• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wardy18

Gearbox Issues

wardy18

Hi all

I really cant remember which box it is (BE1 or 3) but its the lift reverse next to 1st

The gear lever normally stops at 1st and reverse cannot be engaged whether the lift mechanism is lifted but the 1600 box thats been fitted to my 1900 gti doesnt stop so reverse can be engaged whenever, this isnt great unless your used to it as 1st is pot luck as long as you know where abouts it is!!

Its definitely not teh cable as ive tried fitting a brand new one and it still doesnt work at all, does anyone know exactly what is wrong within the gearbox itself?! any diagrams etc as the Haynes is very vague on this part of teh box

Hope you can help

Regards

Simon

welshpug

you've probably got a very early BE1 box, these didn't have a reverse stop facility IIRC, they did have the hole in the top of the box though.

wardy18

yeh its got the whole in the top but it doesnt seem as thou the reverse cable does anythin when screwed in!!

whizzer71

Yep the real early ones had that set up,the gearlever had a collar on it and a nylon "Ramp" next to it to stop you accidently engaging reverse (Mutch like the vauxhall system ARGH did I say Vauxhall ? :( ),Ive only ever seen this set up on an B reg 1.6 Gti that we used to time trial years ago

<_<

wardy18

ah ok well yes it is a 1600 box thats been fitted to my 1900 so maybe it is a very very early box, its a bit crunchy in 3rd so would explain it bein a bit old!!

is there any markings on it so that i can identify it?!

whizzer71

Theres normally a "sticker" above the diff on the flat surface speedo housing side but I would assume that on something this old it will be long gone !

:(

wardy18

haha yeh i very much doubt that on but thanx ill take a look

ive got some 1900 boxes here so i might just swap the 1600 1st and 2nd and CWP/Final Drive into a decent 1900 box

Sign in to follow this