• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
swordfish210

Oil Temperature

swordfish210

Hi, i took the 205 on track yesterday and i have some large concerns about the oil temperature. On a normal drive it is running at about 70C-75C and on the motorway it is up to around 100C, but yesterday, whilst giving it the beans around Castle Combe it was in the region of 140C.

Now i'm pretty sure that this is far too hot as it should really be at 110C MAX. Do any of you guys have problems with oil temperature like this? If so do you think an oil to water heat exchanger would be the way to cure it?

rapidcossie

I regulary have my oil at the last white line before the red on the gauge and have never had a problem.

I run 10 60 oil so its quite thick and can take the heat a bit better.

Im defo going to fit a proper oil cooler tho.

swordfish210

probably should have mentioned that. I'm using a Mobil 1 oil (recomended by Oil Man) in a 5W-40 Grade

oli-pug

Right, well chances are if you've reached 140C the oil will not be in a great state anymore. 40 starts breaking down around 120C iirc, don't quote me on that! lol

For track use, i would use something like a 10w50 or 15w50 and an oil cooler would be a good addition if you're doing a lot of trackdays.

boombang

What guage is this reading on?

If it's standard Peugeot, I wouldn't believe it for a second.

Also worth checking how hot your water temp is (again on a decent guage). An underlying problem in the water system may be raising engine temps.

An exchanger wouldn't help you if this was the case.

Finally would check how much oil is in there - when they are running lower on oil, I've seen a good 10 degree rise.

Spiky

get some silkolene pro s and an oil cooler

on track flat out mine is on half way.

will tell you the temp when i have fitted my new gauge

also agree, change the oil too :blink:

swordfish210

Bit more info to reply to your questions. The oil temp reading is coming from a Carebont Mechanical guage, with a temperature bulb in the sump. The water temp quage never went above 85C all day and that is a reading on a Racetech electrical guage. I'm pretty confidant that the guages (especialy the Oil one) are accurate.

The oil was on the Max line all day (didn't leak any oil which i was very surprised at :wacko: )

Yes a batch of fresh oil was on my list of things to do, i just wanted to see what you guys thought about grade and oil coolers before i rushed in to anything.

I am concerned about fitting an oil cooler though because of the temp that the oil runs at on the road. Anyone know what temperature the thermostats open at on the Mocal sandwidge plates?

Thanks for all the replies

Matt Holley

I think the mocal plate open at 80 degrees, I dont think a water to air would help as my oil temp was really high and my water was 90 degrees max.

I would fit an air to oil cooler and make something up to slot infront of it for road use.

swordfish210
I would fit an air to oil cooler and make something up to slot infront of it for road use.

Bit of cardboard then :wacko:

Matt Holley
Bit of cardboard then :wacko:

Got it in one :lol:

ifcho

got around 130C-140C on a local race....just managed to do 8laps, before killing the engine on 15-50 oil :)

jackherer
Got it in one :)

Try it with the Mocal thermostatic plate first, I don't have any problems with overcooling.

swordfish210

Well the engines coming out in January for a rebuild/modification, so when i'v finished that i think i'll get myself an oil cooler and a thermostat plate and run it like that, probably with vayring degrees of tape over it on track :lol:

Sign in to follow this