• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

Headgasket Failure On 1.9 Gti I Believe

djinuk

On my 1.9 G reg gti 205 i believe my headgasket has failed.

upon buying the car it had a bad missfire , i fixed up the car and took it for mot (missfire still there) , and it passed. I took the car out for a short drive today , kangarooing, the missfire got worse , i had white smoke and loss oil pressure and power until it died on me, i checked the coolant (which was full) and it was empty. I have the car back at home now, is a headgasket the most likely suspect, i also check on the end of my dipstick to fine mayo.

Richie-Van-GTi

Either head gasket or a liner doesnt have the correct protrusion. Head gasket is much more likely. Whip the head off and check, its the only way you will know 100%. You could run a compression test first and that will give a good indication of any failures.

jonnie205

yep head gasket, best whip head off, get it rebuilt then built up with gen pug gasket and new bolts

djinuk

thanks for that, :) well im going to get the head off tomorrow, is there anything i should watch out for, how do you go about getting the timing of these correct, ive done the headgasket on the xs which i used 2x bolts to lock the pulleys, also should i replaced the cam belt, and how much am i looking at for all the parts ,i will also get the head skimmed.

jonnie205

yes two holes, 1 in crank pulley, 1 in cam pulley. Time it up then whip head off. Do not turn engine over when head is off as its got wet liners. You will need new cambelt, water pump, bolts, belt, fluids, oil filter, stem seals, cam seals, inlet gasket, exhaust gasket, exhaust fitting kit. do not tighten bolts as tight as haynes says as they will strip

djinuk

how tight should i go with the headbolts then and it what order ?

Tesstuff

jonnie205 can i ask , do all head gasket failures need all those parts you mentioned?

is there never a case where replacing the head gasket , oil and filter change , and coolant flush would be sufficient?

if the cambelt and water pump has been replaced 1500 miles ago why would they need replacing ?

sorry to ask , you just have me worried about mine now.

best regards

Daz

djinuk

right, been working on it today, undone all the cambelt , exhaust and inlet manifold, oil filler n the little bits around it all, engine mount etc, but the head does not want to budge on the back, i dont want to use lots of force on it, are they known for sticking quite so bad or am i missing somthing ?

Peetypug

how many stretch bolts have you taken off?

there should be 10 iirc

and most importantly dont forget to put the big thick washers on the correct bolt or you will put a hole in the block

djinuk

i missed the last bolt, like a pleb :P. thanks tho B)

ok , head is off, damage as follows, blown all down one side, and cylinder 2/3 (cant remember, here is the pics)

headgasket4.jpg

headgasket3.jpg

headgasket2.jpg

headgasket1.jpg

Sloppy

if water pump and rollers have been replace recently then i would not bother changing them.

i think mine may have gone, did you car tickover ok then miss when reved?

cheers

djinuk

yuppers, as soon as you are having to power (for example pulling of, building up speed , etc..)

Sloppy

bolocks, thats mine gone no doubt then, was you head warped and have you had it skimmed??

djinuk

ive always been told to have them skimmed, due to them being alloy, if it helps , ive not found the job to be to bad so far B)

Sloppy

yea i suppose so, i think a pressure test and a skim is only £80 so well worth it to get it done properly, just be gutted to remove it and find nothing or no sign of faluire on the gasket B)

Nah im sure from what you have with yours it is the same problem, coolant looked murky so its prob rotted the gasket.

Sign in to follow this