• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JamesLumley

[rally_prep] 205 Tarmac Rally Car - N/a And 274bhp

Peetypug

:)

thats one smart cage

im well impressed :angry:

Alan_M

Very nice install.....

Don't suppose you could take a few pics of seat mounts? Just gathering ideas on how others have done the welding for bucket seats.

JamesLumley

Yea it's Greg and his team at Xsport doing the shell prep...top guys...top job...top spec!

Few more bars still to be fitted but it should be finished towards the end of next week.

The cage is Greg's design with some additional bracing that I have asked for. We have both used experience gained within the circuit and rallying circles to try and put together "the ultimate" 205 cage. It's built for strength not weight saving...after all it's there to do a job not to look pretty!

Any suggestions on a colour for the interior and engine bay? The outside is BMW arctic silver metallic. I was originally going to do it white but I'm now thinking a dark silver.

Will sort out some more pics later.

Rippthrough

There's more steel in there than there is in our spaceframe!

How much does that lot weigh?!

How come you don't run the cross-braces to the corners, if you don't mind me asking?

Edited by Rippthrough

dale205mills

I saw you car today when i popped up to see Rob and Greg

What a beast you are building there and that cage look's the nut's up close :)

welshpug

I just noticed the rear quarter panel, Dimma rally car? :)

24seven

christ! not doin things by halves are you! does it go forward into the engine bay?

JamesLumley

Ripped - we arn't allowed to run a "space frame" as such but my cage triangulates into all the suspension mounting points fore n aft including directly through the boot floor and onto the beam - no more beam mounts. Which unofficially basically makes it a space frame within a std body shell.

Don't get the weight saving that a proper space frame allows but it's built as close to the rules as we can get away with. Also means that we are sitting within a "survival pod" which is the cage - a la wrc, the shell doesn't really do anything any more which means that should we have a shunt, hopefully it's possible to just change a quarter panel / roof skin etc and maintain use of the shell.

There was talk originally of turreting the rear end to run proper coilovers but in the end I decided that with the new rule changes coming in 2009, I didn't want to find the car was ineligable due to such a drastic suspension mod. I will now be running a maxi spec rear beam that the top F2000 cars use over in France.

JamesLumley

Here are some more pics...

DSCN2010.jpg

DSCN2022.jpg

DSCN2012.jpg

Jrod

Doesn't really look that strong to me?

:D:)

Longfield

My wife loves that cage... she said it's great for stringing up Chinese Laundry and drying it whilst on the move! Typical bloody woman... always thinking about the housework when she should be thinking about the fun! :)

I'd personally paint the inside white... i love the contrast of that colour to the outside... also i'd be a hipocrite if i said anything else as that's exactly what i've just done! I've attached a link so you can see whether or not you really want white. http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?a...ost&id=3272

Longfields.

niklas

It could've added more stength looking at the weight of it.

205mattgti

looks great

i have to say my mate had his cage for his 205 done by Xsport, and they did a great job on that

cant wait to seee the finished product

maz89

How much did this cage come to?

Dj_mini

The front turret braces look a bit odd with that plate in there? looks cracking though what weight are you aiming for?

Alastairh

Fantastic.

After popping down to X sport a couple weeks back to collect to turbo items ;) and hearing quite alot about the place from Ben, i was rather intrested to see the place.

Seriously impressed to see high quality engineered cars, and reading Fast Ford today in Tescos waiting for breaky they really are on the up.

Respect, quality work <_<

JamesLumley

No target for the weight. My current car - last time we weighed it was around 800kg without the sumpguard. Since then I've swapped from an ally block mi16 to an iron block gti6 base unit so the weight will have gone up slightly.

The extra stiffness of the cage will more than make up for the 30kg odd extra weight that's been added from the cage bracing. It also now has wider rear arches which weigh a bit. I may also switch back to a steel bootlid and bonnet - from my current fibreglass, not sure yet.

Put it this way, a 306 maxi with 285bhp weighs around 1100kg so anything under this is a bonus. I would think we will end up around the 900kg mark with 274bhp.

Maz...as for costs, call Greg and discuss what you need. We are talking telephone numbers on this build so it's not really appropriate to go into specifics.

jerseypug

looks like the msa are bringing in minimum weight limits for 2009 so it seems like the right way to go

24seven
No target for the weight. My current car - last time we weighed it was around 800kg without the sumpguard. Since then I've swapped from an ally block mi16 to an iron block gti6 base unit so the weight will have gone up slightly.

The extra stiffness of the cage will more than make up for the 30kg odd extra weight that's been added from the cage bracing. It also now has wider rear arches which weigh a bit. I may also switch back to a steel bootlid and bonnet - from my current fibreglass, not sure yet.

Put it this way, a 306 maxi with 285bhp weighs around 1100kg so anything under this is a bonus. I would think we will end up around the 900kg mark with 274bhp.

Maz...as for costs, call Greg and discuss what you need. We are talking telephone numbers on this build so it's not really appropriate to go into specifics.

everywhere I've seen specs of the 306 maxi its under 1000kg

welshpug

980 IIRC the maxi weighs, the GpN 306 weighed in at 1100kgs.

JamesLumley

My mistake, the maxi was around 960kg, not sure where I got the 1100kg from!

Edited by JamesLumley

welshpug

so your 205 is basically going to be quite similar to the French F2000/maxi type 205's? :D

Edited by welshpug

JamesLumley

Similar but hopefully better :D the main f2000 cars I have specs on don't seem to be over about 240bhp

They do however have the sequential box which I'm not yet quite ready for so I'll give them top honours for now :lol:

JamesLumley

Took the bumpers and arches in today to see whether the 17inch wheels will fit.

Looks like they will need some minor trimming to fit perfectly but surprising amount of room for such a large (17x9 rim)

These are Paul's wheels but mine are a similar size....think they suit the body quite well!

DSCN2032.jpg

DSCN2028.jpg

DSCN2035.jpg

cybernck

yep that looks amazing!

with the risk of sounding chavvy, i must say that 17's suit Dimma's perfect :angry:.