• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

benny205mi16

Mi16 Which Gearbox?

benny205mi16

Hello,

This is my first post on here,

What I am asking is,

I am rebuilding an mi16(alloy block) to fit into a 205,

But I am unsure what gearbox to use, What I am after is the one which will accelerate the quickest,

Which from my very limited know how on 205s, I belive this is the 1.6 gearbox, Does this reduce the top end much over the other gearboxes(1.9 mi16) Also would I find that I would be revving the engine very high if I were to travel on motorways? If the 1.6 gearbox was fitted.

thank you

benny205mi16

Thank you I will take a look.

I was going to try a search but on the main page of the forum it said the search function was off line.

Garry

No worries, it has been doing that alot to me recently.

Your right though, the 1.6 box is a popular choice.

benny205mi16

Thanks.

Am I right i thinking that the 1.6 has thinner diameter drive shafts than a 1.9 Are the 1.6 ones ok to run with a mi16 or is it possible to put the 1.9 drive shafts with a 1.6 gearbox?

benny205mi16

On the link you gave me, do you know what program it is made in, when I try to open it, my computer says it cannot open it and give me the choice to search the internet or choose from a list.

miamistu
On the link you gave me, do you know what program it is made in, when I try to open it, my computer says it cannot open it and give me the choice to search the internet or choose from a list.

That's a microsoft excel file. :blush:

Anton green

Stick a 1.9 box on it with a mi16 gearbox's final drive. It's what I have and it is good!

I believe Neal @ des developments used to run a 1.6 box with a mi16 final drive. In theory this'll be quicker accellerating in 1st gear and 5th than a 1.9 box, but only if you can get the power to the tarmac. Motorways with a 1.6 box and mi16 final drive I'd imagine to be quite irritating. You could always change the 5th gear for a higher one, check the gear ratios chart above

Sandy

I reckon the Mi16 box is the best all rounder, it already has the 1.9 1st and 2nd ratios (the important ones and not the silly 1st-2nd rev drop of the 1.6), 3rd and 4th ratios are slightly tall (but overall inc final drive the same as the 1.6 box), you can fairly easily swap the 3rd/4th cluster for the 1.9 ones though and 5th is a nice cruising gear. Ideal!

benny205mi16

Thank you for your help eveyone.

you have been very helpfull.

boombang

If you are even thinking of using it on the road, I'd 100% agree with Sandy and use the Mi16 box. 306 xsi or S16 would do fine too if you were after a BE3 type too.

I've had a 1.6 with Mi FD before and 1st gear was next to useless.

Current build has a 1.9 with Mi FD but that car shouldn't see more than a couple thousand road miles (to and from track days until I am happy enough to compete in it)

Edited by boombang

sorr

I like my 1.9 box with 1.6 final drive. Nice close gearing, but with a long 1st geat to help with traction.

petert

My vote is 1.9L box with Mi16 final drive, or Mi16 box with 3/4/5 changed to 205 gears. You can always change to a 0.81:1 5th gear (from an Mi16x4) if you think it over revs too much. The 0.86:1 5th from the 205 isn't going to make it rev too much, over the 0.76:1 Mi16 5th. It's only a 14% increase. Cruising at 3600 at 100km/h is hardly an issue, when you consider what you've gained in acceleration.

stux

Have a look.

185/55/15 wheels!

skrzyniach7.th.jpg

C_W
Thanks.

Am I right i thinking that the 1.6 has thinner diameter drive shafts than a 1.9 Are the 1.6 ones ok to run with a mi16 or is it possible to put the 1.9 drive shafts with a 1.6 gearbox?

The gearboxes are all the same fittings so there's no differences.

Stick a 1.9 box on it with a mi16 gearbox's final drive. It's what I have and it is good!

I believe Neal @ des developments used to run a 1.6 box with a mi16 final drive. In theory this'll be quicker accellerating in 1st gear and 5th than a 1.9 box, but only if you can get the power to the tarmac. Motorways with a 1.6 box and mi16 final drive I'd imagine to be quite irritating. You could always change the 5th gear for a higher one, check the gear ratios chart above

A 1.9 with an Mi16 final drive will be the same as a 1.6 with an Mi16 final drive since ratios 2/3/4/5 are the same in the 1.6 and 1.9 gearboxes; the only difference is the 1.9 has a slightly longer first ratio (apart from of course the 3.6 vs 4 final drive).

I reckon the Mi16 box is the best all rounder, it already has the 1.9 1st and 2nd ratios (the important ones and not the silly 1st-2nd rev drop of the 1.6), 3rd and 4th ratios are slightly tall (but overall inc final drive the same as the 1.6 box), you can fairly easily swap the 3rd/4th cluster for the 1.9 ones though and 5th is a nice cruising gear. Ideal!

But that sounds very custom though! as the Mi16 has shorter gearing all round compared to a 1.9 gearbox; IMO the standard Mi16 gearbox is a good match for the engine but the first 2 gears are too short as it's designed to get 1250kg off the line rather than 910kg and it'll harm acceleration IMO.

I find the 1.9 with a 1.6 final drive is a good setup as it retains the linear 1.9 ratios (ie no 1st to 2nd gap like the 1.6 ratios), motorway cruising isn't too bad - you get used to it!

KRISKARRERA
but the first 2 gears are too short as it's designed to get 1250kg off the line rather than 910kg and it'll harm acceleration IMO.
Jesus H Christ how many times do I have to correct you boyz!!!!! B)

It's 1110kgs for a 1.9 405 Mi16!!! (1170kgs for the 2 litre).