• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DM88PUG

Electric Windows

DM88PUG

Hello all

All 3of my lecy windows are failing to work..no sound from the motors trying to work and no blown fuses..any ideas greatly appricated :D

Regards

Dan

grandos

Tried the switches? Do they output any thing when in operation?

3 windows? :D

Edited by grandos

davey sprocket
3 windows? :D

3 Switches presumably?? :blush:

DM88PUG

Hahaha what a twit i am yes *3lecky window SWITCHES* lol sorry

grandos

Cool thought it was a bit weird, did you check to see if there was an output from the switches to the motors? Should be 12V

DM88PUG

So basicaly voltmeter on the motors and try the switches should be 12v if not???and thanks for replying

Edited by DM88PUG

grandos

Pretty much, if not check the earths and then the wires, there is not much more to the system than that.

If you don't have 12V at the motor, then check the input to the switch as if your not getting any voltage there you won't get 12V at the motor.

Either that or a relay has gone. (strange both windows just stopped working)

DM88PUG
Pretty much, if not check the earths and then the wires, there is not much more to the system than that.

If you don't have 12V at the motor, then check the input to the switch as if your not getting any voltage there you won't get 12V at the motor.

Either that or a relay has gone. (strange both windows just stopped working)

where would i locate the relay iv misplace my haynes manual, dough!

and thanks again for replying

mr_exe

The relay is a green one in the glovebox, listen for it clicking (or not) when you press the drivers window switch. Have you checked the fuse?

DM88PUG
The relay is a green one in the glovebox, listen for it clicking (or not) when you press the drivers window switch. Have you checked the fuse?

As i said iv checkd all fuses on the bored, relay is making no sound at all

thanks for replying, any more ideas???

regards

Dan

mr_exe

You need to check for power at the fuse and if there is, then check for power at the relay. It might be worth trying another relay as well.

dch1950

Hi Guys,

I have exactly the same problem. My electric windows just stopped working! Checked the fuse (#9) - OK, swapped in a known good relay. Still nothing. It must be a +12v problem but the circuit is minimal fuse,relay,switches then motor.

There is no relay clicking which says no power from fuse. What are the odds of all 3 switches failing together.(Mind you it is french!"£$). Any inspiration will be gladly accepted.

PS looked a right K**b at the car park when I got too close to the ticket machine and had too shuffle over get out passenger side to get the 'kin ticket.

Dave

M@tt

with the key in the ignition and turned to engine on postion (2nd click) take your drivers window switch out and with a multimeter, probe the pins in the plug. IIRC the centre wire is the 12v feed but check all pins just incase it's not the right one.

If you've not got 12v there then its a case of checking the relay, remove the relay from the fuseboard and check that 2 of the fuseboard relay holes have 12v coming from them with the key in the 2nd position , more than likely you will have 12v here so its either a case that the relay is knackered or the plug from the fuseboard to the window buttons has become disconnected fromthe fuseboard slightly or that there is a break in the wire somewhere between the 2.

my money is on something simple such as knackered relay, disconnected plug or faulty window switch

Edited by M@tt

dch1950
with the key in the ignition and turned to engine on postion (2nd click) take your drivers window switch out and with a multimeter, probe the pins in the plug. IIRC the centre wire is the 12v feed but check all pins just incase it's not the right one.

If you've not got 12v there then its a case of checking the relay, remove the relay from the fuseboard and check that 2 of the fuseboard relay holes have 12v coming from them with the key in the 2nd position , more than likely you will have 12v here so its either a case that the relay is knackered or the plug from the fuseboard to the window buttons has become disconnected fromthe fuseboard slightly or that there is a break in the wire somewhere between the 2.

my money is on something simple such as knackered relay, disconnected plug or faulty window switch

Hi M@tt,

checked the relay by swapping with a known good one - no joy, fuse is ok but no power through fuse when ignition switched to "A". all other accessories are OK. Which one is the fuseboard plug for switches? All three switches failing - naaa.

Thanx

Dave.

M@tt

so if you pull the fuse out and stick your multimeter in either of the holes are you getting 12v at either of the pins?

M@tt

its plug W on the fuseboard pin 1 - wire number 92

61ea8283.jpg

M@tt

also check Fuse 3 and Fuse 9 as both of these would affect the windows from working

Fuse 3 is for the accessoories (but is one of the power feeds for the relay) and fuse 9 is specifically for the electric windows

dch1950

Me again,

Just been out to check for voltage. Took fuse out and got +12 on top side connector. Took relay out and got +12 on 2 out of the 4 connectors. So far so good. Tried switches - no joy.

So power is getting to fuse/relay pair. So now presumably must check to see if the circuit (wires 92 and 92A) are connected and supplying the switches. Progress is being made !

regards

Dave

dch1950
Me again,

Just been out to check for voltage. Took fuse out and got +12 on top side connector. Took relay out and got +12 on 2 out of the 4 connectors. So far so good. Tried switches - no joy.

So power is getting to fuse/relay pair. So now presumably must check to see if the circuit (wires 92 and 92A) are connected and supplying the switches. Progress is being made !

regards

Dave

this afternoons investigation revealed the following

Power to wires 92 &92A connectors (W) on fuseboard , then buzzed plug W to each switch feed pin (middle one).circuit OK

With ignition on checked for +12v on these circuits (driver side anyway) got 12volts OK.Packed up now as it's getting a bit chilly. Next will check switch operation to see if power is switched to the relevant motor. I presume that the driver side switch operates the passenger side motor by earth switching. What was called motor lock in another thread.

Thanx for your help M@tt - I had a rapid intro to fuseboard wiring and moved from novice to king in about 3 e-mails.

Next time I visit my sister (Rivelin Valley Rd) I'll buy you a pint or 3. Thanx again mate.

Dave.

M@tt

no probs mate, it wouldn't be the first time a switch has stopped working.

give it a bit of a clean up and see how you get on, usually they accumulate dust inside and this eventually stops them working.

Phil H

Have you checked that the motors in the doors are actually working?

dch1950

Hi Phil,

I have not had the door card off to check the actual motors. But by elimination I know they aren't actually whirring as the windows don't go up or down. I need to check to see if the +12v feed is being switched to pin 1 or 5 to drive the motor up or down.If that's OK it looks though the motors are duff. Both going is a bit odd though.

What I have deduced is that numbering the switch pins 1-5 we have the following connections on the drivers side switches.

SW1 - Passenger window switch

pin 1 motor -ve

pin 2 Earth

pin 3 +12v cable 92

pin 4 Earth

pin 5 switched +12v feed to passenger window motor.

pin 3 is looped to pin 3 of SW2 and the earths of SW1 are looped to pin2 of SW2

SW2 - Driver window switch

pin 1 motor -ve

pin 2 Earth

pin 3 Looped +12v from SW1 cable 92A

pin 4 Earth connected to X over cable

pin 5 switched +12v feed to driver window motor

the X over cable connects to one switched side of the passenger side switch (SW3) the motor and earths as per SW1&2

with a seperate +12v on cable 92B

This looks nicely symmetrical - it just doesn't work yet. My ruddy central locking has packed up now, I took the passenger door card off as the lock motor was making heavy work of that side's lock so I thought I'd give it a clean and lube. Put it all back together and b******r me it wouldn't work - I love old french electrics don't you.

cheers all

Dave

dch1950

Well I'm still struggling with the windows but at least I know what I'm looking at.

Power goes to all 3 switches (pin 3) and the switches are working OK. So why the **** don't they work. Earth or duff motors is all I have left now (or perhaps another fuse I don't know about - maybe connected via an alarm/immobiliser circuit). Which earth point would the common motor earth be connected to? I can't believe both motors are duff, can you get them off the winder mechanism? My last check with my trusty meter will be the motor feed from pins 1 & 5. You can only go so far with this elimination thing before you start thinking "somebody doesn't like me".

flog on.

Dave

M@tt

have you checked the earth wires from the switch buttons are actually connected to earth? could be a earth plug's been disconnected somewhere, can't remember exactly where they earth to off the top of my head, probably somewhere under the steering column

dch1950
have you checked the earth wires from the switch buttons are actually connected to earth? could be a earth plug's been disconnected somewhere, can't remember exactly where they earth to off the top of my head, probably somewhere under the steering column

I follow your logic, but the qustion that naturally arises is they're working one day and not the next. No stripping out of wires/panels etc - they just stopped.

All 4 earths are looped and I can check to see if an earth is made. There is an earth on the steering column and I'll have a look. But how do we know that's the one that circuit uses ? I read a thread about the earths on the 205, but sub-circuit allocation looks horribly random. If I had been designing the electrics each sub circuit would be earthed to a name/numbered earth point and that point would be in nominated positions on the car - but hey, what do I know.

I checked the switches again but the absence of +12v on the motor + or -ve ons (pins 1 or 5) says oops no earth, or a fuse in the circuit I don't know about.

This really is becoming a pain in arse, it's a funny old life though.

Thanks for stopping me going mad M@tt.

regards

Dave

Sign in to follow this