• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ishan

Poor Mpg On 1.4 Spi

ishan

For a while now my 60k 1993 205 GTX 1.4 has been suffering with really poor fuel economy. I'm getting roughly just about 100 miles to £20 of £1/litre 95 ron, which is just about the same as my Civic VTI and my mates 306 GTI-6!!

I've done a service on it (oil+filter, plugs, leads, air+fuel filter) and i've given the throttle body a good squirt with carb cleaner, which hasn't really changed anything.

It idles bang on 1k, doesnt have any flat spots in the rev range and drives as normal albeit drinking like a V6!!

What should I be looking for/replacing to sure my problem. I am looking to get 40-50mpg like my old 120k 1.4 309 did.

Any help appricated!!

DSC00102.jpg

bren_1.3

how are the plugs looking? overfuelling? does it run a lambda sensor at all?

what are exhaust emmissions looking like?

swordfish210

The lambda sensor may have had it. Or maybe the ECU is stuck in it's "open loop" setting. That'd certanly bugger the fuel consumption up

Edited by swordfish210

ishan
how are the plugs looking? overfuelling? does it run a lambda sensor at all?

what are exhaust emmissions looking like?

It does have a Lambda sensor, and it passed MOT about 3 weeks ago with no problems, although I have misplaced the emmisions printout.

The plugs were just sooty when i replaced them.

Toddy

Check the valve clearances

BERTMAN

nothing todo with the problems, but them wheels look awesome on your car... think ill be gettin some!!

Edited by BERTMAN

Sign in to follow this