi16 thermostat housing - but the plastic coolant elbow which was on my (1990) 1.6 Gti does not fit the Mi thermostate housing - the mounting holes are in a different place and the "ring" on the coolant elbow which clamps the thermostat in place is too large a diameter to fit into the thermostat housing.

I want to replace it as I don't want the second (smaller) outlet - I only want the 1 large outlet which connects to the radiator. Where do I source the correct coolant elbow from? - and has anyone got one that they don't want?

Cheers

Dave

Miles

Any 205 Alloy one should fit then, You should see a date stamp on the stat housing so if Pre 1990/1 it will need this, or post the plastic one will fit

Baz

The plastic ones do have a habit of breaking! :)

Dave_McC

Cheers Miles

The Mi lump is from a 1988 BX, but the 205 is a Miami phase 1.5 - so presumably the later size. I'll try to source one of the earlier ones.

Anyone have one knocking around?

Cheers

Dave

trialster

anyone know where the second (smaller) outlet from the elbow is meant to be connected to?

Dave_McC

Trialster, I think the smaller outlet is meant to go to the oil cooler on the front of the block - in the BX the other side of the oil cooler then tees into the bottom hose from the rad.

I plan on plumbing my Mi up slightly differently - in standard plumbing the oil cooler acts as a cooler only - coolant only flows through it after the stat has opened. I'm going to plumb mine so the heater matrix / bypass circuit also flows through the oil cooler - it will then act as an oil warmer to get the oil up to temp quicker - at which point it will start to act in the same manner it was originally intended to. As a result, I need the coolant elbow without the smaller outlet.

Hope this makes sense!

Dave

Sign in to follow this