• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chrisj21

Rear Beam Rebuild Q's

chrisj21

Hi all,I will be rebuilding my 1.6 beam in the near future and ive seen a rebuild kit on ebay for around £90, does anyone know if this is a good quality kit and if all parts are included? or is there an alternitive?

also does anyone have a pic of where to put grease nipples for future servicing.

thanks all

welshpug

Peugeot sell all you need for a bit less than that IIRC.

Personally I wouldn't fit grease nipples to a standard bearing as you'll never get the grease where you want it to go and end up with a tube full of the stuff.

If I were to rebuild more beams I'd use the Phosphor bronze bushes that 205 parts sell, these would be a good item to fit grease nipples to as you can fit them to feed directly into the bush.

have a search on the forum, its been covered in great detail not too long ago :(

chrisj21

thanks welshpug, it did cross my mind about having a tube full of grease,it was just a thought really.so pug would be my best bet?

what do i need?

thanks

pip470

The Phosphor bronze dont need greese nipples, the metal is pourus and soaked in oil, it is a self lubricating. If you put a blow torch to it, it will dissapate oil. Just as it will do with friction. The shaft that is not in contact with the bearing should be coated in greese to stop it rusting but there should be no other need using the phosphor bronze bearings for regular greasing. Not sure where people have put the greese nipples but id imagine it would be between the inner and outer bearing so in theory the grease should not be able to pass past the bearings. Hope this helps a little.

chrisj21
The Phosphor bronze dont need greese nipples, the metal is pourus and soaked in oil, it is a self lubricating. If you put a blow torch to it, it will dissapate oil. Just as it will do with friction. The shaft that is not in contact with the bearing should be coated in greese to stop it rusting but there should be no other need using the phosphor bronze bearings for regular greasing. Not sure where people have put the greese nipples but id imagine it would be between the inner and outer bearing so in theory the grease should not be able to pass past the bearings. Hope this helps a little.

that makes a lot more sense to put them between two bearings.thats cleared that up a bit.

cheers

Sign in to follow this