• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Edp

[car_restoration] My Sorrento Rebuild

Edp

mat1227

Nice nice nice :) well done mate

Alastairh

Looks lovely :)

welshpug

veeeryyyy nice :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/ewP205/Eh-.jpg

that'll be where the charcoal canister's purge pipe vents to via the EVAP solenoid, not used in an euro spec 205 (IIRC late AUS spec 205's had a charcoal canister!)

so just blank it off to prevent an air leak.

Edited by cybernck

DrSarty

Pure art. Makes me feel decidedly lazy :)

Keep it up; not long now eh?

taylorspug

Ed that looks bloody fantastic, all credit to you mate!

I see you slipped onto one of those air filters from CBS in the end.

Not sure what you mean about the speed sensor wire? Have you got a wire number on it?

huckleberry

Shiny and new looks great! :angry:

GLPoomobile

This 205 makes me want to do a sex wee................................ahhhh, that's better :angry:

Seriously, top work Ed :(

Super Josh

Mmmmm Factory fresh :huh:

Josh

Edp
that'll be where the charcoal canister's purge pipe vents to via the EVAP solenoid, not used in an euro spec 205 (IIRC late AUS spec 205's had a charcoal canister!)

so just blank it off to prevent an air leak.

Thats what I wanted to hear, cheers! Although on this very model it had a canister of some sort in the passenger wing near the wheel. Its a 1993 plate.

Pure art. Makes me feel decidedly lazy :huh:

Keep it up; not long now eh?

I'm hoping to have it done by the summer. Although theres still loads to do. I'm loving it at the moment though as its all the clean work putting it back together and working out where to run stuff so it looks neat and does it job. I hated stripping it down. Well pleased with it now though :P

Ed that looks bloody fantastic, all credit to you mate!

I see you slipped onto one of those air filters from CBS in the end.

Not sure what you mean about the speed sensor wire? Have you got a wire number on it?

Those filters are really good value! look the business too. Cheers for that :)

I think the wire is no: 465, when i went through all the wires this is all i have left unconnected apart from 2 which go to the oil level gauge which dosent exist on the 205. . .

So just need to finish the engine off, work out what to do with the rad, buy and get the front wheel bearings changed, finish the brake lines and fill up with fluid, oil the engine and gearbox, buy a new battery, buy and modify an exhaust, fit the front and rear glass, finish the body trims and get some badges, put the seats back in, tidy the wiring and hope it all works :P , fit the toad alarm/immobiliser, get the last few parts powder coated including a spare wheel, buy new number plates, get taxed and tested, insure and drive when sunny. Job done. :lol:

cheers for the comments guys, it keeps me going!

Edited by Edp

maxi
Thats what I wanted to hear, cheers! Although on this very model it had a canister of some sort in the passenger wing near the wheel. Its a 1993 plate.

I'm hoping to have it done by the summer. Although theres still loads to do. I'm loving it at the moment though as its all the clean work putting it back together and working out where to run stuff so it looks neat and does it job. I hated stripping it down. Well pleased with it now though :P

Those filters are really good value! look the business too. Cheers for that :P

I think the wire is no: 465, when i went through all the wires this is all i have left unconnected apart from 2 which go to the oil level gauge which dosent exist on the 205. . .

So just need to finish the engine off, work out what to do with the rad, buy and get the front wheel bearings changed, finish the brake lines and fill up with fluid, oil the engine and gearbox, buy a new battery, buy and modify an exhaust, fit the front and rear glass, finish the body trims and get some badges, put the seats back in, tidy the wiring and hope it all works :lol: , fit the toad alarm/immobiliser, get the last few parts powder coated including a spare wheel, buy new number plates, get taxed and tested, insure and drive when sunny. Job done. :huh:

cheers for the comments guys, it keeps me going!

Ed, prepared to be swamped with PM's from people asking you to do their conversion too!!! Looks better than factory mate, absolute top job! When I see you in person, just a couple of suggestions I normally keep under my hat that you might like to implement! Really really is A1 work!

Maxi

Peetypug

i must say

that is bloody sexy

if mine turns out half as good as this i'll be over the bloody moon

you've set a shining example with this

de Noir

I think I missed something..

What sort of paint did you use for engine block, inlet manifold and gearbox casing? Primer? Air gun or spray can?

Edp
Ed, prepared to be swamped with PM's from people asking you to do their conversion too!!! Looks better than factory mate, absolute top job! When I see you in person, just a couple of suggestions I normally keep under my hat that you might like to implement! Really really is A1 work!

Maxi

Cheers Maxi, that means a lot. We'll have to hook up now as I'm intrigued on these suggestions :D

I think I missed something..

What sort of paint did you use for engine block, inlet manifold and gearbox casing? Primer? Air gun or spray can?

On the block I used Gloss black Sperex engine enamel and on the head, sump and inlet manifold the same stuff but in Matt silver. Really good stuff and dries real quick.

post-3253-1206728360.jpg

The gearbox casing was sand blasted and powder coated as it was smothered in grease and would've taken a month of evenings to get it looking like that! I had a right touch with that too, the guy got confused with my order as I had loads of bits and the gearbox ended up only costing a tenner <_<

Cheers pete, its hard work but really rewarding.

Paintguy

Bump :)

Finished yet fella?

Edp
Bump :D

Finished yet fella?

:D If only! How about you mores to the point? put that lump in yet?? :mellow:

Anyway I haven't spent as much time on the old girl as I'd like at the moment as I have laminate flooring to lay, architraves to put up and skirting to paint so the car has taken a back seat but I hope to crack on Sunday and have some more bits done. Even with all the work I'm carrying out on my property I have had a few days here and there :)

Most of my efforts have been sorting out the coolant pipes. I found an online irrigation company (the name escapes me now) which sells barbed bends and joiners for 20mm and 25mm hose so these are perfect for getting round awkward places by cutting my new set of BBM hoses.

Barbed-joiners.jpg

Hose.jpg

hose1.jpg

A new metal coolant pipe which connects the rear of the block to the radiator was a must (you should have seen the original pipe!) I've also got a Nissens ally radiator on its way.

Waterpipe.jpg

I also went for one of the xu10 thermostat adapters for an 8v hose to be used on the '6' lump, these were available from a group buy and its a nice bit of kit. This should save another cut and join as I hope to lower the radiator and use the existing fan cowling.

8vconvert.jpg

And last but not least cheers to rich (Drsarty) for a superb set of his 1.9 GTi badges which not only look the boll ocks but saved me a good 20 odd notes so I didn't have to go to Pug for them. I haven't fitted them yet because I want to roll her out of the garage on a sunny day and take some good shots and do them justice.

Badges.jpg

Update next week hopefully, stay tuned :)

GLPoomobile
Anyway I haven't spent as much time on the old girl as I'd like at the moment as I have laminate flooring to lay, architraves to put up and skirting to paint so the car has taken a back seat but I hope to crack on Sunday and have some more bits done

Sod that! Get the 205 finished and live in it instead :D

Ed, another top update, and more great solutions. I look forward to these updates more than any other on this forum - I simply love what you have done! Such attention to detail, such quality, and it just looks :) :) :D

On the subject of details, it's the little things like the bracket and P clips on the bulkhead to support the speedo cable, and whatever is in the red sleeving ( :mellow: )......BUT.....with the speedo cable clipped right next to the coolant hose, aren't you worried it's going to dry and go sticky fairly quickly? Wouldn't it be better to move it away from them, or even better, use some fancy high temp wrap to heat proof the cable?

Edited by GLPoomobile

Edp

Cheers for the comments.

I look forward to the updates too so I can have come backs like yours! :(

The red sleeving is heat proofing on the loud pedal cable. I had thought about trying to re-route the speedo cable but the bugger is too short (bad design anyway IMHO) but I had already thought about wrapping it.

Plus I have bought a 306 heat shield which sits between the manifold and the cables but isn't in that picture.

To be honest though I wrapped the one on my other 205 and routed it away from any heat source and guess what? the needle still shakes!

welshpug

try a 405 speedo cable, its a bit longer but has the same ends :(

loving the attention to detail, the 306 heat shield you mention is that the Foil coated one normally attached to the bulkhead?

Edp

Hmmm Gsf here I come :(

Yep its the foil coated thingy that I've cut down and it does just fit although looking at other conversions most people don't seem to bother. I think I'll get the engine running then see how it goes.

Edited by Edp

Alastairh

Great update.

Good idea on the heat sheild. I had sourced one for my 205 when i was going to turbo it aswell :(

milk_churn

Amazing job!

Any chance of a repost of the roof work again? the link to the pictures doesn't seem to work

Edp
jord294

i can't believe i've missed this project :D

looks like i've got a lot of reading to do. :D