• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dan Ingram

106 Gti Clutch Problem

Dan Ingram

My friend has a 106 GTi and the clutch has stopped working completely. Not really knowing anything about 106s does the clutch work via a cable or is it hydrualic. Also if it does come to taking the gearbox out does anyone have any tips to make life easier??

Sandy

It's cable, check the top of the gearbox first to see if the clutch lever moves when someone pushes the pedal.

Dan Ingram

Thats the first thing i'll be checking. Just wanted to make sure it was a cable and not some hydraulic system. Are there any known faults with arms snapping or anything like that?

AdamP

The clutch stopped working on my 205.... it turned out the thrust bearing had come off the lever arm and was hanging freely from the input shaft having been mashed around a bit!

New, thrust bearing and hopefully all is dandy.

Sandy

As Adam says, the release bearings go awol or collapse and the auto adjuster cables go schitzo too. Better replaced with a manual one IMO. It's an awful cable to replace, make life easier by unbolting the clutch pedal and tearing out the sound deadening if you're a savage.

Dan Ingram

Excellent thanks, i'll investigate more at the weekend :)

Sign in to follow this