• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Edp

[car_restoration] My Sorrento Rebuild

thirdtimelucky

Just read all 18 pages, top notch work Ed an inspiration to all. Id love to build a factory looking 205 gti6 to such a high quality. Be nice to see it up close when its 100% finished. perhaps at a southern meet in the spring if you still have her.

Paul

yanto

Anyone know whats happening with this project? Its been a brilliant read cant wait to see it finished.

Come on pull your finger out and get some pics up!!! :)

jordGTI

it would be nice to see an update

Edp

Quick update,

After having the engine running for a while it did have a distinct tap. Not a tick like injectors but a proper tap in the head. My worries were realised when Matty gti popped over in his mint 306 and he let me listen to his engine. His purred mine tapped to say i was gutted was not the half of it.

So with a quick email to QEP I had the head off in two afternoon stints and dropped the head down to Sussex on a Saturday morning. The next week I had the head back, 300 notes lighter and to confirm my suspicions two inlet valves were bent. Oh well you live and learn the engine was unknown anyway so I took it in my stride. It was either a snapper at some point or I f***ed up the cambelt when I changed it but i'm sure I didnt.

Long story short it now sounds much better and I even had it out on the private road for a quick drive to see how she goes. Without really pushing it it feels great, loads of torque and I'm looking forward to getting it on the road properly. This won't happen now until after I'm married which is very soon :)

The rear glass is done, just need to find a decent phase 2 rear spoiler (let me know if you have one!!) Still need to tidy up some wiring inside and wire up the heated front screen but this can wait until the summer. Will get some more pics up soon. Cheers for all the comments guys.

matty_gti

Nice one Ed, glad you got it fixed :)

Edp

Cheers Matt, it sounds a whole lot better now!

I might be in touch soon actually firstly about those tyres I need fitted and also I need a new oil temp sender for the gti6 as the one on the car dosen't seem to work. I will give you a buzz.

Edp

Well I've just found some pictures of when I had to take the head off, nothing amazing but thought i'd share.

Lets say it was interesting undoing and refitting the exhaust manifold nuts and studs :D anything can be done with a dogged attitude!

Headoff.jpg

head.jpg

I have got a couple of before and after movies which I will post soon of what it sounded like and what its like now. Here we go!

Anyway I moved onto the air filter as I wasn't happy with the cone filter I bought from builders solutions. I mean there was nothing wrong with the filter but it didn't fit properly because of the top rad hose and the battery box . So I bought a 75mm 90 silicone hose bend and cut this down to size, I then measured the exact size I had to play with and went on the K&N website and found a perfect fit universal filter. I'm well pleased with the outcome.

Airfilter1.jpg

airfilter2-2.jpg

I did give the old girl a polish this weekend but I forgot my camera, Doh! I will update again soon, probably once she's on the road ^_^

feb

Congratulations, this work is inspiring and you have paid great attention to details, the car is better than new! :D

Edp

Cheers Feb, you have PM :lol:

Congratulations, this work is inspiring and you have paid great attention to details, the car is better than new! B)

Edp

She had her MOT last saturday and she only passed! after 5 years of ownership, 3 and a half years of rebuild she's finally on the road. She went through with no issues apart from the fact it should have a cat but I blagged it by saying the lump was a Mi16 from a J plate

Cant compare it with my Mi16 yet as I haven't driven it enough but it does have plenty of torque. Couple of things i need to do before I'm really happy, the tracking needs doing and the dash rattles like a bastard

Anyway here's a few pics and two of it next to my mechanic mates rather clean cosworth.

post-3253-1248892640_thumb.jpg

rearone.jpg

jennyssnaps1edscar103.jpg

jennyssnaps1edscar031.jpg

jennyssnaps1edscar029.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/ewP...s1edscar090.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/ewP...s1edscar061.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/ewP...s1edscar026.jpg

gti-si

Absolutely stunning. Love the Air Filter solution.

Really awe inspiring work.

dale205mills

Sell me that cosworth if that is yours as I want it :( another brand new 205 on the road

Galifrey

That is some nice work you did there, stunning looking car

Arahan

Was on eBay not so long ago too!

Gentry_Ba

you can't sell such a amazing car! :):wub:B)

DrSarty
you can't sell such a amazing car! :):wub:B)

Well going by prices mentioned for 205s in Germany, this may be worth buying to take it over and perhaps double your money. :wub:

Arahan

Perhaps it was Pistonheads where I saw it then! Im on both that often i think they've merged in my mind! lol!

Edp
Perhaps it was Pistonheads where I saw it then! Im on both that often i think they've merged in my mind! lol!

Easy done :wacko:

allye

Simply stunning! Factory fresh, wish I had the time and money (and knowledge :lol: ) to take on such an amazing project, would love to some day drop a GTI-6 engine in my rallye, such a great engine. The Mi16 always seems a bit dated to me!

Ali

Daniel185

Inspirational build.

monkee87

Where did you get the heated front screen? I want one! :D

Also, where did you get the French dials and how much were they?!!! I had them in my old GTi and want them so bad in the one i have now... Please tell meee! :huh:

Edited by monkee87

Edp
Where did you get the heated front screen? I want one! :D

Also, where did you get the French dials and how much were they?!!! I had them in my old GTi and want them so bad in the one i have now... Please tell meee! :(

Heated screen was acquired thought a forum group buy about a year and a half ago.

The French dials are from well erm... France :D

French ebay to be exact!

Hope that helps

monkee87
Heated screen was acquired thought a forum group buy about a year and a half ago.

The French dials are from well erm... France :(

French ebay to be exact!

Hope that helps

Aw man. A heated front screen would have been awesome. :D

What are the dials called in French? I've been looking, but i can't find! Can even find lockwood dials on ebay.fr...