• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
custard-rallye

Uk Rallye Timing Belt

custard-rallye

im fiting a new timing belt to my 205 this weekend, does anybody have any tips as i just started my apprentiship as a mechanic.

i had a look on auto data and it looked fairly easy.

does anything need to be moved or any help would be great.

trogboy

It is dead easy. You only need to take off the 3 parts of the timing belt cover. The top and middle section are held on by a few M6 bolts and nothing else. From memory you only need to take off the alternator belt and pully to get off the lower timing belt cover. The belt and tensioner are then fully exposed and easy to work on.

I use a cut down 6mm drill bit (about 40mm long) to lock the flywheel and a 10mm bit to lock the cam pully.

You'll need a 6mm square sump plug spanner/socket for the hole in the tensioner. Mine is a Draper one a cost a couple of quid.

Definitely replace the tensioner as it often gives out before the belts do. Not replacing it is a false economy.

Don't forget to take out whatever you use to lock the flywhel before you try and turn the engine over on the starter! Done that before and had myself stumped for about 5mins :)

Ad

custard-rallye

dont worry i got a kit wouldnt just replace the belt thanks for the advice.

swordfish210
It is dead easy. You only need to take off the 3 parts of the timing belt cover. The top and middle section are held on by a few M6 bolts and nothing else. From memory you only need to take off the alternator belt and pully to get off the lower timing belt cover. The belt and tensioner are then fully exposed and easy to work on.

I use a cut down 6mm drill bit (about 40mm long) to lock the flywheel and a 10mm bit to lock the cam pully.

You'll need a 6mm square sump plug spanner/socket for the hole in the tensioner. Mine is a Draper one a cost a couple of quid.

Definitely replace the tensioner as it often gives out before the belts do. Not replacing it is a false economy.

Don't forget to take out whatever you use to lock the flywhel before you try and turn the engine over on the starter! Done that before and had myself stumped for about 5mins B)

Ad

To lock the bottom end an M6x25mm bolt works perfectly and an M10x25mm fits the cam pulley as mentioned.

It's actually an 8mm square key for the tensioner, not a 6mm

christopher

Just remember to tension it properly and make sure it is centred on the tensioner.

Some people use the twist 45 degrees method.

I personally use a fishing weight for 1.5kg tension (as described in the haynes manual) since its very easy to get this wrong and end up with a wizzing sound

custard-rallye

i did the timing belt yesterday everything was fine until i started it today and it started making that wizzing sound what causes it to do that to much tension or not enough??

Tom Fenton

If it is a whining noise it is probably too tight. A whizzing could be that one of the covers is rubbing on the belt, so check that also.

custard-rallye

well it sounds like a friends g40 if that is any help i think i put to much tension on it will sort it at work tomorrow

djinuk

more chance that the alternator is slightly to tight. slacken it off a bit.

custard-rallye

checked it today turns out i put to much tension on it but it still does it so replacing the tensioner it again as im worried i fu*#ed my tensioner bearings

Sign in to follow this