• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Masekwm

Removing Hub Nuts!

Masekwm

Hello.

I'm having problems getting the hubnuts off on my 1.6 Gti. They appear to have been damaged when they were last off, and I can't shift them.

Is it a case of more leverage or is there a split pin involved?

Keith

welshpug

there are 2 types of nuts used generally, one with an R-clip and the other staked.

what are you using? breaker bar usually does the trick, or a scaffold bar (cut sown of course)

Edited by welshpug

Baz

Sounds like it's probably a staked type from what you've said, just undo it, 1" drive set is handy, otherwise a strong breaker bar etc as Welshpug says, can be quite tight.

Masekwm

I was using an extending wheel brace which acts as a cheap 1/2" drive bar. I'm still building a tool set so I'll buy a breaker bar when the shops reopen.

This is what the offending nut looks like, I can't see anything through it. The picture just about shows the damage to the nut. Sorry about the poor photo.

hubnutob0.jpg

welshpug

aah thats not damaged, its the staked type.

M@tt

if your having problems you need to get a punch/chisel and hammer and knock out the staked in bits so that the nut can rotate freely, you'll also probably need as mentioned a bigger breaker bar you can usually do it with a 600mm 1/2" breaker bar but even then you sometimes have to give it some wellie :)

Edited by M@tt

Jrod

Yep it's supposed to be like that and I doubt one of those extending wheel braces is going to undo it, probably snap before! (if it's anything like mine :) )

Maybe try a big bar on it for extra leverage as said above.

Edited by Jrod

Dan Ingram

I've found the easiest way is to leave the car on its wheels, handbrake on and something under the front wheels. Pop the caps off so you have access to the nut. Then a long 1/2 drive breaker bar with a piece of scaffolding bar or a big jack handle in my case and really swing on it. Usually gets the nut off even if you havnt got rid of all the bent in metal on the nut.

Always remember to replace the nuts with new ones :)

edthedrummer

i used a 7foot breaker bar + scaffold pole to get mine off, it was fookin tight!! mind you i had butchered it for a week before i attacked it with the scaffold pole. I'd hammered it, chiseled, blowtorch, swore, poked, beaten etc etc. Just put the car on the ground, so the wheels are touching the floor, get a bloody great breaker bar et voila it would seem.

mi16nut

If you really can't get it off, disconnect the track rod end & shock from the hub & pull the whole driveshaft & hub assembly out & take it down to a tyre place & get them to air gun the nut off. You'll probably need a new driveshaft seal, but sometimes it's the only way.

Mark.

Nathan

If your serious about building a half decent tool kit up and want to be able to do a lot of work on your car easily I'd recommend looking into buying a small compressor and some air tools, stuck nuts and bolts will then become a thing of the past.

GLPoomobile

From someone who has struggled in the past with the wrong tools for the job, you really need as a bare minimum a good hub nut socket (correctly sized of course), the deep ones in a matt black finish, and a decent breaker bar. Add to that a length of solid pipe (scaffold) that you can slip over the breaker bar for extra leverage if needed. Basic sockets and an extending wheel brace are not up to the job, and you will be left infuriated if using them. That is, until they break, and you end up venting your anger on something you'll later regret :)

I always struggle to knock the staking back out, but it's nothing compared to the torque of the nut, so if you've got enough leverage to overcombe the tightened torque amount then you'll be able to twist it around and the staking will push itself out. It's only there to stop the nut working itself loose after all.

jonnie205

beware a cheap compresser and air tool will nothing like touch hub nuts. I have a blue point gun and a 500 litre compressor and even sometimes that can struggle on some 36mm 1.9 hub nuts. With the 1.6 nuts you should be ok with 1/2 drive tooling but on 1.9s and other pugs like 306's you will need 3/4 drive socket and breaker or a very capable air tool setup

Masekwm

Thanks guys,

Got a breaker bar today and have managed to remove the drivers side shaft :)

boombang

Struggled on my mates 306 to do them, 10 seconds of careful blow torch use, and came off without me even breaking a sweat.

Edited by boombang

Tom Fenton

I use my windy gun, rat-at-at-at-wheeeeeeee and off they come......!

welshpug
I use my windy gun, rat-at-at-at-wheeeeeeee and off they come......!

yeah, cant beat one of these :)

48121.jpg

had a go at truck wheelnuts with it, came off and went back on to 300lbfts :)

bloody expensive though, but worth it.

Edp

Thats the way i do it. I had to literally jump up and down on the scafold pole to release mine. They should be torqued up to something like 250NM so they are real tight. Good luck!

I've found the easiest way is to leave the car on its wheels, handbrake on and something under the front wheels. Pop the caps off so you have access to the nut. Then a long 1/2 drive breaker bar with a piece of scaffolding bar or a big jack handle in my case and really swing on it. Usually gets the nut off even if you havnt got rid of all the bent in metal on the nut.

Always remember to replace the nuts with new ones :)

Sign in to follow this